Telecaster Baseplate, Soldering Copper to Brass

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music & Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
I had to Dremel inside the bridge pickup cavity to make room for this contraption. And the pickup is not centered correctly in the bridge housing, as you can see. Im gonna have to make a more accurate baseplate with better measurements, from the original Telecaster copper baseplate, it didn't line up too well. I'd like to make it perfect, If it's at all possible. It should only take 10 min or so to make another one. I'll try it again, back to the drawing board.

20220124_155237.jpg

Last edited:

Hal Nico

Squier-Nut
Dec 21, 2020
UK
I'm here at the moment. The hardest part is finished.

There's some Telecaster PGs on AliExpress( I've had loads of stuff of them over the years,no problems) that might suit the Lipstick PUP,

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/telec...stick&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20220125053616

The PG on my Wesley Strat is from AliExpress,

MzGb8P5.jpg

Also the Fleor Humbucker in my HSS Harley Benton ST-62.

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music & Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
I'm going to install a Strat style neck in the Pig later on today, simply because It fit rather nicely in the neck pocket. A no brainer.

If anyone noticed, There is some spacing around the Bridge and pickup cavity where I dremeled out to make it fit.

Because I'm leaving it a relic, it will work out rather nicely I'm sure...

20220125_092040.jpg

Last edited:

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
I'm going to install a Strat style neck in the Pig later on today, simply because It fit rather nicely in the neck pocket. A no brainer.

If anyone noticed, There is some spacing around the Bridge and pickup cavity where I dremeled out to make it fit.

Because I'm leaving it a relic, it will work out rather nicely I'm sure...

View attachment 224455
Your next Project should be making a Bridge Base Plate to hide Your Mod of Cavity! Hope it sounds good.

Michael7

Dr. Squier
Jan 12, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA USA
The cracks really come with the Tele territory. If you look up "Butt Crack" on TDPRI, there are 20 pages of links to hundreds of threads. Many or most of them on genuine Fender models. So no reason to not just run with them on a Partscaster. If you really get tired of seeing them, you could find a modern bridge with the 6 block saddles with a bigger footprint and go with that. Usually more comfortable for the right hand. And get easier intonation to boot.

BeepBoop

Squier-Meister
May 30, 2019
ND, USA
The cracks really come with the Tele territory. If you look up "Butt Crack" on TDPRI, there are 20 pages of links to hundreds of threads. Many or most of them on genuine Fender models. So no reason to not just run with them on a Partscaster. If you really get tired of seeing them, you could find a modern bridge with the 6 block saddles with a bigger footprint and go with that. Usually more comfortable for the right hand. And get easier intonation to boot.

Learn something new every day! Never knew of tele butt cracks. Ironic since I get yelled at frequently for similar things. FWIW I didn't notice them until pointed out.

yegbert

Squier-Meister
Dec 12, 2009
Clinton, Maryland USA
What you have there is known as a "triple butt crack" in Tele-land!

Keep up the good work, I love this project! Good looking guitar, too!

LOL,
I guess I could cover the triple ass crack with an ashtray. I'm thinking now.

I’m not sure exactly how the measurements of the different pieces come together; but if it’s only the spread of the pickup’s legs that prompted the rout widening; if you reengineer those to fit within the normal width of a standard baseplate, you could then fill the rout edges with plastic wood and cover with something like paint, you could remove the butt crack. If it seems problematic to you. I’ve done it on one Squier Standard Series Tele that came from the factory with an HB in its bridge position, to convert to bridge SC.

48888BDB-2FD2-47F8-A111-01F07E9FBC36.jpeg
C1C4355B-ECFF-4DF8-8BD2-E70858967FA2.jpeg