Telecaster Baseplate, Soldering Copper to Brass

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music & Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
I need to solder a lipstick pickup that has a brass mount to a copper Tele baseplate. Is this doable with just a soldering iron. The lipstick base plate is not magnetic, so I'm assuming it's brass

20220123_172726.jpg 20220123_172715.jpg

AcrylicSuperman

Squier-Meister
Jan 12, 2021
Arizona
I'm not sure it can be done with a soldering iron, but I know the two metals are compatible. Give it a shot. I know you need more heat when it comes to pipes but since this is such a small area, I'd think that a soldering iron could potentially get the job done. Wont know until you try.

Angry Possum

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
Instead of unnecessarily exposing the pickup to a lot of heat, I recommend drilling holes in the baseplate and attaching the pickup with screws, which would not require any heat at all.

The baseplate of the lipstick pickup is too long to mount to the Tele baseplate. It has to be soldered to the plate. I thought of that already. Thanks.

BeepBoop

Squier-Meister
May 30, 2019
ND, USA
Can the lipstick basplate be removed, i.e. 3 holes drilled in tele baseplate, 1 for wire, 2 holes for the 2 studs/ground? I dont know how lipsticks are constructed, so if not a viable idea, my bad.

Hal Nico

Squier-Nut
Dec 21, 2020
UK
The baseplate of the lipstick pickup is too long to mount to the Tele baseplate. It has to be soldered to the plate. I thought of that already. Thanks.

If your Soldering iron is around 60w or above then make sure you deoxidize the area with a bit of grit paper just before soldering and pre-heat the area with a Hairdryer. The less work the Iron has to do to warm up the metal the easier it will be :)

Angry Possum

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
What about JB-weld, or another adhesive? I don't know that a soldering iron will be able to put enough heat into the base plate to melt solder. You could pre-heat the baseplate in an oven.

I like this idea. However I think I'm going to try and make a thick plastic Tele style baseplate and then attach the lipstick pickup to it, ill see if it works with respect to grounding issues. It should because the lipstick pickup has a baseplate connected to it anyways and it's grounded so I can run the ground from the lipstick baseplate to another ground in the cavity, it's worth a try. Or I can try the JB Weld etc or Flux, if all else fails.

Last edited:

yegbert

Squier-Meister
Dec 12, 2009
Clinton, Maryland USA
So the pickups’ feet stick out too far, right? Sounds like whatever you do, you need to cut off the feet. You can do that carefully (leaving a straight edge in the legs) with a dremel like tool and a few thin cutting wheels. Then I would use some epoxy like JB Weld to either reaffix the feet underneath and then screw mount them to a baseplate, or even just epoxy the pickup legs (sans feet) straight to the baseplate. You don’t need heat of soldering, just epoxy.

Angry Possum

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
So the pickups’ feet stick out too far, right? Sounds like whatever you do, you need to cut off the feet. You can do that carefully (leaving a straight edge in the legs) with a dremel like tool and a few thin cutting wheels. Then I would use some epoxy like JB Weld to either reaffix the feet underneath and then screw mount them to a baseplate, or even just epoxy the pickup legs (sans feet) straight to the baseplate. You don’t need heat of soldering, just epoxy.

Yes correct, the feet go past the Tele baseplate. But that's not the real issue. The issue is if I had a plate that was slightly longer, I can then screw the ears into the original Tele baseplate.

So the last thing I've done was made a plastic template from the original Tele baseplate dimensions and made it a little longer. I glued and doubled it up for a little extra thickness. I think it will work now, it's pretty thick and should be secure enough. I'm sure I'll be able to screw the lipstick baseplate with the pickup into the new plastic Tele baseplate. I'm just waiting for the glue to dry. Once it's dried thoroughly I'll attempt to screw the lipstick pickup with it's original base into the plastic Tele baseplate.

**I had to Dremel inside the Tele Pickup Cavity, to get the bridge to line up properly with the body.

Last edited: