tele repair

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Bern Noseworthy, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Bern Noseworthy

Bern Noseworthy Squier Talker

Sep 28, 2015
    My Squier thinline is only 4 years old. I took it to Long and McQuade for an assessment on a trade. It turns out that both pick ups are gone at the same time, very rare to have happen. I quoted 365.00 to repair and I only paid $399.00 new. I am in need of two pick ups and a wiring diagram. Can someone help?
    Bernie

2. LeftLaneLargeCar

LeftLaneLargeCar Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    West Plains,Mo
    The wiring is all going to depend on the pickups you choose to go with. Do you have something in mind?

3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Should be able to buy and replace the pickups yourself for a LOT less than that. Seymour-Duncan has wiring diagrams on their site. You should be able to do it without that though. Just replace one wire or connection at a time to where they are now.

Hammer 4 likes this.
  4. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Administrator Staff Member

Dec 30, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    Ken at Rose pickups is a member here, you should talk to him about new pickups. You won't be disappointed.

duceditor and jamndad like this.
  5. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Wait., I'm I reading this correct? You got quoted $365.00 for two new pick ups?

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Whooh Up there..$365 to replace two pickups????
    What you need to replace is your tech...
    Try to find someone you can trust to take a peek at that..
    My guess is that there is something unsoldered and not two bad pups at the same time..

wickedtools, Caddy and Hammer 4 like this.
  7. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Dr. Squier

Apr 14, 2015
    San Pedro, Ca.
    I agree with Papa..Someone is trying to take advantage of you..Even if you had 2 bad pups, they can be repaired, or at worst replaced in minutes, as ghostwolf said, Ken Rose is the man, he makes Great pups, and Very affordable..Good Luck, and let us know what happens.

8. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Seems kind of steep, odd they would both fail simultaneously. I wonder if it may be something else.

9. Slidertom

Slidertom Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2014
    So-Cal
    I agree with PJ and ghost wolf. I believe there is a problem with the tech.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Jim Belaye likes this.
  10. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    With the price he quoted I almost feel like he killed the pups himself so he'd have the opportunity to take advantage of you. That is STEEP!!!! Even if you went with Seymour Duncans it should cost less than $200, pickups included. I'd open up the controls and see if anything is noticibly broken or missing. Post some pics, maybe we can find something.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    That $365 quote to replace 2 pups just screams LOOK OUT..There's something else going on with that..And it just ain't right..
    If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck then my money says the damn thing is a duck..

12. Niteshooter

Niteshooter Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Agree, that does not sound right at all.

Just backing up a bit, how does the guitar sound? Did the pickups stop working or did they just tell you this. In other words did you notice anything wrong with it before you took it in.

Also something to consider they are likely only going to offer half of what they think they can sell it for used so you would be better off selling on Kijiji or privately. Based on that I suspect used in good shape/working would be in the $250-$300 so knock half off that and that is what they will likely offer.

A pickup swap wouldn't be that difficult as a DIY project if you are good with a soldiering iron. But honestly two dead pups? Seems if they are dead perhaps your switch or 1/4" jack are bad or need a cleaning or adjustment.

Jim Belaye likes this.
  13. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Hmmmm.... I smell scam. Take the control plate off (two outermost screws) and post some close-up photos of the innards. See photo for example. This one wasn't fully wired up at the time of the photo, but you get the idea. Don't pull on any wires that disappear into holes in the body. Take a close-up of any unattached wires.

If there's no output at all, check the connections to the output jack. These are small and prone to breakage.

DSCN3110.JPG

Wiring Diagram:

Tele Template Import2.jpg

14. lilblackduck

lilblackduck Squier-holic

Dec 17, 2011
    Hernando,Ms
    I have a set of p'up's from a Standard if your interested.

15. lilblackduck

lilblackduck Squier-holic

Dec 17, 2011
    Hernando,Ms
    I should ad that I was using a 4 way switch, so the neck cover has been de-soldered and a wire added. If you go with a 4 way you'd be set though.

16. Birddog144

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I doubt he needs new P/Us. I guarantee he needs a new tech though. If it worked when he took it in, and no longer works now, I'd be concerned that they accidentally broke something. If the guitar went out of his sight for any length of time, I'd think they INTENTIONALLY broke something. I'd be filing a small claims suit, contacting the BBB and posting as much bad press as possible about being ripped off by Long and McQuade today. In fact, I'd be outside the store with a big sign (like the street corner sign twirlers have) stating how he had been ripped off.

Luthier-Atlanta likes this.
  17. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    I'm with birddog I don't think your pups are bad, there is something else going on. Tear it open and post some pictures we will figure it out.

18. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Their cable is probably bad,,thats more likely than just about anything else,,,run,, dont walk from cheatum and howe..

19. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    If you are anywhere near me I will look at it for you and not charge a dime.

20. Birddog144

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Ditto here. ;)