Tele Neck vs Strat Neck.. what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Bassman96, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'll just start out by saying I have never held a Tele and have only ever played either basses or Strats (have also tinkered with my Bro's '80 LP) and I read on here everyday people raving about the necks on a Tele....

So whats the deal? How is it different from a Strat? I don't really have a music store nearby for me to just go to and try one out but I am REALLY REALLY curious about this.

Can some of you go into detail as to how it is different and why some of you feel it is superior? I mean not just "it just feel right" I'd like to know some specs or something to wrap my head around..

2. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Jan 15, 2011
    Arkansas
    the only ones i've had my hands on were identical to their strat counterparts

3. macrocket

macrocket Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2011
    Jonesboro, AR
    I always thought they felt like a strat neck too. Then again, I really like a good strat neck.

4. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Shame on you! :(

Stratlover84 likes this.
  5. roscoestring

roscoestring Squier-Nut

Nov 6, 2011
    Dixie, Georgia
    Now this could all be in my head, but to me the tele necks feel fatter (chunkier) than a strat neck. I've never tried to measure to compare the two but I know how it feels in my hands. The thickness from fretboard to skunkstripe is thinner on a strat than on a tele. The width of a strat is greater. I prefer tele necks because I like narrow string spacing. An ideal neck would have narrow nut and thin also. My best necks have been sanded to be thinner.

Does anyone else feel this difference? Tell me I'm not imagineing this.

Stratlover84 likes this.
  6. macrocket

macrocket Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2011
    Jonesboro, AR
    You should really like Yamaha Pacifica and RGX necks. They are similar to a Strat neck but a little thinner and narrower at the nut. No disrespect to Strat, Squier or any hardcore enthusiasts.

7. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Good info. Now I know that I wouldn't care for either of those two. I really don't care for thin or narrow necks, sold my Peavey T-60 for that reason. It was thin! Otherwise a great guitar, and I normally am not picky about neck shapes or sizes, just so they aren't really slim or narrow.

8. stratkat

stratkat Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2011
    CNY
    There's different types of Strat necks and different types of Tele necks.

Some are similar, some are not.

It depends which two you are comparing. :)

drewcp likes this.
  9. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Sorry :eek: *retreats to the corner

Thanks for the info! That is pretty much they type of info I was looking for. I think I'll just order one when I get my tax return and call it an experiment. If I love it good thing if not... plenty of people here who would love to take it off my hands :)

Next question, do the necks on the SX like from rondo compare with a true tele neck? Because $79 sounds alot better than $179..

10. totheMax

totheMax Squier-holic

Jan 30, 2011
    Chesapeake Bay, MD
    B96,

Go to the Warmouth site - they go into detail on the different necks available for both Teles and Strats. Do your research there and order the neck from some place reasonable... ;)

Warmouth Guitar Necks

11. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Squier-holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Upper Midwest USA
    Tele necks feel thicker, but still not Gibson like. Perfect.

12. stratkat

stratkat Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2011
    CNY
    Not trying to be argumentative...:D....but again...wouldn't that depend on which Gibson neck?

We have a Gibson SG Standard that has what I consider a reasonably slim neck. I recently sold a Gibson Melody Maker...the neck on that thing felt like a 2"x4". :D

Point being...it all depends on which Gibson and which Fender.

drewcp likes this.
  13. roscoestring

roscoestring Squier-Nut

Nov 6, 2011
    Dixie, Georgia
    I did not like any of the SX neck that I've had as I recieved them. I always did a little work to them. The feel even wider and thicker to me. Also I dislike the orangy finish that they put on them. They're always sticky. I have however taken the finish off and refinished them and shaved them down a little and made them for likeable. Same with the bass necks.

14. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Dec 23, 2009
    Ark
    If we are speaking Fender standards here I can weigh in. I have one of each. The radius and neck shape is exactly the same on both. I sold a squier standard tele that had the same neck as my squier standard strats as well. I also had a black top tele, again the same shape and thickness as my other fender strats and my fender plain old fashion telecaster.

Comparing multiple Fender strats made from the 90's to the 2000's with multiple tele made from the same years, they all had the same shape, carve and radius. Same for all the squier examples I owned as well. It may be a bit different for special series ones though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  15. mrlinguini

mrlinguini Squier-holic

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego, Ca

Well said...

16. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Nov 30, 2011
    Colorado
    So much depends of the vintage you're talking about. The necks on each have changed over the years. The suggestion to go to the Warmoth site is a good one but you can also learn about the progressions in neck profiles by picking up a book on the history of Fender guitars.

For now suffice to say that the very first Tele's had a very thick, chunky, "U" shaped neck that many players still favor. That profile is unique to a Tele. As the 50's progressed the Tele began to be outfitted with a "V" neck or soft "V" neck profile sometimes called a "boatneck" for it's similarity to the hull of a boat. Many of the earlier Strats shared their own versions of this profile.

In the 60's Fender introduced the "C" shape found on many of the Tele's and Strats sold today as well as on their basses. There are variations on both the "V" and the "C" shapes that may feel different from model to model and also from different vintages. All Fender necks are hand finished so there will be a small variance from one to another although most of the time too little to notice unless you compared them simultaneously. That's why some guitars just feel better to some right off the shelf than others.

To the best of my knowledge that original Tele "U" profile has never been shared with a Strat or any other stock six string Fender ever offered but it was also used on the early PBasses.

17. czook

czook Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2011
    NWMO
    There all lots of shapes and setups, but the tele and the strat are the same shaped necks when comparing apples to apples.

The differene is in the headstock and the shape of the heel. A tele heel is flat and a strat is rounded. A strat and tele neck will fit a tele but a tele neck will not fit a strat without modifying the heel and hoping you came back out with a 25.5 scale length or it will not intonate.

18. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Squier Talker

Aug 22, 2011
    U.S. of A.
    My strat neck was a lot flatter than the neck on my Tele. And, the Tele neck on my guitar is the flatter (9.25" radius) of necks typically on Teles.

Speaking of which, I just, today in fact, bought an All Parts TMNF-FAT neck with a vintage tinted nitrocellulose finish for my humble CV 50s Telecaster (I couldn't take that skinny neck any longer.) The neck cost more than the guitar, but it had to be done.

19. BluzPlyr57

BluzPlyr57 Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Just some quick info on current Squier Strat vs. Tele necks. The differences are between series but not styles. Strats & Teles have the exact same neck dimensions within series:

Affinity - 25.5" scale; C-shaped; 1.6" @ the nut
    Standard - 25.5" scale; C-shaped; 1.65" @ the nut

The standard necks are a bit wider which affects string spacing. Bottom line its all a matter of personal preference. Rosewood or maple fretboards can create a different "feel" also that can influence perception. I always thought my maple tele felt wider than my rosewood strat. But after finding this info out and playing them one right after the other.. the same!

20. Hireasquire

Hireasquire New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Los angels
    i own a squire stratocaster standard.recently I bought a second hand squires telecaster standard and noticed it was more comfortable playing than stratocaster so I started comparing necks.i found the the telecaster neck was wider at the nut about an eighth of an inch.i am now going to buy a wider neck for my stratocaster.the eighth of an inch is noticeable when playing chords.hope this was helpful.