Tele build on the way

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by silverring233, May 4, 2021.

1. silverring233

silverring233 Squier-holic

Feb 2, 2011
    Arkansas
    So. Last night I ordered a tele kit from GFS. after a discount from PayPal, it’s $86 shipped. paulownia body, maple fret board and the usual cheap hardware and electronics. I also am working on a solid walnut strat, but that one will have to wait.

I haven’t worked with paulownia before, so I’m not sure of a good finish for it. Should I stain or paint? Really hoping to stain.

2. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I'd imagine you'll want to see the wood / grain before you can decide on the finish. Keep us informed ... a good build post is always watched with great intent :)

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    it’s lightweight, grain can be kind of streaky - usually solid finish. It tends to be pretty soft too but it makes for a nice light body

4. silverring233

Feb 2, 2011
    Arkansas
    Not sure when the kit will be here, but pics will be plentiful

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I agree, I would definitely wait to see the grain before you decide on the finish. Sounds like a fun project and looking forward to pics in the process.

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

drill any hole a little bit tighter and line each hole with good wood glue - that wood is like compressed powder !

Good Luck ! ! Can't wait to watch the build ! !

silverring233 and MrYeats like this.
  7. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I would reinforce any screw holes with a bit of glue and a toothpick just for insurance when you mount the bridge. Paulownia is very soft. A hard enamel finish will help protect it too.

silverring233 likes this.
  8. silverring233

Feb 2, 2011
    Arkansas
    Kit should be here Monday.

9. silverring233

Feb 2, 2011
    Arkansas
    kit just came in this morning. i'll do some pics and thoughts on it when i get home from work this evening