tele bridge plate

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by gary mitchell, Oct 21, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Which bridge plate do you like and why, myself I prefer a flat plate without the little lip on the side, I guess they put it on there to put the ashtray on. I prefer the flat plate because the way I play. Like when I play rockabilly and get a little wild my pick hits that lip are what ever you call it the sides, sometimes I like playing close to the bridge pickup. Does anyone have this problem. images-7.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

dbrian66 and Angry Possum like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Nope, I don't have that problem. I prefer the vintage 'lip' style Tele bridge, I never hit it, never have hit the volume knob or switch on a Strat either....

3. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

The 3-barrel bridge is called the traditional, or an ashtray bridge. The flat bridge is called the modern bridge. It has the advantage of being more readily intonated with the 6 adjustable saddles. I prefer the modern one too.

dbrian66, Rick-T137 and Angry Possum like this.
  4. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I've used the Wilkinson ashtray style with compensated barrels on 2 Tele builds. I prefer that "Traditional" Tele look. Haven't had any issues. That said, you always need to go with what works for you. Really the only thing that matters.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I prefer the flat plate because the other style looks incomplete and cheap to me.

6. CV50sFan90

CV50sFan90 Squier Talker

Oct 10, 2020
    Minnesota
    I've never had an issue with the "lip" impeding on my playing. I think the only consideration to make is which one you prefer the look of.

7. daizee

daizee Squier Talker

Oct 22, 2020
    New England
    I've only played the lip/ashtray version, and I do like it. Gives me somewhere to put my thumb when I'm plucking at the strings like it's a bass.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Rick-T137

Rick-T137 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2020
    Canada
    I've got a modern bridge plate with a twist - it's for a humbucker. However, I did notice today that I was hitting my bridge pickup (!) while playing - I think I had it elevated too much > so my assumption is I'd have the same problem as you with the vintage bridge - that my pick would be hitting it. It's interesting, because I do have a Wilkinson 1/2 Vintage Tele bridge with brass compensated saddles that I haven't installed on my guitar yet. I think with it being so short, it would stay out of the way - but I don't want to put it on my current Tele... so... I guess I'm gonna have to get ANOTHER Tele so I can use it! :)

Cheers!

Rick

daizee and dbrian66 like this.
  9. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    I like the ashtray style, although I agree they looked stamped and unfinished from an aesthetic standpoint. I like to put my pinky and ring finger on the edge of the lip, and the heel of my palm on the saddles.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I like the more modern look and feel of the flat bridge with 6 separate saddles .

Rick-T137 likes this.