TC "DRIP" Spring Reverb Review

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by SquierTap, Jan 14, 2022.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Okay, so by now MOST of have heard the term "Drip" when talkin about Surf music, or even Rockabilly. It's usually agreed that "Drip" is achieved by combing TWO relatively new technologies at the time; Those fabulous Fender Spring Reverb Units designed to sit on top of your amp, and give you the wet, watery, crash of Surf, and tape echo machines that producers of the era used to produce that classic "slapback" echo that they used on EVERYTHING from vocals (mostly) to guitar, and even in some cases, drums.
    TC is claiming that they've captured the essence of "Drip" in a single effect pedal. Now before we go ANY farther, let me go ahead and say that this pedal is probably NOT gonna be popular with those spring reverb PURISTS out there, lol. In fact, there isn't a real spring in sight. This is a digital pedal that EMULATES the SOUND of spring reverb. So, I highly doubt that folks will be dumping their Fender reverb units in the trash and pickin up one of these, lol. But for the "casual Dripper" such as myself, this pedal MORE than does the trick. And speaking of tricks, supposedly what gives this pedal the Surf vibe, is that it uses a short lil pre-delay, thus mimicking that almost "metallic" sound that you get with real springs. I guess I'll always think of it as "Twerp", lol, but if you know the sound, you'll know exactly why I call it that, lol.
    I played around for a bit with this pedal by replacing by usual Behringer Digital Reverb at the end of my signal with it, and I was pleasantly surprised. I've heard people say that the Drip has a pretty nasty volume drop, but honestly, I barely noticed it. And I checked, lol. If it DOES have a drop, it's not much, and since most people tend to use reverb as an "always on" effect, it's really easy to compensate for by just turnin your amp up half a notch or so. But I didn't have to do that.
    Then, I plugged a pair of my studio headphones into my Champion 40 practice amp so I could REALLY hear what was goin on, and again, I was pleasantly surprised. When I bought this pedal I was EXPECTING a one trick pony, it's a spring reverb sound, but I guess I kinda forgot just HOW versatile a good spring reverb can be. Especially if you've got specific control of it and not just a "Reverb" knob. I got a LOT of milage just out of the "DWELL" and "MIX" knobs. First I dialed in a quick little spring-sounding "Flerb" that ghosted slightly behind my notes that would be GREAT for Rockabilly, when you want to IMPLY spring reverb without washing things out in the surf. Then I started playing with turning the mix knob up and using the reverb as an EFFECT, and with the "DWELL" and "MIX" knobs both turned up, you can actually get in some ambient-like territory. The sound actually hangs around much longer than I thought it would, considering this is supposed to be based on real springs. But I LOVE finding happy little "accidents" when a pedal does somethin great that it either isn't SUPPOSED to do, or isn't DESIGNED to do well, lol.
    So, to wrap it up, I personally think this is an awesome pedal, with a lot of personality. People might buy it for the "gimmick" of "Drip", but they just might find that this pedal is actually a really good reverb in general. No, it probably won't satisfy real spring-heads, but if you're lookin for a cheap way to experience and experiment with the "Drip" sound, I think you'll have a ball with the Drip.
    IMG_20220113_150401981.jpg IMG_20220113_150352842.jpg IMG_20220113_150308473.jpg

2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Sounds pretty killer to me ;)

I digg both verb & delay.

Joyo Space Verb + EHX Memory Toy are how I get there ;).. the Toy has a modulator switch too, helping you get an even fuller sound !

They are both on, along with my Joyo Pocket Metal, which is a dis/fuzz. Running all that with my P90 Pine Tele into my MP15 with some gain is where I find my soaring groove :eek::eek::eek: .. 151 Power chords of metal like Fade to black . Then over to Time and C-numb ;)
    I love deep soaring tones with these pedals. Plus the Toy has slapback/echo and the Verb gets the trail just right when tweaked :eek::eek::eek:

SquierTap likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It;s a pedal that tries to be the 6G15 Reverb unit, which is a killer but costs a lot of money.

tube reverb.jpg

SquierTap likes this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Nicely done review! Thanks for that! :)

Many, used to that single control marked “Reverb” may not understand why the “Drip” has three. -Thus emulating those early, free-standing, real spring jobbies. Along with “Tone” (which colors the output as you’d likely expect) there is “Mix” - how much reverb goes into the, yeah!, mix. And “Dwell” which controls the length of the trail. -The energy that (on real spring-driven units) is sent into the springs, energizing them; making them do their ‘things.’

Now how fully the Drip does emulate those ‘things’ - pleural - both the trail and that metallic ringing you playfully describe as “twerp” - I cannot say. But if it does so well then this is a true digital recreation of a classic freestanding boxes. As was the Boss FRV-1 that I favor, and others either love or hate.

The reason for that hate is that classic spring reverbs lack sonic purity. They sound like what they in fact are. ‘Boing’ boxes. Vibrating springs. And that sound, love it or hate it, is the sound of a classic spring reverb.

I am surprised that there is no separate controls for the echo effect. But the makers likely knew what they wanted and added knobs could have lent the ‘unlearned’ to ruin it. :)

Again, nice job!

-don

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 7.12.47 AM.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    fattboyzz, Caddy and SquierTap like this.
  5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hmmm... Yeah, that'd probably be right on the money... But the way that I describe the TC Drip is that is DOESN'T nail the drip SOUND, but it DOES nail the drip VIBE... For pretty dang cheap... Casual drippers will dig it, spring purists will dog it, lol...

6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    As usual, Brother Don, I think you're right on the money... You're the drip authority around here... And yeah, I think they didn't add controls for that pre-delay because that has the potential to ruin the "trick" here... I think the vibe of the pedal depends on keepin that particular curtain closed, lol... Like I said it's a cool Lil trick, but really, that's ALL it is, smoke and mirrors... But for not havin a real spring anywhere in sight, it is a good trick, lol... Those Boss '63 Fender Reverb pedals are legendary... I wanted to try them when they came out, but the $100 they cost back then might as well been a million to me as a broke teen... And don't know if you know it or not, but they're regularly goin for $250 on Reverb... Or so I hear...

7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I think you're right.

I use a separate pedal to get that effect. And although I think I understand it, and though I had plenty of experience with those old tape echos in the `60s (They're a total PITA, BTW!), still, if I've fiddled with my pedal emulator's controls, I struggle to get it back to perfection. So if you're right, well then so is TC Electronics with their choice of no controls for that function.

Some will no doubt poo poo this pedal just as some poo-pood the Boss model. That because it digitally emulates the originally analog effects.

I don't. These days digital modeling has become a true art. And its second component -- along with the brain power needed to design such -- is the computer brain power to pull it off.

Today that power costs just dimes.

Modeling, for all my/our love of classic designs and old, glowing, tubes, is in truth, where it's at.

-don

SquierTap likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I think that's indisputable. I have a tube reverb VST plugin that isn't in the least under worked... :)

duceditor likes this.
  9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I happen to agree with ya, Don, but I guess that's not necessarily surprising, lol... I was born in '81, so I'm kinda acclimated to new technology coming along that does either the same job as the older tech, or actually does it better... When I was a kid there were vinyl records and 8 track tapes that were replaced with cassette tapes, then THEY were replaced by CDs and then CDs were replaced by MP3s... And the ENTIRE time there have been people who refuse to use the new technology, and it's usually because it's different... And it's obvious, just look at the recent vinyl revival full of enthusiasts who say that other forms of music don't retain the "warm" quality of vinyl, and that MAY be a part of it, but I think it's mostly that it doesn't replace their "warm and fuzzy" MEMORIES of vinyl, lol... Better tech is better tech, whether you're willing to admit it or not, lol...
    Honestly, it's a bit of a pleasant surprise to see someone such as yourself who was ACTUALLY there in the golden days of tube amps, turn around and embrace the new fangled technology... It's a breath of fresh air, frankly... But I think the main difference in you and all the tube-sniffers out there, is that you'll actually ADMIT that the new tech does sound good, lol!
    Look at those new Fender Tone Master amps... They're quickly bein embraced by the even the Corksniffer/TubeSniffer crowd, even Rhett Schull who normally ONLY likes real tube amps got on board with 'em... But I don't think that the problem with this new tech necessarily lies with that technology bein as good or better than previous incarnations, I think a LOT of the problem can be layed squarely on the people that REFUSE to admit that it's good, lol...

Yet another reason that I like you, Don... You're honest... You call 'em like ya see 'em... AND you have the benefit of experience... A LOT of guys listen to you, and look to guys like you for your opinion... And I think you have a certain "responsibility" to be honest... With great power, lol...

fattboyzz likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Kind words, @SquierTap . I was, as are so many people, somewhat, if not dead set against the new technologies, at least for a time indifferent to them. My son saw that as a dead end in the road ahead of me and with great wisdom found a way to help me get passed it. In so doing he saved my career, and thus my (and his mom’s) future and dreams.

I am still “indifferent” to a lot of it. But that is because so much tailored for people with a different mode of thinking and living. I thus see it — all the life involved ‘apps’ and so forth — as being great for them, but unneeded by me.

Tone, though, is tone. Be it “hi-fi” gear or recording systems or guitar amps. I can be reasonably objective there. My view of self-worth is not attached to such. And I am not a tone chaser. I know what works for me.

100 mph is the same speed in a Ford as in a Chevy. One may appeal more than another, but that doesn’t mean the speedo is lying. ;). And the same with ‘real” spring reverb and a digital circuit that does the same thing to the signal.

Like what you like. Me? I like life! The power to create. To do. To go where I, at least, have not gone before.

Tech or no tech.

:)

-don

fattboyzz likes this.
  11. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Thought it was funny you mentioned a Beringer reverb pedal, I'm pretty sure TC electronics is owned by Behringer.