Talk me out of or talk me into buying a Firefly Thinline with P90s

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mitch_cumsteen, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I think I'm interested in that Iyv Mustang clone, but it's sold out on Amazon. I don't see that model at all on the main Iyv web site where there are nearly three pages of guitars (including a thinline Jazzmaster clone) ... so I'm wondering if it has gone out of production.

mb doug likes this.
  2. Korean89

Korean89 Squier Talker

Oct 23, 2018
    Texas
    I saw the Mustand clone (white) in stock a couple of weeks ago. I've read good things about that model, hopefully they'll make another batch and you can snag one.

I've noticed that the IYV website doesn't accurately represent what you find for sale in the states.

mb doug likes this.
  3. bloozstar

bloozstar Squier Talker

Jul 24, 2020
    Tarrant, Al
    You should absolutely buy it. Or not. Nevermind . . .

mb doug likes this.
  4. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Get an Epiphone Semi Hollow Body, you'll thank me, and may even buy me a nice xmas present. :D:D:D:p:p:p

Viking, mitch_cumsteen and mb doug like this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    One thing is that if you get one with some fairly minor problem you may be able to call/chat with Firefly for some credit adjustment. I got $20 credit for a cosmetic problem on my 338. A guy on another guitar forum said he complained about the noisy bridge on his 338 and got $25 credit. You may get nothing but a "we're sorry" but you may get enough money to make the adjustment or repair you need.

mb doug likes this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    If it were me I would buy the guitar @Ken Rose is selling.

Wizzer, drewcp, Viking and 2 others like this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    2 b sure

mb doug likes this.
  8. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    My one experience with Firefly was not good. I bought a 338 that happened to be one of the run that had reversed spacing of the 12th and 13th frets ( or whichever ones it was) . I didn't care for the pickups and didn't feel that the overall quality was worth any upgrades.

I'm done with taking chances on cheap guitars. At least with a Squier or Epi you know what you're getting and they're both worth upgrading.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  9. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    My point exactly.

10. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    20201023_123116.jpg I purchased an Epiphone DOT that annihilates a Fire-Dud. The Epiphone brand has way better quality supervision in my experiences with them. Look for a Korean DOT. You'll be quite satisfied.
    I just recently added the Pickguard and the Epiphone Decal. This is without a doubt, a real Killer guitar. Plays like butter on a hot summers day. Only $300 used w a case. Say goodbye to Fireduds, they are garbage.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I’ve had a couple DOT’s, but didn’t bond with them like I have this DOT studio. It was a measly $125 (w/HSC), at a Pawn. It was a steal, and for me, miles better than a FF338 (which I’ve also had).
    Wonderful chunky neck, and once I put Blacktop Filtertrons in it, and a string saver bridge... it became a Gretsch killer.

My only gripe? It’s soooo heavy, I put a strap peg on the upper horn, and now it balances/plays perfect.
    F18BF17F-CCEA-44FB-A923-7D47DE206FE5.jpeg 394664F5-6820-45E4-A159-4F58BA56FFB7.jpeg 2467DA8F-A503-4546-9AC7-5CA747AB9616.jpeg

12. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    No negative discussions

mb doug, radiotech and Ralph124C41 like this.
  13. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    But that wouldn't help the OP make an informed decision. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  14. Number 6

Number 6 Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2020
    Great White North
    And here I was asking about Thinline Teles & P90s (or a related question any way) and somebody suggested Firefly -which I hadn't heard of--but look at my avatar--I can read the word "Firefly" in it--and there's a different reason for that--but still kind of cool.

mb doug and Angry Possum like this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    mb doug likes this.
  16. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    mb doug likes this.
  17. ActivePassive

ActivePassive Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2019
    California
    I bought one of these when they went up on Monday morning with the wrong price. Figured I would take a chance since it was under $150 shipped. I figure that if it sucks, I'll just use it to practice my maintenance skills on it.

I have a Firefly 338 that is actually a really nice guitar. All of the stuff you would expect on a sub-$200 guitar is there...crap pickups and tuners, but it plays well and is perfect for letting out my inner Jesus and Mary Chain.

mb doug likes this.
  18. phaedrus

phaedrus Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2018
    Austin
    So I ordered one of these late Christmas Eve when they went on sale for $128; the P90 Thinline model.

Overall it's a very nice guitar. The build quality far exceeds the price. As many have noted it is excessively light. To the point that playing it standing up with a strap is annoying after more than five minutes. Playing sitting down, curled up on the couch or in front of the computer for youtube lessons it works well.

Unfortunately mine came with one of the fret wires gound down where the treble side resembles a boat ramp. Kinda makes the neck no good as you can't sand less. There was also quite a bit of random scratches and gouges on the fretboard. I could live with that but the fret thing is a deal breaker for me.

I'm currently locked in a battle of willpower with customer service to get an exchange or a return. They don't seem to understand the concept. At a certain point I may just dispute with my credit card company and let that play it's course.

I think it is a very cool design and could be fun for swapping pickups etc. But I guess a bit of luck of the draw when it comes to quality.

20201231_192735.jpg

mb doug likes this.
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Did you buy that from Guitarsgarden.com? I know Amazon would help you out very easily but I've never dealt with GG customer service but I've heard (read) they are accommodating.

I know this is a bother but you may want to ask some local guitar tech to help you out. Maybe write a letter or email or at least be open to a phone call. I think it has to do both with maybe a translation probably plus trying to explain your problem to somebody who doesn't know the ins and outs of guitar repair.

Or you can go to the FB page and send a messenger post to the rep there. It's Firebird Music Inc. I did that once and got a $20 credit but I had to send the rep some photos of the problem as it really was a cosmetic issue so that couldn't be explained that easily. But as you said that neck is a deal breaker so you would need either a full credit or a replacement ... and I imagine you may have to wait a long time for a replacement.

Good luck. And please tell us what happens.

mb doug likes this.