Supro Guitars -- No More?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Nov 26, 2020.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    A few months back it was announced that Supro had been bought by D'Angelica. That, it seemed clear to many of us, was because the Big D wanted to expand into the amp field -- and Supro would be the perfect mix of classic name and design and modern medium high-end acceptance.

I myself hoped it would also mean a continuance of their guitars -- perhaps an expansion of, if not their 'line' than at least their distribution and availability.

It seems not.

None of Supro's modern guitars seem to have found a niche in the marketplace. Fewer and fewer of them were to be seen - and this even my name dealers that carried and sometimes even featured their amplifiers.

This morning I went to Supro's own website and their entire guitar section is gone.

So that's it, I think, for the Supro guitar resurrection project.

I wish I'd gotten one of their gold foil PUP models such as a Silverwood, but no. I missed the closeouts on those on their prices on Reverb are climbing skyward.

SO THANKFUL I go a couple of Americanas. Indeed these days my Black Holiday in my #1 instrument.

So... bye, bye Supro guitars. Long may you twang!

-don

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Treynor, fluffy391, Taurus and 4 others like this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I saw a uptick in Supro’s recently in some small shops web sites I used to visit regularly pre-pandemic. I thought something was up.

duceditor likes this.
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Although I can't say that I completely bonded this this Supro Ozark reissue, I have to say it's a top quality Indo build. On the Supro goldfoils, I was able to purchase a Supro Vista-tone goldfoil pickup from GC about a year ago. DSCN4418.JPG

ScoobySnacker, Taurus and duceditor like this.
  4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    wonkenstein, Treynor, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  5. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thank you for that! I saw that page and didn't notice that small blurb.

Be interesting to see the its and whats of it.

-don

ScoobySnacker and Taurus like this.
  6. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I can't say I could link Supro guitars to a specific sound or tone. What's their strong suit ?

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  7. ragamuffin

ragamuffin Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    I think part of (modern)Supro's trouble is that (old)Supro guitars weren't used on a lot of famous recordings and honestly weren't the highest quality instruments compared to Gibson/Fender/etc. To me their strong suit is the pickups not falling into the typical "this is a humbucker" or "this is a single coil" sound.

The Vistatone pickups (the ones that look like humbuckers) are actually a single coil that's somewhat similar to a p90 but with more single coil brightness and bite. They retain clarity really well with fuzz pedals.

The goldfoils (which are the old Supro Cleartone design, which weren't originally "gold foils") sound more like a strat or tele, but fatter than any strat or tele can be while still being clear and articulate.

8. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Perfectly stated.

I wish I had experience with more of the Supro models.

Both of mine are from the single, and relatively short lived (both then and now), "Americana" series that emulated, and in fact significantly improved upon, the early 1960s 'acousta-glas' models. One of them has two of the Vistatone PUPs Ragamuffin mentioned. The other has one such and also an under-the-bridge piezo PUP.

The quality of both of these guitars is very high. -Far higher, I understand, than those they were modeled upon.

The biggest difference is that the "glass" -- actually I think a polycarbonate similar to that used in motorcycle helmets -- is only the face of the guitar. The back on the newer ones is carved out mahogany. And this, along with a (maple?) center block makes for a very strong instrument that holds its tuning well; far better than the earlier ones.

They have nice neck - something especially so in the case of my Black Holiday because its neck was replaced with one of the original prototype ones which was, I was told, basically hand built. It is GORGEOUS.

I've never played on of the gold foil models -- bit reviews speak very highly of those.

If I had the skills some of you do here on the forum I'd build a gold foil into the blank neck position of my White Holiday. That guitar would then I expect be a total wowza!

-don

The Supro Sisters.jpg

9. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

I have a Surpo Conquiestdor in Emerald Green. I love this guitar. It plays great and have a great gold foil in the neck and a Surpo PAC in the saddle. Here is the prototye of this model. I was lucky enough to have one of these given to me by the guy who designed it, Ford Thurston. I was shocked when he offered.

British Racing Green.jpg

10. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

Supro will continue as Supro, it is a well-recognized brand. Ownership has changed, but the name is one of the best names in the business. They may cut down the line and cut the guitars that are not selling but they will continue, though the Prototype Surpo is on youtube, but it was never released. Another reason I like the guitar a lot. It is one of the only ones and the quality is staggering.

ScoobySnacker and duceditor like this.
  11. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

That guitar was for me drool city from the first time I saw it on a company video.

I can imagine the quality, it being a prototype.

My Black Holiday has a prototype neck (put on it by the project director and set up by him to my requested preferences). To say that it, although the differences (apart from the differently placed Supro logo) are hard to see, the feel of it is that of perfection.

To see and feel that same level of perfection on the entire guitar must be just thrilling! :)

-don

12. terraplanetommy

terraplanetommy Squier Talker

Mar 27, 2011
    Australia
    They're wonderful looking instruments