Sunn Mustang and Fenix Strat

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Steelcityowl, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Just scored these two on a local selling site.

What do you know guys?

I know more about the Sunn...I've had one before. I'm thinking this is early 90s made in India.

The Fenix is new to me. Young Chang....so it's a late 80s squier re-badged essentially?

It has an E10 serial number like my 87 E10 Squier strat. So have I basically got another E10 on my hands? (Same string trees and a big block)

Attached Files:

Kickstand and OldGuitarPlayer like this.
  2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Pretty much... A few differences like the headstock shape, which they went thru quite the few rather quickly on the Fenix branded models. I do belive the tuners are real gotohs on Fenix models as well just without any actual branding whatsoever. So no "fender" stamp or Gotoh stamp or "made in japan" like ya see on most Gotoh tuners from that era on Squiers/Fenders... Some of the Fenix strats also came with the lace style pickup covers like yours but a lot came with normal style covers as well... In the end tho its pretty much a Squier E7/E10 model... Same alder with maple top/back contruction and on and on and on...

Zzzzzz... Arctic white Fenix E10 Tele... Arctic white Squier E10 57' strat... Not mine...

SquierFenixE10.jpg

3. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    Very cool. I have never seen a guitar made by Sunn before. I don't think they were sold over here. If they were I never noticed. I have seen maybe two Fenix guitars over the years around here.

4. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
  5. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

They're not massively common, but second hand Sunns do crop up here and there in the U.K. As mentioned, they're Indian made, owned by Fender. It's confusing that a Fender owned company making a Fender guitar would badge it under the name of an entirely different Fender guitar. I've never understood that about the Sunn Mustang.

6. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Maybe they were supposed to do a Mustang copy but got sent a picture of a Strat. ;)

squierTony likes this.
  7. Brettdvd

Brettdvd Squier-Nut

Sep 24, 2015
    Mississippi
    Great pickups! Certainly diggin the covered pickup look on that Fenix!

8. Steelcityowl

Steelcityowl Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    The Fenix is getting flipped. I prefer my E10 Squier strat.

I'm keeping the Mustang. Great neck and I'm a humbucker man.

However I always change trap tuners but I feel it would be a shame to drill this headstock. I know it's not a vintage guitar but it's more unusual and unique than the bullets and affinitys that I'd happily drill into.

What do you guys think?