Stripped Threads On Pickups

Falstaff

Squier-Meister
Oct 15, 2020
Arizona
Anyone have a fix for stripped holes on pickups? These are the holes in the pickup used to mount them pickguard. I have a nice set of TexMex alnico strat pickups I am trying to install in a Squier strat but the mounting holes on the actual pickups themselves appear to be stripped...or I need bigger diameter mounting screws.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Here's the trick ... you can use the old screws. Cut a piece of credit card and use a heated (red hot) clothes pin, and melt a hole through the plastic credit card piece.

Use this piece on the end of the screw after you've fastened it to the stripped pickup. The credit card piece will act as the anchor. It's not perfect, but it works. :)

Our pal @Guitarmageddon taught us that trick many years ago. It's come in handy numerous times.

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Here's the trick ... you can use the old screws. Cut a piece of credit card and use a heated (red hot) clothes pin, and melt a hole through the plastic credit card piece.

Use this piece on the end of the screw after you've fastened it to the stripped pickup. The credit card piece will act as the anchor. It's not perfect, but it works. :)

I wonder where you learned that trick? :) I forgot about that, that was like 4-5 years ago when I was being MacGuyver lol

I used that trick when I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II used, and the bridge pickup had no screws, went to a music shop and got screws but they were USA thread not import.....

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I wonder where you learned that trick? :) I forgot about that, that was like 4-5 years ago when I was being MacGuyver lol

I used that trick when I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II used, and the bridge pickup had no screws, went to a music shop and got screws but they were USA thread not import.....

I think you're right. 4-5 years ago. Time flies quickly.

The trick works nicely. I still have old cut up credit cards laying around just in case I need to use it again. :)

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
That sounds like a good remedy Eddie.

I had the same situation and found slightly larger diameter screws at ACE Hardware.

I have a bunch of different diameter screws just in case. But sometimes nothing fits. Or it fits, but not tight enough. I wish the music industry would go with a single standard screw size for height screws. This is like looking for the charger to my laptop, cell phone, iPad, Chromebook, iPhone, etc, etc.

Hoss

Squier-holic
Dec 20, 2009
Nevada
I've used super glue on the fiber bobbin holes in the pickups. Just a small drop in each hole and let dry for an hour. That fills up the threads so you start anew. It worked for me. I think tite bond wood glue would probably work too but I've never tried it. More drying time with a wood glue.

Hoss

Squier-holic
Dec 20, 2009
Nevada
You don't glue the screws in the holes as the glue is allowed to dry before the screws are inserted, if I understand @Hoss correctly.
No. The screws are out of the equation until the glue dries. All you're doing is filling the stripped threads so the screws will have something to grab on to when it's dry. In fact, it would behoove you leave a small hole with a needle or something after gluing. You don't want to completely fill the hole...just the threads. You want to see through the holes even after gluing.

eidling

Squier-Meister
Jul 6, 2017
USA
You don't glue the screws in the holes as the glue is allowed to dry before the screws are inserted, if I understand @Hoss correctly.
Yes. I understand. The technique I described molds the screws threads in the hole very accurately, but using super glue to make the hole smaller with something that dries hard for the screw to go into is fine too. It's all good!

Falstaff

Squier-Meister
Oct 15, 2020
Arizona
I eended up doing the super glue method as I didnt have an old credit card lying around. I have a headstock overlay but didn't feel like cutting that for this purpose. Long story short the super glue trick worked well for me and I was able to mount the pickups on the pickguard. Thank to all for your suggestions.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I eended up doing the super glue method as I didnt have an old credit card lying around. I have a headstock overlay but didn't feel like cutting that for this purpose. Long story short the super glue trick worked well for me and I was able to mount the pickups on the pickguard. Thank to all for your suggestions.

I'll keep this method in mind for future screwing issues. :)

I'm always learning something new. That's why I love this place. :)

Hoss

Squier-holic
Dec 20, 2009
Nevada
This also works for ANY stripped screw on the body or neck but using elmer's or tite bond wood glue instead of super glue. Pick guard screws, strap button screws, tuner screws, the big neck mounting screws, control cavity screws and so on. I put a drop of wood glue into the stripped hole and work it into the threads with a toothpick making sure to leave a hole. I don't completely fill the hole so the screw has a path. Depending on the hole size it might require another drop or two of glue. Have a damp cloth handy to wipe the excess away while it's still wet. I let it dry overnight and reinstall the screw. It's never failed me.

radiotech

Squier-Axpert
Apr 23, 2014
Freedonia

Our pal @Guitarmageddon taught us that trick many years ago. It's come in handy numerous times.
I’ve done that using picks I have but don’t like/use (Fender tortoise are perfect).

Latest posts