Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 13s I have bigfoot hands

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StormCaster

Squier-Meister
Sep 13, 2020
Wisconsin
I recently played a strat with 9 gauge strings and really liked how easy it was to play. I couldn't believe how much more slinky and spongey they felt. So I recently ordered 12 sets when they were on sale. I just strung a set on my budget build squier affinity and now I seem to have a problem with the wound e and a strings sounding kind of flat or very lacking in bass. Did any of you have this issue ? I tried adjusting pickup height but it still seems like I have lost way to much bass. What strings do you guys use ? I will make a poll for fun. 🙂

Loin Lover

Dr. Squier
Jul 26, 2018
Backwoods, USA
I am always amazed how many folks say they use 10s on their Strats. Both Squier and Fender send 'em out with 9s.

I play 9s on 25.5" instruments, 10s on 24.75". However, I recently bought some Super Slinky 8s for the heck of it. I think I feel a bender coming on. ;-)

Billy Gibbons plays 7s, scoffing those bending heavier strings.

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2018
North Carolina
That sounds odd. I've never noticed any major difference when making a change that small. You sure you didn't bump your amp's bass knob? :)

Maybe you're still attacking the strings like they're 10s, and you're getting a lot of buzzing on the E and A.

StormCaster

Squier-Meister
Sep 13, 2020
Wisconsin
That sounds odd. I've never noticed any major difference when making a change that small. You sure you didn't bump your amp's bass knob? :)

Maybe you're still attacking the strings like they're 10s, and you're getting a lot of buzzing on the E and A.
Thanks for the reply. I have lightened my attack alot. It's not buzzing it's more seems like the string just is not producing any good sound. Almost like if you ever hit a dead key on a piano. It's weird I think maybe I will string another set of 9s on a different guitar and see how it sounds ? 🤔🙂

Blues256

Squier-Nut
Apr 3, 2020
Poland
I recently played a strat with 9 gauge strings and really liked how easy it was to play. I couldn't believe how much more slinky and spongey they felt. So I recently ordered 12 sets when they were on sale. I just strung a set on my budget build squier affinity and now I seem to have a problem with the wound e and a strings sounding kind of flat or very lacking in bass. Did any of you have this issue ? I tried adjusting pickup height but it still seems like I have lost way to much bass. What strings do you guys use ? I will make a poll for fun. 🙂
1662846227819.png

Dinomikesr

Squier-Nut
Nov 25, 2019
South-East
It’s not any huge difference between 9 and 10 gauge strings. I have Strats with sets of each and I just can’t tell that much difference in playing them. I’ve switched one to the other and checked the intonation and did not have to adjust it. Did it to another strat and had to adjust it.

I put a ste of 8’s on a StageMaster and did not like them. I recorded some stuff and off they came and I went up to 10’a on that guitar as well.

For your bass issue, I have put strings on a guitar, same brand and gauge and for whatever reason lost some thickness in the sound. I’ve also lost it without changing strings and found that cleaning the connectors on my pedal patch cable helped. You may want to look into that.

StormCaster

Squier-Meister
Sep 13, 2020
Wisconsin
It’s not any huge difference between 9 and 10 gauge strings. I have Strats with sets of each and I just can’t tell that much difference in playing them. I’ve switched one to the other and checked the intonation and did not have to adjust it. Did it to another strat and had to adjust it.

I put a ste of 8’s on a StageMaster and did not like them. I recorded some stuff and off they came and I went up to 10’a on that guitar as well.

For your bass issue, I have put strings on a guitar, same brand and gauge and for whatever reason lost some thickness in the sound. I’ve also lost it without changing strings and found that cleaning the connectors on my pedal patch cable helped. You may want to look into that.
Thanks for the idea i will check my cables and clean them

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2018
North Carolina
Well I have solved some of it I lowered my pickups and bought the saddle's on the e and a strings up just a tiny bit and it has made the 9s now much closer in sound to my other strat. Thanks for the help guys! 🙂🙏
It's possible that the neck's relief was on the low side (neck nearly straight), and with the lighter strings the neck got even straighter. It's probably worth a quick relief check.

5ofeight

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2016
Glasgow
Sthings like many other things are personal preference when it comes to guitar and playing, the great BB King used 8's, Billy Gibbons as pointed out above used 7's.
Personally I don't think there is any difference any of the string guages produce tbh, or maybe my ear is not as tuned in as it could be.
I honestly think the issue comes from the string pressures we expect to have to put on a fret to produce a note or set of notes, in my mind that stems from our learning days, poorly set up 1st guitars which if we are being honest would have given superman sore fingers.
Anyway, what should be of more concern to us guitar players is that a guitar no matter which price bracket it falls under should be set up to its lightest touch playing ability, imho that's more important than string gauge....

Latest posts