Strat Bullet owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nyoungfan, May 6, 2017.

1. nyoungfan

nyoungfan Squier Talker

May 6, 2017
    Midwest
    Hi everyone.

I've owned a Squier Bullet Strat for about 30 years now. I'm mostly an acoustic player, but I've really liked the Bullet for when I play electric, which I haven't done in years. It's the only electric I've owned, and I don't know much about guitars. I'm more of a songwriter who plays guitar than a guitarist, but I do play a lot of lead. Not a performer. Looking to get back into playing more electric.

Looks like a great site here.

surfrodguitar, so1om, theflow and 5 others like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to Squier-Talk. Lots of Bullet fans here. Don't be afraid to show photos.

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Welcome to S T ! We are a visual group just as interested in your acoustics as your vintage bullet !
    Please post some pictures !

theflow and nyoungfan like this.
  4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Hello and Welcome!

5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Welcome to this great forum. It is like family here.

I am much like you in that I consider myself a songwriter first, guitar player second.

I began playing in 1957, playing mostly acoustic and for about 25-30 years in the middle of that I didn't even own an electric. Have a bunch now since I retired 10 years ago.

6. OzinKY

OzinKY Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Howdy, welcome, and salivations. I mean that other big word. Oz

7. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Hello New young fan,, I guess old fan was taken.. it doesnt surprise me.. this should be called Senior Talk instead of Squier Talk,, Ha!.. 0ld Fan take a look at my life,, I'm a lot like you were,, Two guitars and wanting more,, Now I got over twenty four... making room for just one more.. coming home with me... :D. Welcome To Squier Talk! Pics?..

8. nyoungfan

nyoungfan Squier Talker

May 6, 2017
    Midwest
    Thanks everyone. Yes, my name stands for Neil Young Fan. I'm a huge fan. Whatever one wants to say about his technical ability, he's been influential on many players for both his acoustic and electric styles; can't say that of too many guitarists. My playing for both was inspired first by him. I attached some photos of my Bullet, in addition to my avatar photo of it, and of my acoustic. A Gibson Songwriter Deluxe. I love it. 20170506_195027e2.jpg 20170506_195152e2.jpg 20170506_195343e2.jpg

9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Nut

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Sweet. I've never seen that kind of Bullet before.

Welcome.

10. nyoungfan

nyoungfan Squier Talker

May 6, 2017
    Midwest
    I bought it used with the amp and original plastic case it came with--still have both of those. When I've taken it in for repairs, different people have said, "You got one of the good ones." The serial is E+6 digits, E6-----. From what I've been able to find out, I think it was made in Japan in 1986. It has a 4-bolt attachment in back. I'd like to know more about its specs because I'm in the market for another electric guitar--keeping the Bullet, but it needs a repair due to short in the guitar input jack. I want a guitar with a thin neck and feel because I have very small hands. I think that's why I've liked this Bullet so much.

theflow, Rollmeaway and Eddie like this.
  11. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    Welcome to the forum @nyoungfan !

I'm a big fan of Neil as well - both as a songwriter AND a guitar player. My favorite is the "Rust Never Sleeps" era Crazy Horse stuff. :cool:

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    bullet strat w/ tele neck - cool!!

13. Las Palmas Norte

Las Palmas Norte Squier-Meister

Very cool brother ... very nice all around on those guitars.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Squireitup, theflow and nyoungfan like this.
  14. nyoungfan

nyoungfan Squier Talker

May 6, 2017
    Midwest
    It's an oddball. It says Made in Korea on the back of the headstock, but what I've read about the serial E6----- is that means made in Japan. From the Fender Squier specs manual I found earlier tonight--thanks to a link on this site, it seems to indicate that a Bullet with a strat body and a tele neck, E6 series, is MIJ. I'm not sure why people at guitar shops have said it's one of the good ones--that includes one very high-end store.

Since I'm looking for a new, better guitar, I'm wondering what makes my Bullet so good for me feel-wise. It's 21 frets, 25.5 neck length. From the Fender Squier specs manual, my apparent model has a radius of 7.25, but I don't know if that's true for my Bullet.

15. Kickstand

Kickstand Squier-Nut

Dec 23, 2015
    El Mirage Arizona
    Can you post a couple of close up photos of the headstock and the "made in Korea"?

16. Josh owen

Josh owen Squier Talker

Feb 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    The tele headstock and maple board usually leans towards early to mid 80s MIJ Bullet. Around 86-87, Bullets were being made in Korea. All Korea Bullets I have seen have strat headstock and rosewood board. Either way, the early Bullet 1 are very respected. Nice guitar.

theflow, nyoungfan and Kickstand like this.
  17. Josh owen

Josh owen Squier Talker

Feb 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    BTW, the first Bullets, MIJ 83-84 (SQ serial) had serial on neck plate. Not sure when they began on headstock. E serials were being used on MIJ but they were also used on early MIK so alot of confusion on this era Bullet.

18. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    E+6 were made in both Japan and Korea. The MIJs were 1984-87 and the MIKs were 1987-1992. For the MIKs, the first number after E indicates the year (7 for 1987, 8 for '88, etc.)

I'm looking through Squier Electrics by Tony Bacon and I can't pin down your model. It seems to be a Bullet S-3T (3 Single coil pickups with Tremolo). The book has gaps, but an S-3T with a Tele headstock should be MIJ, while the version with a Strat headstock should be MIK. Maybe you have a "transition state" guitar from when the manufacturing contract switched.

The MIJ of that period were built by Fuji Gen Gakki and are known for their quality. Fuji Gen has made guitars for Fender, Gretsch, and Gibson (Epiphone).

EDIT: Josh posted while I was leafing through the book, I could have shortened to "what he said."

19. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Thats a japanese heel adjust,, all the koreans adjust above the nut...

theflow, nyoungfan and Kickstand like this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Hi and welcome.