Stop Paying High Prices For Used Guitars

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by LAPlayer, Aug 12, 2020.

1. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I stopped in a Sam Ash store yesterday to check out their used guitars, they didn't have a lot, and no great deals. I asked them about it and they said they had more than 50 guitars in the back in "quarantine" and will bring out 10 at a time to sell.
    I think they are doing this to run up prices. But hey if you have a lot of guitars, now may be a good time to sell.
    This is happening with everything, not just guitars. Food, school supplies, clothing, every thing has gone up.
    I believe this is just the beginning of what is to come and it ain't pretty.

2. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Disclaimer: Please do not throw sharp objects. I am hiding behind the drummer.

I totally agree paying 80+% of new prices for used gear* is nonsensical. I also agree those who overpay are probably not the bargain seekers here at ST. A member posted a sweet burst SE package in the DC area for $65 this morning!

Perspectives. Many folks buy-to-flip. In those cases both ends of the free enterprise system is involved: Try to buy low to profit. Lord knows I do it daily, not just with instruments (remember the valuable copper pot I found? Wow!). I enjoy the hunt, the cleaning / set up / necessary repairs if I am in flip mode. It is a totally different mindset when shopping/purchasing to keep. I am still in a pseudo search for an Epi Les Paul Florentine. They do not appear to be getting less valuable. Sigh,

Last year I began a sizable downsizing effort. It was difficult narrowing down how many and which to keep. I was not in a desperate hurry to sell any yet sold over a dozen guits and a couple amps within a couple months. I certainly did not pay the mortgage with any individual sale, yet was firm & fair in my pricing. Patient too. $450 -- $30 gear. Nothing bank breaking.

Here is what I discovered:
    Experienced players recognized the fair prices. When a telephonic negotiation began I would say "Come here, plug in, feel and hear. Bring your favorite amp or use one of mine." When that happened I was 100% on my asking price. (The exception was the blues magician who attempted to rip me off. No sale.) The players loved the necks and frets. :) Thank you very much ST! Some told me they needed a "backup" only to have that SE become their primary player.
    Novice buyers appreciated my candor. I would help in any way I could with there decision. Making $20 due to overpricing is not going to change my life. They often would know what a, for example, an Affinity Strat cost new as a comparison to my advertised price. I would plug & play to show everything worked as it should. I have given more than one class on the Strat 5 way switch. :)

*There are always exceptions. We all realize different instruments depreciate, or appreciate, differently.
    Let's look at the Squier Affinity Strat I bought new in 2010 or 2011 from MF. If memory serves me correctly it was $99+ tax, regular price. I was ready to start playing again, didn't shop around much or wait for a sale. Click, bought. Didn't break my budget. That (virtually) same guitar now is over 100% higher at regular price.
    Apparently $150 or so used is considered fair now-a-days. We Squier Talkers probably would not, unless it was that exact model/color/whatever they used to have and wish they had never sold it. Then they open their wallet. I've seen it. I will do the same with one I let get away.

It is no surprise to me pre-owned prices continue to rise, especially with production of many consumer products being reduced in recent months. In the meantime, has anyone seen that $200 Florentine in Iced Tea?

radiotech and Dinomikesr like this.
  3. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    This is a $150 guitar from Guitar Fetish with a blem on the knob plate with double coupons. XV 840 Pro. It's made from traditional guitar wood. Basic known and test types of guitar parts known to sound good when assembled together. It's like Guitar buying 101 and what you look for when bargain hunting.

Alder string through body, brass saddles, incredible fit and finish. The only blem is on the chrome control plate. Not one single mark anywhere else on the body.
    [​IMG]
    22 Fret rosewood fingerboard
    [​IMG]
    Nu-Bone Graphite nut
    [​IMG]
    Standard 14:1 tuners
    [​IMG]
    Bound body
    [​IMG]
    Blem shown to the right of the top mounting screw for the control plate. Comes with GFS stamped pickups. Great quality and sounding pickups I've used in other guitars for 15 years.
    [​IMG]
    High quality finish details all over.
    [​IMG]

4. Dinomikesr

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    You're memory is a little off. Affinity Strats were priced at $149 at MF going back to 2002. I have the receipt. $150 used is way over priced for a used bottom end guitar. As for prices rising in the market? The market around the world is taking dump. Guitars are a non-basic need items. The value does not go up in this market. The inflation may, but the value does not. It's a false value, especially in the low end realm and I would not touch a used Affinity for more than $75 in a decent market. In the real sense the value is just not there.

As for the new line of Squier guitars. Poplar? You know Fender used poplar in their Mexican line in the 90's and put the brakes on that in 2000/2001. Product specs for the entire Squier line up I have for 2001 and 2004, indicates not one single poplar body in the bunch. Rosewood? Gone. Like the song says, "Where have all the good times gone"?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    LAPlayer likes this.
  5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA

6. Dinomikesr

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Decent: of an acceptable standard; satisfactory. More specific, one where millions and millions of jobs are not being lost due to world sickness and disease. One where the biggest concern about getting children back in school is not so they can learn but so they can be fed.

DougMen and LAPlayer like this.
  7. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Current sale prices of Squier Affinity Strats on eBay USA as of 8/10/20. These were 100% stock guitars without cases. (25) examples which is the threshold for statistical significance. I'll do another list for Reverb. A cursory review of Reverb looks like sale prices will be at least 25% lower. We'll see.

Some conclusions, not really statistical, but seem validish:
    - Uncommon finishes sell at the top of the range.
    - There is a lot of bidding and high pricing on guitars offered by charity organizations.

ebay_squire_affinity_sales.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    StratVegas, billyb and Loin Lover like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Is shipping included or separate from your sale price on there? Also, if separate, what you see as the shipping charge may not be what the buyer actually paid. Because shipping rates will vary depending on where it's going

9. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Sale price and shipping are in separate columns. There's no way to know what actual shipping was charged. The shipping prices are just what was stated in the listings.

drewcp likes this.
  10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

What I have found, in my limited shopping experience, is that the seller is just not aware of what the usual asking prices are. They see what the guitar sold for "new" and don't realize that a certain amount of devaluation has taken place. In these cases, the seller is not so much trying to cheat the buyer, as just not having a sence of what the guitars actual resale value is.

11. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I suppose I should have stated those downsizing guitar sales were all in very good to mint condition with one exception. It was a $30 Starcaster.

Another anomaly, perhaps, in my neck of the backwoods is the nearest music store is 30 miles away. I have read numerous ST members state their reluctance to travel very far, especially for lower dollar, budget friendly guitars. Me? Road trip if it is something I want and, perhaps, is difficult to find.

Case in point: Mrs. Lover and I had a tremendous road trip to Nashville and bought a Squier Telecaster Cabronita. It was the nearest (100+ miles) Cab for sale, and only a couple were listed online nationwide at the time. We met a cool collector (the Cab was his lowest quality guit he was liquidating), had a picnic lunch, and met a guy I had only dealt with via phone and mail. He was a tour bus driver for many rock and country stars such as Journey, REO, and Willie. Very cool, funny stories which spanned decades and gold albums lining a stairwell. Great experience.

That $200 Cabronita? Counting $25 in gas and my time, $225. I enjoyed it tremendous every time I picked her up and commented on her and the VM line often. At the time, $200 was a very fair deal on a 9.5/10 Cab, $25 was well worth it for a nice day trip.

I'm more willing to pay $25 in gas than pay some of the inordinate shipping charges some charge. Paying $50 for shipping a $800 used guitar does not hurt as bad as paying $50 for a $100 used guitar. Ain't happening here.

All that said, I always must consider the gross cost, not only the buying price.

StratVegas and LAPlayer like this.
  12. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    Nice chart Archetype but, unless I'm missing something on this list, almost all are not Fender products. They look to be mostly Cort and Yako.

13. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I’m guessing the Cort and Yako distinctions are for the factories that actually built the Squiers he listed.

drewcp and LAPlayer like this.
  14. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Pro's and enthusiast's are a small % of the total guitar market...making the majority of buyers fairly uninformed...I suspect that many of those Ebay sales were to buyers just starting out and dreaming of becoming the next guitar hero...
    They believe that any used guitar has to be a better buy than a new one...
    And (unfortunately) their ignorance drives the market in funny directions.
    Nobody here on ST would ever consider paying $225 for a used Affinity...but over on Ebay and CL there is a different caliber of buyer...in other words...
    there just isn't enough of us "smart" guys to keep the market in check !!!
    My 2 cents :) :)

LAPlayer likes this.
  15. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Do you not consider Squier guitars to be a Fender product?

16. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    They absolutely are. Cort, for example has plenty of "T-Style" offerings that have nothing to do with Fender.

17. StratVegas

StratVegas Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2019
    Nevada
    I wish I’d been saving all my watch-list Squiers for the last 6 months on SGW to track that sale price data, too.

18. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Correct.

drewcp likes this.
  19. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Then you may want to go read the first sentence of the post with that chart again.

Attached Files:

20. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Little overpriced sounding still. 80% used? I'll only do 80% of new usually a closeout and very rarely. Then I only buy used at 50% of that 80% . And only if its the finish I like. And I still have too many guitars so I'm even tighter now. To be fair I bought most of my collection in the crazy days 3 to 7 years ago. squier std strats 60 to 80$. Gibson faded sg repaired $160. Agile ss fret lp $299. Dean vendetta $60. Deals are tougher now.