Stock tuner whoa’s. Stamped steel Squier fix...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Bulletman, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Hi guys and long time that I’ve been here. Hope everyone is doing well. Eddie texted me about an amp I had on the Facebook Market Place and we ended up trading. He traded me an HB SC-550 deluxe and an NC4 that is in great shape. So it was time to start to up grade it. Purchased middle and neck Neodymium Single pickups - True Vintage from GFS in 7k and a 9k. The bridge is going to be a SD Hotrail. Also going in is a vintage style narrow big steel block bridge. Now for the tuners, not sure what other squires have, but the stock tuners on these NC serial number guitars are stamped steel and stock they are pretty bad. 14 to 1 gear ratio and very loose tuners. So I took one apart and found that the post is the issue. The gap between the post and the mounting plate is pretty wide for a tuner. Went to the hardware store a purchased push washers 7/32nds and are super thin, in the area of a few thousands, but that are a perfect fit and take up all the slack in these tuners and made them smoother with no play. I don’t like to upgrade tuners unless they are a drop in replacement. I just don’t like drilling holes in a guitar neck. You will end up with a more stable tuner by doing this.
    Please check out the video of how i did it. Huge difference in the tuner and I mean huge. Hope this helps.

-r3-, mb doug, TimTheViking and 9 others like this.
  2. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Completed set and better than factory.
    5254B229-11EB-4986-8372-E70477FCE715.jpeg

3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Flippin' awesome video !!! This is why I keep telling you that you've been missed. This is the kind of knowledge that changes lives. :)

I remember having a conversation with you at McD's about tuners that don't need drilling. I'm not a big fan of drilling when I don't have to. This is fantastic.

Where can I get the push washers? I have 14 NC Squiers. So that means I need 84 push washers. ha ha. I think my next set of projects is to do this to every NC I have when it comes time to change the strings.

What type of lube did you use? Is Vaseline ok? I think I used my daughter's Vaseline last time. She wasn't happy. ha ha

Great to have you back. I know you've been busy. But I'm glad you're posting again. :)

4. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  5. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Thanks Eddie. After talking to the Kluson tech for over an hour about these tuners, I started thinking about how I can make them a bit better and more stable and did this mod. It made a big difference. Much tighter feel and smooth. These are the washers you’ll need. I’m not sure if any other would work, but these are perfect fit. I got them from Trish home center right up the street from me. Less than a $1
    501E5ECF-55EC-4BB3-9A54-CF5CC0808F09.jpeg F82F7019-FDB7-4AE9-8860-938E97FF0756.jpeg A9ED134B-8B0C-4D4E-8328-AE1287B2FBE7.jpeg

6. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Send me one of your NC’s and I’ll surly pay you next Tuesday for an NC today...LMAO

7. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My NC quest is over. I have no more room in the mancave. You can have all the local NC's that pop from now on. :)

8. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Thanks for the great tip Bulletman! This will save some $$$

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Glad your back Brother ! ! We have to tell @Jeffam @jeff

mb doug, Bulletman and Eddie like this.
  10. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Hi Ken! Long time bro. Hope all is well with you and all

mb doug, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  11. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    @Bulletman would this work with any 7/32" washer?

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Great tip, @Bulletman. I don't have any of those tuners, but I'd definitely try this if I did.

I'd press the washers on with a nut driver or a small socket, though. I know my limitations, and I'm certain I'd put that little screwdriver straight through one of my fingers. :eek:

13. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Im really not sure, because these are super thin. I will measure the thickness as soon as find my calibers. Most standard washers are to thick though

14. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    I hear ya and that’s a better way to go! I’m a fabricator and I constantly use my hands for things like this, but using a small nut drive is good. Just have to make sure the washer tabs are pushed down so you can get the gear on.

15. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Ok, I measured the thickness and they are thin, so you’ll need to find these or something that is the same thickness. They are Between 0.010 and 0.011 inches or 0.26mm to 0.28 thick.

The reason is and I guess I lucked out by picking these washers, is that by tightening the gear screw tight, there is still about a thousands between the post, washer and the gear not letting the post and gear bind on the plate. Like I said I lucked out with this washer. It’s a perfect fit.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  16. spyhawk36

spyhawk36 Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2011
    Detroit
    Awesome video. I wouldn’t buy a set of $80 dollar tuners for a Squier guitar. $40 with shipping is the max for me.

17. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Creativity before capital. This is a perfect solution.

I'm drillaphobic. Prefer not to drill if I don't have to.

Then again, my wife just picked up a nice cordless Rigid Drill/Driver. I bet if I hid it, she won't even realize. :)

18. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    LMAO, that’s funny Eddie!
    I’m the same way, I don’t mind drilling, but on a guitar neck, not gonna happen.

I sent the video to Dave from Kluson and he said he wants to talk to me. Man I hope they decide to put out a direct fit tuner for these guitars that are 18to1. That would great news!!

19. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Awesome. I think you hit on something big !!!

20. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

let's order some of these - I need 6 for my NC7 I like to keep things stock if I can ?

mb doug and Eddie like this.