State of emergency in my city due to Bush fires

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by gearobsessed, Feb 15, 2017.

1. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    A State of emergency is declared in my city. Evacuations and such... Bush fires escalating quickly. I took this photo from the roof of the garage.
    My city is very unlucky. Only just getting our city back after years of earthquakes, now the city is burning.
    I watched a house get engulfed in flames as I stood and had a beer on the roof. Then I got the hell out of there. Madness. IMG_20170215_164240.jpg

2. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Good lord!

Give us an update as soon as you are safe.

gearobsessed likes this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    So sorry to hear this.

May your home stay safe. And indeed, may the city as a whole be spared all this.

Btw, apart from the ugliness of the situation.. what a lovely view. Hope you are back to it soon with clear blue skies!

-don

gearobsessed likes this.
  4. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Thanks Don.
    I live in a beautiful city. Coastal Pacific beaches and surrounded by hills and mountains. Our cbd has taken 6 years to rebuild earthquakes damage, and it's still a long way off.
    A secret service trained helicopter pilot has just lost his life in the efforts of fighting the fires. He emptied a load of water and a freak wind gust took him down. If a sas trained pilot couldn't survive it, no one can. I'm sure it's only delayed the chopper teams. It took 3 days of escalation for a state of emergency to be declared and the military to step in.
    There are a lot of folks here that could use your thoughts and prayers, including my sister and her household, and my cousin who lives on the hill. She can't get anywhere near her house, and it's dangerously close to the fire.

5. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    As seen from space FB_IMG_1487191736241.jpg

Attached Files:

6. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    You guys really need to start calling for prescribed burning by the state, local, and federal agencies. Those ecosystems are pyric in nature meaning they are actually adapted to and requires fire. Prescribed burning done in 5 year intervals will drastically reduce wildfires by reducing the duff layers that build over time.

five teles and gearobsessed like this.
  7. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Nz really isn't prepared for this kind of fire, mainly because it doesn't happen. This is the first time I've ever seen a Bush fire get out of control in NZ, really took us by surprise. This is probably the dryest summer we've had in a long time.
    I've only seen one other fire up north, and it was contained and extinguished within 24 hours.
    I think it doesn't help that our emergency services were preoccupied 4 hours north where recent earthquakes have destroyed state highway one.

jackdragbean likes this.
  8. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Take care man. Get safe and stay safe.

surf green and gearobsessed like this.
  9. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Very sorry to hear about this. From the aerial shot, you can see how close it is to the ocean. I hope local and regional resources can be brought it to fight it before too many home and businesses are affected. Good luck to you and all your neighbors.

gearobsessed likes this.
  10. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Stay safe buddy

gearobsessed likes this.
  11. five teles

five teles Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    Stay safe, Prayers for all involved.

gearobsessed likes this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Take care of you and yours and stay safe.

gearobsessed likes this.
  13. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    After the fires we had in the Gatlinburg and smoky mtns this fall i have a whole new respect for brush fires. Good luck and hope they get it controlled quickly.

fuelish, gearobsessed and five teles like this.
  14. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Looks like it's been fairly contained by now. Was a hell of a windy day, but they must have managed to contain it before the wind picked up. Almost 2000 hectares of black hill :(

duceditor and jackdragbean like this.
  15. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July.....Name that song!

Glad you are safe gearobsessed, sounded like a frightening situation.

gearobsessed likes this.
  16. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yikes!

That above shot looks like Mt St Helens pics.

Glad it's been contained.

gearobsessed likes this.
  17. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

yeah, the Gatlinburg fire.....there were a bunch of fires, one not too far from my house, actually (we live at the eastern edge of Maryville off of Sevierville Road) ...I was driving home from work one morning on 321, and saw a huge plume of smoke off towards the mountains, thought a plane had crashed, or something....guess that was the start of it in our area, but we had it made compared to G-burg, they got slammed, unfortunately

gearobsessed likes this.
  18. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    This fire got within 100m of subdivisions that could have been disastrous. The fire fighters are heroes without capes for sure. They without a doubt saved hundreds of houses and lives.
    Looks to be extinguished and a drop in temp and a couple rain drops would be doing a lot of good.

radiotech, ElRey67, Davey and 3 others like this.
  19. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Glad to hear that. Hope give us another update when you can

gearobsessed likes this.
  20. gearobsessed

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    We had a good 8 hours of rain today. Fire is out. They think the 3 separate fires were arson, quite possibly connected. I can't find the words to describe the type.

ElRey67 likes this.