SSS Jagmaster

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Robbmonster, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I think I will pull the trigger on it later this week. Jazzy-shaped Strat works for me :)

SquierTap and DougMen like this.
  2. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I put her on layby today :D

Given its potential 'collectability', I will likely leave the guitar stock. If the pickups really don't agree with me, I will swap them out.

Despite what the ad says, the serial number of the guitar - CY99***** marks it as a 1999 model, but this would place it in the year AFTER the last Vistas yes BEFORE the first of the Gen II's, so I don't know. I have yet to look at the guitar in person.

As for how it came to be in Australia, the store retains contact with an old customer of their who now lives in Japan and who occasionally buys various FSR models and resells them here for a small profit. AUD$450 minus store commission (20%) minus shipping can't leave much profit margin at all.

Hopefully this person doesn't do this too often of I will quickly run out of wallspace while appeasing my GAS.

We will see what happens, but between putting this guitar aside and the neck for my yellow Affinity arriving, it was a pretty exciting day :p

SquierTap and Big tuna like this.
  3. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I just strung the guitar up to take it for a spin (new pickups are a while away yet).

A few notes...

The ceramic pickups sound pretty good. While they are already quite low, I might try to take them a touch lower, then work my way back up.

The middle pickup is severely microphonic.

Action, intonation, and neck relief are all about out. In other words, she needs a setup.

And most surprising of all...

The plastic is still on the pickguard !!!! Not bad for what I believe is a 2009 model :)

Big tuna and SquierTap like this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I've never seen a jag (uar or master) with 3 single coils... I personally think it's sharp, man... I've never played an offset of ANY kind except my Bullet Mustang (if that counts, lol), but I'm normally a Strat fan, so this would be right up my alley!

5. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I vary. I used to be a dedicated Tele man, but find myself more into Strats these days. I also happen to love the Jazzy/Jag shape, so this guitar is great. But actually playing it, it is a BIG guitar, and is taking some getting used to.

At this stage - and my mind changes daily - looking at throwing a set of GFS Lipsticks in it. A real Jazzsurfer!

SquierTap, DougMen and GustangMcstang like this.
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I always thought that since Jaguars and Jazzmasters had a shorter scale that Jagmasters would be a shorter scale too...

7. jcmathews

jcmathews Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Great pickup! I've been keeping my eyes open for an offset at the right price, but anything remotely resembling an offset Squier or Fender is at least 50% more than the cost of a similar quality Strat or Tele. Heck, even on the GFS website, an offset body costs way more than the same style/wood body for a Tele or Strat.

All this to say, you did well, especially if the price was right!

Found this Stagg three-pickup offset for sale locally, but I can't find any info about it online. I'll probably pass on it.

[​IMG]

8. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Jazzmasters have the same scale as Strats - 25.5" - and I believe they always have. Jaguars have the 24".

Jagmasters on the other hand... I believe the Gen I (Vista series) had 24" scale, the Gen II has the full 25.5", and the Gen III was back to 24" scale with a conversion neck, meaning a full scale neck could be dropped in and readily used.

The one I have is 'for the Asian market only', and has little in common with the Jagmasters we know. 25.5" scale, basswood body, 5-way blade, 3 single coil pickups. An odd hybrid, but I am digging it.

Toddcaster64 likes this.
  9. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Don't know anything about Stagg guitars personally, but I know others here have experience with them.

Cool-looking guitar, though :)

10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The new Cyclone from the Paranormal series has the smaller Mustang body, 3 Strat pickups, Strat bridge and vibrato, and Gibson scale, at 24.75", so exactly halfway between Jaguar/Mustang scale and Strat/Tele/Jazzmaster scale. I'm tempted by the Daphne blue one, but when we had a used Fender one (which had Jaguar pickups) at the store where I worked, the switches were in a bad place, and would scratch my hand when playing rhythm. That's what's holding me back. I wish I could try one, but covid is preventing that.
    Fender_Paranormal_Cyclone_Daphne_Blue_0377010502_1024x1024@2x.jpg

11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This video has cured me of gassing for this guitar, because it's seriously lacking in high end spank and sparkle compared to the Strat

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  12. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

That Cyclone sure LOOKS the goods, but yeah, the position of those switches wouldn't make the guitar very cool for chord strumming.

I have one of the old Gen I Squier Cyclones that is currently waiting for some work to be done on it. Have also owned a couple in the past. LOVE the neck pickup on the old ones, but the humbucker was undesirable. Extremely heavy guitars, also, especially for basswood.