I saw a page about Squier serial numbers today, and when I went to Wikipedia.com, it stated about the same about Squier serial numbers:
- YN: Y = Yako (Taiwan), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.
- CY: C = China, Y = Yako (Taiwan), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.
- CY, COS, or COB serials are usually used on Crafted in China (CIC) Squiers. The plant from which the COB serial number prefix models originate remains a mystery. No documentation, or comment from the manufacturer has resolved the question of which plant produced them.
- Some Squiers that are sold only in the Chinese and Asian markets are made by Axl in China. These guitars usually have the serial number starting with CXS; with the 'X' standing for 'Axl'.
- Squier Classic Vibe series guitars/basses serial numbers start with CGS year of manufacture. 'C' is for China, 'G' is for Grand Reward (the name of the factory where the Classic Vibe and Fender Modern Player Series are built), and ’S' for 'Squier'.