Squier vm mustang pickup swap..beginner

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Randybobandy, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Randybobandy

Randybobandy Squier Talker

Dec 17, 2019
    Hey now all! 2nd post ever! Anywho. I have a squier vm mustang that I love, and I feel the bridge pickup is too hot for my liking. It reads about 10.3 iirc. I want something more in the 5.3 to 6 range. Only single coil I have laying around is the me k pickup from my squier 51, that is in disrepair..sadly. I'm wondering if anybody can second my thought of putting that in the bridge spot on the mustang? Can't afford any antiquities right now. So this is all I got to work with. Or! Should I just swap the bridge and neck already on the mustang? The neck reads 6.66 belive it or not lol. Thoughts?? Thanks to all.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I didn't care for those overwound things too. I swapped in Buddha Mustang pickups into my VM, so I hear ya. I got mine would to early 60s spec and they were great. The good news is that you can swap in just about most any Strat pickup, and those can be found pretty cheaply all over the net, in Alnico too.

As for your question, go for it. Put whatever is hottest between the stock neck and your '51 in the bridge position. 6.66 is perfect for the bridge \m/\m/

Randybobandy likes this.
  3. Randybobandy

Dec 17, 2019
    Thank you for responding, i wish i would of saw this sooner. Phones been dead. Lost charger lol. Anywho. I did not think to just use VM neck pickup at 6.66 for the bridge. What I did was I found a single coil that had 5.8 for output and put that in the bridge, spare mustang cover did not fit it so it's naked. And now I'm at 5.52 for the bridge and 6.66 for the neck. 3.02 for both pickups in phase and out of phase reads 3.00. So now after reading response. Now im thinking I take the 6.66 neck and put it in the bridge, and then should I use the 5.8 for the neck? Or should I use the squier 51 neck pickup that reads 3.52
    So 6.66 for bridge and 5.8 for neck? Or 6.66 bridge and 3.52 for neck? And side note. Wow What a drop in volume for the out of phase with lower output bridge.

Mr Bones likes this.
  4. Randybobandy

Dec 17, 2019
    1. Thank you for responding, i wish i would of saw this sooner. Phones been dead. Lost charger lol. Anywho. I did not think to just use VM neck pickup at 6.66 for the bridge. What I did was I found a single coil that had 5.8 for output and put that in the bridge, spare mustang cover did not fit it so it's naked. And now I'm at 5.52 for the bridge and 6.66 for the neck. 3.02 for both pickups in phase and out of phase reads 3.00. So now after reading response. Now im thinking I take the 6.66 neck and put it in the bridge, and then should I use the 5.8 for the neck? Or should I use the squier 51 neck pickup that reads 3.52
      So 6.66 for bridge and 5.8 for neck? Or 6.66 bridge and 3.52 for neck? And side note. Wow What a drop in volume for the out of phase with lower output bridge.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. Randybobandy

Dec 17, 2019
    Just noticing now that what is supposed to be both picks ups in phase (both switches going same way) is the out of phase, switches going in opposite directions now appears to be both pickups in phase. The only thing I could of done wrong is have the hot wire in the ground spot and vice versa. Any thoughts as to how it got reversed? Thus was my first time doing anything like this.

Mr Bones likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Oh don't worry, it's a pretty common occurrence when mixing different brand pickups. With the Mustang switches, it's really not a big deal, IMHO, since the switches can alternate the phase. To get the controls to work as stock, then you simply flip the leads from the 'new' pickup, since IIRC the stock VM pickup has shielded leads, which is more of pain to switch over. I'm assuming the 'new' pickup has a two-lead wire, no shield.