Squier Tele vs Mexican Fender Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by bugo, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bugo

bugo Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Tulsa
    I'm looking to buy a new Tele in a year or so. How does the quality match up between the Mexican Fender Standard Telecaster and the high-end Squiers? Are all the Squiers solid wood or are some of them plywood? Nothing against plywood guitars, but if I'm going to buy a new guitar I want a solid body. How much better are the electronics and pickups in the Mexican Fenders? Are the American Fenders worth the extra money? I'm leaning toward the Mexican Standard because I like the Lake Placid Blue color. I'll probably go to GC and play several guitars and pick the one I like the best, but that Lake Placid Blue has a hold on me.

2. Stratatattat

Stratatattat Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2010
    US
    i don't have much in the way of tele knowledge, but for strats, the MIM fenders have better hardware (steel blocks in the trem) but the squiers have better electronics (alnicos as opposed to ceramics).

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Hi Bugo, the Fender Mexican telecasters went from warm good sounding alnico pickups to bright ceramic pickups in 2005. So MZ4-serials and earlier sound better and more authentic in my opinion. Now if you're going to upgrade anyways just go for whichever is a good deal. I think the earlier ones are better overall. If you're gonna go Squier go for something like a Classic Vibe telecaster they have alnico pups also.

4. LauraMarie

LauraMarie Squier Talker

Jul 5, 2011
    NorCal
    I agree that the CVs overall are a better value than the MIMs.

5. randypttt

randypttt Squier-Nut

Aug 3, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    +1 on that. Great guitars. I have a CV50. It's bada**. :D

6. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Not if you're left handed ! ...lol
    Then MIM's are Fender's first tier, unless you're lucky to find an old Fuji Japan Squier.

7. telegal55

telegal55 Squier-Meister

Jan 23, 2011
    marcus hook pa
    hi bugo i have read these threads before and i have to put my 2cents in .i have owned squiers and mims in the past and still have both in my arsenal .i had a squier blackboard pine with alnico pups and it was a great guitar i had a squier affinity ceramic pups and it was a great guitar .i now own a fender tele copperburst 2011 with ceramic pups and it is a great guitar .and i have a squier bullet tele with 2 hbs .and it is a great guitar. with all that said please take your time when trying out your guitar .and do a side buy side i should be up to you to pick your sound its what you like your guitar to sound like .keep in mind its not just the guitar its also the amp to.i happen to like the stock ceramic pups in my mim they sound great with my blues jr fender hot rod.it also sounds great in my friends prinston 112 plus .some times when making a choice of a new guitar it is good to seek advise but the one who has to decide is you.whet ever you end up with you have the option to mod if you want to change the sound .but get the guitar that you can say THIS IS WHAT I LIKE .

Attached Files:

8. LauraMarie

LauraMarie Squier Talker

Jul 5, 2011
    NorCal
    I always try my guitars unplugged for the first time. This forces you to focus on more of the playability than sound. After that I do plugin, but to a lower end amp in the clean channel only. The main thing is to feel comfortable with the guitar. Pups can always be changed later if you want a different personality.

9. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    All Teles are good. I'd place my affinity against any mim on the market. There are some great knock offs out there, too.

10. kennesawbob

kennesawbob Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2011
    Kennesaw, GA
    I always buy used and upgrade the pups, caps, pots, wiring, etc... I save alot of money AND.....get the sound I want. It takes alittle more time but the end results, well....perfect!

11. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
    I want another Tele in a bad way. The Bullet Tele has me hooked. In order of what I'd love to have from least to most -- Classic Vibe Tele, Vintage Modified Tele Custom, Pro Tone Fat Tele, SQ Tele Custom. (I'd consider trading one of my SQ Strats for the last 2!!!)

Tele's RULE!

12. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I've got a Blonde Tele Custom II I'd be willing to part with.;)

13. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Unfortunately the PT Fat and the SQ TC are not plentiful ..

14. czook

czook Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2011
    NWMO
    I have had a dozen or so MIM's and the only Squier that comes close or is better than some of the models is the CV50 Squier tele.

The necks on MIMS are awesome and I have read several places that they are the same necks as the MIA's except the grain pattern may not be fancy.

The best neck I have felt on a Fender Squier, MIM or MIA is the MIM Roadworn Tele on a 2009, I sold it when I got into partscasters.

15. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
    Oh hell no. And I likely wouldn't have the disposable cash if one did pop up any time in the near future... It's nice to dream though.

16. rompo

rompo Dr. Squier

Jan 24, 2010
    ARKANSAS
    I agree with telegal55. You have to go with what you like. Also, when people say that they would put their affinity up against any other tele that tells me that squier is really doing it right from the bottom up. I personally love the feel of my affinity neck!

17. MiK_Squier_II

MiK_Squier_II Squier-holic

Jul 18, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I do the same thing, if it doesn't sound good acoustically I don't pick it up off the rack.

18. Nelson DeJesus

Nelson DeJesus Squier Talker

Jul 23, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Right off the bat..blam-Squiers use outsourced custom pickups(?) Alnicos 2-5
    the MIM on Std's use ceramic bar magnet pups...to my ears they're inferior as far as quality cause you can.t calibrate authentic tones...MIMs are a good guitar to start customizing on..Squiers in the CV series feel like a custom made guitar...that;'s for the basic price of a MIM to a Squier(not plywood neither) and a good case...I have read where some not know it all will say what they will...but my friend from a $180.00 Squier you get an Ash body ,a very decent neck and with a lil know how you can do alot...if you do get a MIM change the pickups from a Squier CV on ebay or even Angela's stores $15-$30...and you'll do great...good luck!! Btw most of the guys here are pretty cool and they'll guide ya well..ask mucho cause it's ur money being spent.!!:cool:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  19. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    You should go with what feels and sounds good to you. That said, everyone that has a CV reeally sings their praises, with really no mods actually needed.

While not a tele, this may say something about the MIM quality. I took my modded Squier strat with me to jam with an old HS friend last winter. He has a room full of Fender guitars (strats and teles and mostly high end). We played for a while and he asked if he he could play my strat. He said it sounded great clean. He liked it so much that when I left he sent a MIM strat home with me along with a check to mod that guitar like mine.

Once I got that guitar home and disassembled it, I found that it had the same cheap plastic nut as a stock Squier, ceramic pickups and a trem bolck very much like the stock Squier (a bit larger, but still the same pot metal). I also found that the rosewood fretboard overhung the neck by a slight amount all the way up the neck on both sides. Definately could feel that ridge while playing. This was on a guitar he had paid $500 for.

It really left me wondering what he had actually bought for $500.

My son and I tried out a Fender silverburst tele at GC about a month ago. It left us very unimpressed in both feel and sound. Actually, we both knew that my modded $109 SX BSB ash tele sounded far better and felt much more solid. (That SX tele has Fender Original Vintage pickups, Graph Tech nut and Fender switch, pots and cap)
    My total cost is right at $200, the MIM we tried was $500.

All things to consider. If you buy the MIM and plan to upgrade it then it really doesn't turn out to be much of a bargain at all.

StarRaider likes this.
  20. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Squier-Nut

Nov 13, 2011
    Hagerstown. Md.
    I think we're a little late to the party guys; this thread is 4 months old !