Squier Tele Deluxe - is it legit?

FNQGuitar

Squier Talker
Aug 5, 2022
Australia
Hey guys, going to check out what's apparently a Squier Classic Vibes 70's Tele Deluxe tomorrow. I'm a bit suss on whether it's legit or not.

1. The headstock says made in China, not Indonesia (as per the Squier website)
2. The serial number is CY - Chinese or Taiwanese? Doesn't come up when I run it through the serial number look up though
3. The neck seems a bit pale? Maybe unfinished rather than the gloss you'd expect on the current production run

So, just trying to figure out what this actually is? Is it a fake? Replacement neck? Old production run? I've spent two hours and I can't find any other pictures of a Squier tele deluxe quite like this one.

The current owner says he's switched out the tuners to locking Gotoh's and rewired the switches, but that it's otherwise stock.

Can any of you legends help me out with this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tele1.jpg
    tele1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 46
  • tele 2.JPG
    tele 2.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 47
  • tele 3.JPG
    tele 3.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 47

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, going to check out what's apparently a Squier Classic Vibes 70's Tele Deluxe tomorrow. I'm a bit suss on whether it's legit or not.

1. The headstock says made in China, not Indonesia (as per the Squier website)
2. The serial number is CY - Chinese or Taiwanese? Doesn't come up when I run it through the serial number look up though
3. The neck seems a bit pale? Maybe unfinished rather than the gloss you'd expect on the current production run

So, just trying to figure out what this actually is? Is it a fake? Replacement neck? Old production run? I've spent two hours and I can't find any other pictures of a Squier tele deluxe quite like this one.

The current owner says he's switched out the tuners to locking Gotoh's and rewired the switches, but that it's otherwise stock.

Can any of you legends help me out with this?

Thanks!

This is not a Classic Vibe Tele at all, this is a PARTS guitar with an Affinity STRAT neck, and an older mid to late 2000s Indonesian Tele Custom HH body.....

It's worth far less being non original....how much is it?

None of this is Classic Vibe

FNQGuitar

Squier Talker
Aug 5, 2022
Australia
I agree. Definitely not a Classic Vibe.

I'm also thinking maybe a much older Affinity Tele Custom Deluxe but I can't find a single picture of one with a similar neck so you may be right.

Out of interest, how did you date the body?

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
The guy wants about $450 Australian for it. Far too much if it's Affinity, that's basically what they go for new over here.

It's worth HALF that much, don't even bother offering anything....you don't want it....it's not even intonated right and the saddles are moved WAY back toward the back of the bridge plate - it's a problem guitar that might not intonate properly due to the differences between the neck heel shape of a Strat and a Tele....

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I agree. Definitely not a Classic Vibe.

I'm also thinking maybe a much older Affinity Tele Custom Deluxe but I can't find a single picture of one with a similar neck so you may be right.

Out of interest, how did you date the body?

NO, that never existed unless you mean something with a true Telecaster headstock shape......the Affinity Tele Deluxe.....but that's recent from the last 2-3 years.....

There was a Vintage Modified but it had LARGER 'WIDE RANGE' pickups.....with a Strat style headstock....but it was never a satin 'no gloss' headstock and never said 'Affinity' on it because it wasn't an Affinity.....

You're probably thinking of this, but it doesn't match anything on the guitar you're looking at...

squier-vintage-modified-telecaster-deluxe-155865.png

FNQGuitar

Squier Talker
Aug 5, 2022
Australia
I'm gonna close this one off, thanks for your help. I did go to see it in the end, it was indeed an affinity strat neck on a tele deluxe body. Actually played pretty nice but the guy selling it was dodgy AF and I suspect it was stolen, or he'd done it to pass it off as a classic vibes deliberately. He immediately dropped it to $300 when I started questioning him on all this but I walked away.