Squier Strat (Indonesian made) Wiring Questions

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by brightside2, Sep 23, 2020.

1. brightside2

brightside2 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    Australia
    Hey guys, I'm planning to replace the stock pick guard and pickups with a prewired pick guard from Amazon. Since this is my first time doing something like this I went for a cheap pick guard just incase I screw it up!

The stock pick guard has 4 wires. 1 ground wire connected to the tremolo claw, 1 ground wire connected to the body, 1 ground wire connected to the output jack and 1 hot wire also connected to the output jack.

However the new prewired pick guard I bought only has 2 ground wires and 1 hot wire (see photos below).

My questions are:

What's the purpose of the ground wire being connected to the body?

Should I de-solder the body ground wire from the old pick guard and put it on the new one?

Why doesn't the Amazon pick guard have an extra ground wire for the body?

Cheers,

cavity.jpg

pg1.jpg

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The one in the body is connected to conductive paint in the cavities that helps to further reduce noise. So, yes connect it to the common ground on the new pickguard if you want. If you don't it won't hurt anything and everything will still work fine, but you may not get quite as much shielding against noise without it.

3. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Never mind Dougmen answered it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  4. It's just a easy to install a cheap loaded pickguard, as it is to install a higher end pickguard. The same principles apply in both cases.
    Show your guitar once you're finished. We love pics. Cheers, Barrie.

brightside2 and StratVegas like this.