Squier Origins Question?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by grayn, Feb 15, 2017.

1. grayn

grayn Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2017
    Lancashire, England
    As a relative newbie to world of Squier love, I was wondering what country origins are most favoured?

Here's my guess (in order).
    Japan. Korea. Mexico. Indonesia. China.

;)

2. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    It's almost impossible to make it that simplistic.

There's good points and bad points to all.

Japan would be first, but most are now beyond the pocketbook for many. A MIM Fender tends to run less money.

The Koreans as a whole have great necks so everybody says. Many bodies are composite tone woods or in common parlance, plywood.

etc, etc.

I personally prefer early-mid 90's Chinese, or Taiwanese made by Yako. The 'NC', variety are rivaling and often exceeding regular Koreans, excepting the Pro-Tone, in prices actually sold.

So it is really not a simple question to answer, IMO.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    I'll go with jeffam on this....I've got a K and an I.......I like em both.....I saw, and could not buy, a CV 50's Strat,( Chi), at a REALLY good price, and I regularly kick myself......I have seen both M and J , but did not know any better at the time, passed.......In general, I would go with a J, or I, anytime......but would look REAL HARD....at a newer C...........

Tough question, no simple answer...........In general, though, greyn...you are close.......................willhowl:confused::oops:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Rollmeaway likes this.
  4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Does it matter?.

BorderRadio and so1om like this.
  5. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have four Indonesian made Squiers. Three Bullets and one Standard. Personally, I like the thin necks on the Bullets. I had a beautiful Indo Affinity but sold it because of the narrow nut. The Standard has a slightly thicker neck but still very playable for me. Nowhere near as thick as the baseball bat necked Epi G-400 I couldn't ditch soon enough. The bullets all now have Fender locking tuners replacing the stock traps. Makes them a whole different animal. (Better)

But yea, every guitar is subjective. I think these Indo guitars are a pretty good base to start with.

willhowl and so1om like this.
  6. grayn

grayn Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2017
    Lancashire, England
    Not really, I was was just interested in the general perception, on this site.
    I've owned guitars from a multitude of different, European, Far Eastern and American countries.
    A good guitar is just as good, no matter it's origin.
    I suppose it's how it can effect value, as much as anything.

7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Kind'a fun that Squire has reached the point of cork sniffing! Well, almost anyhow! :D

-don

8. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    My 1998 CY (Yako) Squier Affinity Strat is pretty decent. It's just as good as the Indonesian Standard I once owned. It's got a nice neck w/rosewood board, nice full thickness alder body and really good electronics and pickups. It's weaknesses are it's cheap trapezoid tuners and small tremolo block. Of course all these things can be upgraded. :D

With any guitar there can be duds no matter where they are made. That's why I like to be able to check a guitar in person before I buy it. Now that being said I have fixed up quite a few "duds" that with a proper set up and a few tweaks here and there turn out to be stellar guitars.

9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Very much this, are we now falling in to the realms of snobbery to where our guitar is built...geez, have people not grasped the fact that music cares not what it is played on, that is a people thing...

willhowl likes this.
  10. grayn

grayn Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2017
    Lancashire, England
    Blimey!

Guess it was a dumb question then.
    Funny how reverse snobbery gets some people so angry.

Robb likes this.
  11. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    There is no dumb question Grayn, just eliminate stupid answers.
    And please dont mind "snobbery" no site is perfect :)

Cheers,

jackdragbean likes this.
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    No not angry ... Its all about the music to me, if we were to catogorise people in this way then....well.

13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I don't see it as a "dumb" question. Nor do I see anger in the responses.

Maybe that's me simply enjoying the human condition. ;)

If one is new to Squier guitars wanting to learn if there is a quality pecking order makes perfect sense. For those around them for a while, though, discussing the subject just brings back memories.

Today Chinese "Squiers" are being re-branded as "Fenders." -That with only a few minor changes such as using what is being called a thin "nitro" finish. And, yes, they are that good.

But just, maybe, two years ago there was a hot and heavy series of exchanges with a rather knowledgeable then new forum member who was quite passionate, speaking with "facts," explaining why Chinese factories were inherently below parr. Uhuh.

(Some wag, if I remember correctly, suggested that Apple be informed of this inherent weakness.)

The thing is... we somehow need to have classes. Distinctions. For people. For things. That, I suppose, because it seems to simplify otherwise complex choices.

Others laugh at it all, saying "Just play the damn things!"

I'm sort of in the middle. Enjoying the discussion. Seeing that there are differences, but not quite so much clear distinctions between "better" and "worse."

But then again, the OP didn't ask for that. Just "favoured." And that, I suppose, there well may be. :)

-don

willhowl and 5ofeight like this.
  14. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Well..... That's about it for me, I've reached that point again, this happens everytime on every site i've been thru the years.

Ciao guys

15. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Not a dumb question at all, but I do think values and desirability of Squier has risen in recent years and it is more to do with series than country of origin. Also personal taste and whether it is going to be a mod platform or out of the box player.

The top of The food chain, at least in cost and desirability are th JV's, but even those are not all created equal. Then probably SQ's. Now if you are talking out of the box players I think it is a toss up between the following:

Protones
    Modern CV's
    VM's
    USA Squier
    Deluxe and Standards

Now you start getting into the mod area (in generap)

Early MIK E series
    MIM and MIK Squier Series Fenders
    Later MIKs
    Early 2000' MIC
    SE series
    Affinities and Bullets

Of course this is just my opinion, ymmv, and in no way an exhaustive list.

willhowl likes this.
  16. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't be going Robb, It is only the internet, we haven't broken the world...

willhowl and MOD-VM70 like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Having owned Squiers since 1983, yes.. The MIJ of the 1980s are kinda on a higher level as they were on par with the Fender branded MIJ. I have my 1983 Stratocaster and 1989 Jazz Bass. Mixing in with the MIJ, into the 90s I believe there was a lot of shifting around with the production lines, various configurations of the parts, materials. Somewhere in there whatever "credibility" Squiers had was lost (my thought only...)

However, my 03 Affinity Tele is a decent build. I think that's Korea? I never had a Tele and at the time for $100 from a friend that fit the bill and still does.

I think the Classic Vibe Duo Sonic were the boost that Squier needed to a GREAT level of guitar. When the VM Jaguars/Jazzmasters hit in 2012, wow. Those were something else (and I know that level of the VMs were already there.) I got the Jaguar in July of 2012. Then a VM Jaguar Bass Special in 2014.

With all that happening, on a slight whim we picked up one of the 2015 blue sparkle HH Bullet Strats.. That's entry level compared to the VM, right? No way! It may have different features, feel, woods, etc. compared to the CV or VM lines, but it is a quality guitar. I do not view it as inferior or less than any other of my guitars (new or vintage) it's just it's own guitar/features. And really, these Indo guitars can hold their own with the MIJ.

willhowl, BorderRadio and duceditor like this.
  18. grayn

grayn Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2017
    Lancashire, England
    All really interesting stuff.
    Going to take a while to get around just how much Squier stuff is out there.

I always say to folk, when they see me looking at endless pics and sites of guitars, that there are 2 passions here.
    Music and gear.
    Music is what it's all about.
    Gear is like a minor (occasionally major) addiction.

I love the non-snobbish approach I see on this site and had no intention to create any.

willhowl, duceditor and 5ofeight like this.
  19. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Pardon the correction, but it's "screw-cap sniffing." ;):)

Ace38, willhowl, Davey and 5 others like this.
  20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Good one! :D :D :D

-don

willhowl likes this.