Squier JV Telecaster 1982-1984 / Questions

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by jonasguitar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. jonasguitar

jonasguitar Squier Talker

Oct 26, 2020
    Europe
    I just picked up a Squier JV Telecaster from 1982-1984, but I'm not sure if it is fully original.

The guitar is blonde with a maple neck which is normal, but the pickups are three single coils? I know that the normal JV telecaster from 1982-1984 has two single coils like a normal telecaster. The pickups on my guitar are 3 single coils like a strat, no top telecaster pickup. Is this another model or is it a modification?

Thank you!

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum!! We could sit here all day and speculate on whether or not it's original, but without you showing us photos we can't tell anything at all.....please show lots of detailed photos.....your guitar could just be a modified JV....

Davis Sharp and drewcp like this.
  3. jonasguitar

Oct 26, 2020
    Europe
    Thank you! Hope these will help

IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1638.JPG

Viking, hrstrat57 and Tamarindo03 like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That is a Modified JV Tele TL-52 '1952 reissue' style......the 2 strat pickups....those are not original.....originality is why these are going for a lot of money, not being original probably impacts value significantly....but not how it plays....could be the original pickguard but it's been routed obviously for bigger neck pickup and middle pickup.....

5. jonasguitar

Oct 26, 2020
    Europe
    Okay, thank you. Do you think it would be possible to change the pickups to new ones (that are normal, 1 neck, 1 bridge)? and change the pickguard with the new pickups?

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Of course. Do you have a soldering iron? You can download wiring diagrams from many places (I use Seymour Duncan and Guitar Electronics).

Welcome to Squier-Talk.

7. jonasguitar

Oct 26, 2020
    Europe
    Yes i do.
    If the former owner installed these unoriginal strat pickups, does it mean that the body is changed or modified?

8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You would have to look inside to know.

drewcp likes this.
  9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Squier Talker

Aug 18, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Oh man that’s a nice Tele!

congrats.

my recco would be a set of SD str/l 2 and that baby b smoking’

(but it might be smokin just as it is!

10. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    The bridge pickup looks like a Tele pickup and could possibly be original.
    Some pics of the back of the pickguard showing pickups, switch ,pots and wiring would get you some more answers.
    A pick showing the body routes will also get you more answers about modifications, but it must have been routed for the middle pickup at the least. I don't know if a Strat pickup will fit in the route for a Tele neck pickup, I've never tried.
    Good luck, That's most likely a great guitar.

Viking likes this.