Squier Esquire anyone?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by snivlem, May 15, 2020.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

Ordered mine yesterday. Sweetwater should send OP some candy :D

mijstrat72 and snivlem like this.
  2. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    Just ordered one. I'm stoked. First guitar purchase in a long time.

Taurus and BBQedIguana like this.
  3. BluesForDan

4. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    They're £50 more expensive than a Tele here, but have sold out.

Taurus likes this.
  5. BluesForDan

It has arrived. Whew, they sure pack these better than most guitars that I've seen that didn't come with a case or gig bag, I'll give them that. That plus Sweetwater's box effectively made it almost triple boxed. The guitar arrived in fine shape.

I'm a little surprised that the official description called these lightweight pine bodies. I'd be afraid of what they think is heavy. My '08 CV50 Tele (avatar) is 8 and a half pounds (3.86kg). Not exactly a lard ass but not a lightweight by anything except maybe '70s standards. I don't have my postage scale handy so the bathroom scale method says 8.6 pounds (3.9kg) for the Esquire. Hmm.

The neck feels a little smaller than my Tele but again, tools are not readily available at the moment. It is comfortable and the edges feel really nice like they are rolled. The fret ends are very nice done. It is bright and loud and surprisingly well set up out of the box. I will need to polish the frets and I was able to find my fret erasers. However I can't find my masking tape to tape off the neck.

No report on the pickups yet since I don't have any amps unpacked yet. I will try some recording samples later along with the tele. The real test will be when I get the frets slicked up and the guitar plugged into an amp. It looks killer and at some point, soon I hope, i will have to get a group portrait of all my Squiers together.

Dr Improbable, mijstrat72 and Taurus like this.
  6. mijstrat72

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    Mine will be at my place in two days! I will be home in three.

BluesForDan, Dr Improbable and Taurus like this.
  7. mijstrat72

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    Well it's sitting on my doorstep as I type this

8. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I agree with one of the other posts, just build your own.....

9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Just ordered mine. They are out of stock though....

The waiting will suck!

10. BluesForDan

found my tape dispenser but then I realized I don't have any strings to put on it. GC is still curbside pickup only. I have three guitars that I need to set up and I want to polish all their frets. I just ordered a three pack of strings now and am waiting for confirmation to pick them up.

11. mijstrat72

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    Well here she is boys!

First impressions, the action is higher than I'm used too, so a setup is happening tonight.

It's got grit. Even at apartment level volume clean through the blues jr. I can tell it's going to sound good at band volume.

The neck feels just like the other necks on my other CV's. the action at the nut is a little high, and I'm not sure if that's because of the tall frets. I did lower the saddles a smidge and got a little rattle from the frets.

Right now I'm not really caring for that third position tone. I haven't run it through any distortion or fuzz pedals yet though. I'm not sure if I'm going to eldred mod it or not, I would like to have that position usable for something.

I think as far as modding, I'm not going to do it, except obviously maybe a capacitor change for that third position. I've been thinking about it, and at least in my mind people back in the day probably did not buy a guitar in mod the peanuts out of it right off the bat or even for years later. Modifications were done out of necessity, to keep the guitar playing.
    So I guess I'm going to go old school with this guitar, and not modify it unless it's necessary.

And Esquire is supposed to be an inexpensive, entry level, no frills type guitar. And this totally hits that mark.

I think my cat likes it too LOL

Attached Files:

RobX and Best1989 like this.