Squier contemporary hh telecaster..unfinished maple fretboard???

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Powerstroke, May 29, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Meister

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Im hopeful its just covid

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  2. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup, we'll see, over the course 2021 and 2022. I'm hopeful since I've bought a 2021 FSR Bullet Strat SN#6900s and a 2021 FSR Bullet Tele SN#40300s, and there was a slight improvement in the fit n finish between, most notably in the finish. However they're Indonesian, so that may/may not reflect the Chinese side of the Squier. My between my 2017 and 2020 Contemporary Telecaster HHs theres a definite step down between them, altho I do not know how much of it was due to the sunsetting of the model or Chinese "standards" of quality. We'll just have to wait n see.

EDIT: Perhaps I should point out that for the two Chinese Contemporaries, they both were made in the Yako, Zhangzhou factory. I've heard it's supposed to be one of the better Chinese guitar factories there. Mind you, for me it's hearsay, so unless someone else can corroborate this with proof, I cannot consider this as fact. :END EDIT

2021 Indonesia Squier FSR Bullet Stratocaster
    IMG_20210528_074807_HDR.jpg

2021 Indonesia Squier FSR Bullet Telecaster
    IMG_20210528_074917_HDR.jpg

2017 China Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH
    SquierCTHH FF2 S V(4000²).jpg

2020 China Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH
    IMG_20210515_112616_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Seems Indonesia ones are nicer

The strat is 08 indo rest are Chinesium 20210609_235301.jpg

Lanaka likes this.
  4. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    In general, I tend to agree. My general order of preferences are:

American > Mexican > Japanese > Korean > Indonesian > Chinese

Ofc, there ARE exceptions to this. I can think of two specific examples from my collection:

The 2007 Japanese Strat I have seems equal in some respects to the 1992 Mex Strat, while (to me) superior than the Mex in other respects. The other is the 2017 Chinese Yako made Contemporary Telecaster HH. It seems about equal or better than the Indonesian 2021 FSR Bullet Telecaster in some respects, however my 2020 Contemporary T.HH seems somewhat lesser than the Indonesian FSR Bullet, but is still better than many other Chinese made guitars I have.

I recognize the red Contemporary in the middle! The Jackson on the right...that one looks too big to be a Dinky so it has to be one of the lower level Soloist. Right? (I'm thinking maybe a JS-22 Soloist.)

5. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    My squier 2021 FSR Mustang bullet neck great at the front happy with we'll rolled frets. but the back is really ruff.you can hear it when you rub your hand down it:D

Lanaka likes this.
  6. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Its a bolt on neck dinky

7. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I saw this.. gotta have it.. i think its a 2019
    Indonesia. Should be decent and match my others.
    Off to drive 1.5 hrs to Phoenix az. Will report back my fellow horders Screenshot_20210610-144052_Opera.jpg

Lanaka and Kinnon09 like this.
  8. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, that looks like a Guitar Center page. Good luck in that guitar being worth the 3 hrs drive and the 110$+tax price!

9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    LOL, I got gotcha'ed again! I thought the Dinkys were smaller bodied guitars, thus the name. Live and learn. :D

In self defense, I admit I really don't know the rest of the Jackson line well, I'm more familiar with the big Vs, in particular the older Rhoads and King Vs. ;)

1994 Jackson JRR-94 Concept V, Kamanaʻo (The Concept) <LEFT>
    1985-87 Kramer Voyager body & 1988 Epiphone S-Series neck Hybrid, Hōkūʻulaʻula (Red Star) <RIGHT>
    3CC7D10E-F42B-4E78-8977-D77DC0744618.JPG
    These are two of my 5 pointy guitars. The 80s Cort Flying V, the 1984 Electra X2RD Futura and the 2008 ESP LTD AX-50-BF are the rest of the pointy clan.

The 80s Cort Flying V, Panalele (Flying Arrow)
    CortFV Full Front A F(1580x2580).jpg

The 1984 Electra X2RD Futura, Āpōpō (Tomorrow)
    Electra X2RD Futura FF S RVCF(1300²).jpg
    Please note thst this is a stock photo I downloaded from the net. MY guitar is not nearly as pretty, BUT I intend to restomod it to look like this photo but with Invaders.

2008 ESP LTD AX-50-BF, Ikōʻele (Black Ink) <LEFT>
    2008 ESP LTD AX-50-SSs has been stolen. <RIGHT>
    IMG_0118188.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Powerstroke likes this.
  10. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    They are..3/4 is very close. Looks normal. The Jackson minion is pretty obvious.
    So i bought the guitar. No cracks in neck pocket like usual. Nice feel neck. Sounded good on some fender mustake modeling amp .
    $119 out the door. Made them produce the strap in pictures and a wammy bar. Tired of buying guitars missing stuff.
    Funny how a cheap guitar feels better than these new player series fenders.
    Its a affinity chicken head 2019 Indonesia. Normal size frets slim body deal. Plastic still on bridge pup and pickguard. Loose jack hole

Lanaka likes this.
  11. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    We drive down here alot. Its not worth it but it doesnt matter because theres never anything in northern az where i live. Even flagstick sucks.

Lanaka likes this.
  12. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Owch, sounds like the back could've use more time with the finer sandpapers at the factory before being finished. ;)o_O

Seriously tho, sounds like something ye can fix with a few swipes of the finer sandpapers before hitting it with satin amber clear.

Kinnon09 likes this.
  13. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    What cheap walmart paint works for the neck?

Lanaka likes this.
  14. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Yes just not got round to it yet. Have got loads of stuff to do will do it Saturday I think;)

15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Noticed that the latter days Squiers tend to be better, especially those from other locations than China.

I know the feelin bro. I always ask whether the parts are all there. (And usually get them.)

Tis pretty sad when ye REALLY think about it, that Squier can do an end run on Fender by making a really good model for WAY cheaper than Fender cares to charge for their stuffs. A good example are the Stagemasters or even the Contemporary Telecaster HHs (at least in the beginning). And then Fender tells them to stop. Then Squier comes up with a new end run model. :D

I've seen the Minions, but thought they were the Dinkys. Now I know there are smaller Jacksons. Altho I cannot get the mental images of little Minions running around with miniature Vs in their hands now. :D

That sucks, I know the feeling. There are 3 guitar shops around where I live, but IF I want a new guitar and get a deal on it GC is the only player to regularly go to. Altho I do occasionally still can snag a deal in the smaller shops if they're trying to clear room...usually around time when new models comes out.

16. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I have to put hands on a guitar to buy it. Otherwise it might not be worth it.

Fender just doesnt make that great stuff anymore lol.

Lanaka likes this.
  17. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm, tbh, methinks the paints at the hardware store tend to be too thick unless ye try the automotive rattlecans. Which is probably yer best bet anyway. At least with Fender, the finishes they use are often off-the-shelf automotive factory colors. I remember seeing a list somewhere on the net that crosslinked the Fender colors with automotive colors from various Makes.

For the neck, however, you'll probably need special finishes from the woodworker side of things, you could try wood varnishes and stains, but you may wanna thin them a bit else they gonna go on really thick. They often are designed to go on in one coat.

I just take the easy way out and use those clear ambers from places like StewMac. Might cost more but they should get the job done in one shot (not counting the number of multiple coat/sanding).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  18. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    No arguments there, Ive had a couple bad experiences on buying a guitar online and not liking the results. That's why I like Guitar Center, at least ye can order an used guitar, have it shipped to yer store. Then check it out there. If it doesn't pass, ye can then return it on the spot and get refunded.

More specifically Fender dont make anything good at a good price anymore. Their prices seem to go up every year. But the quality doesn't keep apace with the prices. Mass-produced quality at custom shop prices? No thanks.

And when ye DO go custom shop, the prices are staggering. Hell, I'm rebuilding guitars myself to MY specs and I generally pay a quarter to a third of the custom shop prices or less. Hell, even Warmoth is cheaper than Fender prices...and ye have more options!

Powerstroke likes this.
  19. Powerstroke

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Yes sir. I live 1.5hrs to the closest gc sadly

Lanaka likes this.
  20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Meister

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I travel by bus, so nearest... actually the ONLY GC in Hawai'i, is about 45 mins away, one-way. If I was still driving, it'd be about 25-30 mins, but I'd have to deal with the traffic directly myself.

LOL, I do sometimes get strange looks from the bus driver. Usually happens if I get on bus with something like either a large rectangular guitar HSC or a Fender 2x12 combo. So far, they've let me on the bus e'en tho its pushing the limits of what's allowable on bus. :D:rolleyes:

Kinnon09 and Powerstroke like this.