Squier Bullet Tele's 2021 have shielding paint, right?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Chimey, Dec 2, 2021.

1. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Speaking of SW, Samick (and Fender for allowing this) are getting VERY sloppy matching the woods on transparent finishes, with this Tele being an especially atrocious example, with gorgeous quilted maple on half the top, and a plain piece for the other half. Who would buy this monstrosity? Here's a few other examples too. If I spent $450 or $480 on one of these sight unseen from another dealer that doesn't show you photos of the actual guitar, and they sent me one of these, I would not be happy.

2021-12-02 (16).png 2021-12-02 (15).png 2021-12-02 (14).png 2021-12-02 (13).png 2021-12-02 (12).png

drewcp and LutherBurger like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
  3. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    OMG. I can't believe that first one is real. They are all unacceptable. Ugh. Yeah, its gotten to the point that even with Fender I can't buy Sunbursts or natural grain guitars sight unseen. They're more often than not pretty atrocious.

drewcp and DougMen like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah that first one is an abomination. The BSB Tele and the Jag are the least offensive, and may be less noticeable in person. My CVC Tele was like that. It was obvious in photos but barely detectable in person. It also depends on the angle of view and the lighting. The seam is pretty obvious in the first 3 pics here, but can't even be seen in the last 2
    DSCN0733.JPG DSCN0734.JPG DSCN0737.JPG DSCN0735.JPG DSCN0736.JPG

drewcp, shingh2002 and grizzlewulf like this.
  5. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Yep, I see what you mean about the disappearing seam. And, that's way better than the others.

6. MAS Tequila

MAS Tequila Squier Talker

Nov 22, 2021
    south FL
    Back to the shielding paint.

I had my 2021 Bullit Tele open last night.

The control cavity and neck pick up have a half assed attempt at shielding paint, none in the bridge cavity.

MT

7. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Thanks. This is good to know.

8. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    My new Squier CV Jazzmaster has a lot of static noise if I touch the pickguard. I'll have to lift the hood and have a look...

Chimey likes this.
  9. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Tis the season for static electricity. Your JM probably is not factory shielded, (please let us know if you open it) but you can try rubbing a clothes dryer sheet on the pickguard - it may help for now. You may just have normal static buildup on the pickguard from dry winter weather/home heating. It's worked for me before. I do like to shield everything inside the cavities too tho...

johnnywizzo likes this.
  10. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I've done this with other electrics, but it always works for just so long before the static returns. I would really like a permanent cure. Even with guitars that I have lined with copper shielding tape, the problem still exists to an extent. I have only had this problem with single coil guitars.

Chimey likes this.
  11. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Yeah, that is weird. I did have a problem with a Gibson SG Special something or other...or maybe it was an LP (or both, lol)... anyway, they were humbucker guitars with static on the back plastic control cover. You could hear it rub against you thru the amp while playing...nothing worked to get rid of it and I read others were having probs with static and Gibson's at the time and couldn't figure it out so they want back.

EDIT: I remember at the time, I watched a YouTube vid of a guitar repair guy with a LP with same static problem he couldn't figure out and he finally grounded the screw or something of the control cover to something... Anyway it was weird and way too much work for a new guitar to problem solve and fix so I returned it.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  12. AxelMorisson

AxelMorisson Squier-Meister

Nov 15, 2021
    Fagaras, Romania
    Hello there folks in search of noiseless Squires! What I can tell is that neither the 2020 Bullet Strat nor the 2021 Chinese transitional model Affinity Strat I recently got (from March) that you helped me with in this forum- none of these has a decent shielding paint job ( the latter does NOT have anything, it's funny as it still has the wire with a stud that goes into the wood somewhere and should connect to the paint and just a smidge on the side of the cavity). The last in my personal collection to have acceptable shielding paint is a 2019 Mini Jazzmaster. In general all of my Indonesian squires - the 2019 mini jazz, the 2020 Mustang , the 2012 HSS Affinity strat, all have decent shielding paint jobs, and my Chinese bullet and Affinity don't.....
    But I digress- the shielding paint- no matter what quality and quantity- is nowhere near perfect for a nice durable shielding job. Folks I talked with said that older paint-shielded guitars get noisy in a couple of years and they usually either re-apply shielding paint (expensive, messy, and not a final solution- and not a perfect shield)- or they put shielding tape in the cavities , copper or alumi(ni)um foil with one-side adhesive (cheaper and much better).
    But the most important part is - make sure the shielding IS GROUNDED. If the foil is perfectly applied- on the pickguard and in the cavities, in contact with each other, etc but no electrical contact between the trem claw or bridge and back of the pots and this newly installed foil , it would be for nothing. Make sure- with a multimeter on continuity testing - that there is an electrical connection between ALL of the following: your newly installed shield- the backs of the pots- the foil on the pickguard- the ground point of the electrical harness (all wires in guitar) -and the ground lug at the output jack. And the strings. Yes it might seem redundant- but this way one ensures there is no way for noise to ruin our fun..And make sure all parts of the tape foil are in electrical contact with each other, that is either the glue is conductive or you add solder-on wires or bend tabs so that their metal faces touch- there must be a continuous conducting surface all around your electronics in the guitar- and then we're golden.
    Oh and don't forget to also shield the output jack cavity in stratty things- but make sure the shield does not touch the "live" signal lug or the lugs on the switch- bend, move away from, or insulate as appropriate.

johnnywizzo and Chimey like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Western NY, USA
    There's a thread either here or on one of the sister sites that shows a surf green Bullet Tele newish body that's shielded except for the bridge pickup cavity. Might be your thread.

Chimey likes this.
  14. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Yeah, I think I just saw that yesterday maybe. Maybe it was a TDPRI bullet mod thread. I wasn't sure if they said what year and country of origin that surf green was tho.

archetype likes this.
  15. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    drewcp and archetype like this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    If I was still a touring/gigging musician I might buy the first one just for the attention.

17. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Well, now this is confusing. I thought we'd established Squier doesn't shield the new Indo CV's....at least I think they don't shield the single coil CV's or thinlines but, they smathered (yeah, that's a word, lol) it all over this 2021 double humbucker Indo CV 70s Deluxe Tele. Hmmm....

https://stratosphereparts.com/fende...s-deluxe-telecaster-tele-body-hardware-white/

Description: Official Fender Squier Classic Vibe '70s Deluxe Telecaster Body & Hardware- (includes bridge & neck plate)- Poplar- 4 lbs, 12 oz- Genuine Fender
    Color: Olympic White
    Condition: Mint
    Year: 2021
    Country/Make: Indonesia

[​IMG]

18. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    Make sure your house/location electrics are good. If they are not 100% good then shielding may not work to reduce Mains and Radio Interference (RF) and even user body static.

A few years ago my normally quiet home system my guitars started to get a lot of RF noise and some mains noise. I bought one of these mains testers,

USA plug version,

$4.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...eptacle-tester-with-gfci-diagnosis-63929.html

[​IMG]

UK version,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303636033545?epid=1928494650&hash=item46b21e3009:g:u0AAAOSwiw1fIEIg

[​IMG]

I tracked it down to bad ground in an extension box and weak grounding from my Mains box. As I have qualifications in house electrics I knew where my ground point was to a water pipe and renewed the ground clamp. I made sure the ground wire was good by cutting back to fresh clean wire and also sanded to clean metal the contact area before fitting the clamp.

Doing both these thing brought my noise back down close to zero.

If the grounding in your location is not 100% then shielding of the guitar may not help as it needs a good mains ground to work.

Quote from a recent poster who fixed his Nosie problems in another thread.

"Never in my life would I have expected to find so many crappy plugs in my house. OMG. If it's not an open ground, it's got live & neutral swapped.

Thank you for posting this. I'm gonna have a great time trying to get this straightened out lol. Just got my checker about a 5 mins ago."

HTH :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Chimey likes this.
  19. Chimey

Chimey Squier-Meister

May 5, 2015
    USA
    Heads up on the GC on sale LPB Bullet Tele - I called GC over an hr ago about it and they only had one left in the country - a floor model shipping from a local GC store. Saved me $150 bucks. Lol

Hal Nico likes this.