Squier Bullet Telecaster FSR white 2021

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Jimbojimmy, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Jimbojimmy

Jimbojimmy Squier Talker

Nov 21, 2021
    London
    Hi guys,

Newbie here, just recently got this beautiful Squier Bullet Telecaster FSR in vintage white. I think I'm quite luck, really well made and nice dark indian loral fingerboard.

Attached Files:

Chimey, Cochise, surf green and 12 others like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Western NY, USA
    Enjoy! After a setup, they're fine guitars and an amazing value.

JurnyWannaBe, Caddy, SoCalJim and 2 others like this.
  3. longtortoise

longtortoise Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2018
    CA
    Beautiful, congratulations. I have one in surf green from 2018.

4. Jimbojimmy

Jimbojimmy Squier Talker

Nov 21, 2021
    London
    How are you finding your surf green tele? Have you done any mods to it?

5. SoCalJim

SoCalJim Squier-Nut

Nov 12, 2020
    SoCal
    JurnyWannaBe, dbrian66 and Jimbojimmy like this.
  6. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Cool one! Enjoy it!

dbrian66 and Jimbojimmy like this.
  7. longtortoise

Nov 11, 2018
    CA
    I like it, but I think the newer ones may be a bit better. I've done a number of mods but they're mostly unnecessary; the bullet is a good guitar as-is. I played a Player tele and bullet back to back today. I loved the maple neck on the player, and the knobs and tuners felt nicer, but the bullet didn't feel like it was less than 1/4 the price.

Lete know if you want to know more about modifications I made to mine.

8. TheVoid

TheVoid Squier-Meister

Jul 25, 2020
    Nebraska
    Looks really nice. Tempted to pick up a Bullet tele on sale from Guitar Center right now. $171 with tax.

9. Jimbojimmy

Jimbojimmy Squier Talker

Nov 21, 2021
    London

Yes I'd be interested what sort of modifications you've done to it!

10. Jimbojimmy

Jimbojimmy Squier Talker

Nov 21, 2021
    London
    Are they still available in surf green from guitar centre or any other shops in States?

I'm in the UK

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  11. longtortoise

Nov 11, 2018
    CA
    @Jimbojimmy The surf green is currently $190 at GC.

As far as mods...
    • Basic setup - adjust neck relief with truss rod, adjust action at the saddles, adjust intonation. Do it!
    • Set pickup height. This can make a big difference in sound. If you don't love the pickups please try adjusting their height before replacing them!
    • Locking Hipshot tuners - $50 - these are nice and mount easily via provided bracket, but the stock ones hold tune just fine. One of my stock ones was a bit finicky so I decided to replace them all. Not necessary.
    • Tusq XL nut - $10 - nice nut, fits well with just sanding down the bottom. I think I had a problem with strings getting stuck in the stock nut when tuning. The stock nut was very stuck and had to be basically chiseled out.
    • Tusq string trees - $10 - not necessary, especially adding a second one.
    • Neck/fret ends - I used a soft sanding block wrapped in micromesh abrasive sheets to roll the edges of the fingerboard and round off the feet edges. The kit with the block and sheets was something like $20. Certainly worth doing.
    • Polishing frets. My frets were rough and gritty, especially noticeable during bends. I taped off the fingerboard, leaving the frets exposed, and used the same micromesh sheets to polish the frets. Worth doing.
    • New pickups and electronics, with a 4-way switch. The 4-way switch gives a thick, humbucker-like option of both pickups in series. I like my new pickups, BYOG Vortex vintage hot set, very much. They're rumored to be similar to the Tonerider Hot Classics and stock CV pickups through 2018 or so. New switch is an oak-grigsby that has a satisfying click. There isn't anything wrong with the stock stuff, but I don't regret changing it all out.
    • New knobs to fit the new potentiometers - $20 - heavy knurled chrome knobs with set screws, I like these very much. They feel great and the set screw is a good reference point for setting the volume and tone.
    • Dealing with issues. The new pickups were seemingly microphonic and noisy. I added padding beneath the neck pickup and the switch and lined all of the cavities with aluminum foil on strips, using adhesive spray. It worked really well and the guitar is very very quiet now!
    Overall, no regrets on the mods, but I wouldn't recommend all of them to everyone. I love the guitar, but I alternate between wanting to replace it and being so attached to it that I could never part with it. I think I'm at the latter for good now, as we have pictures and videos of me playing it with my toddler. If you're a sentimental person and want to keep it forever, go ahead and do heavy mods! If it's a temporary instrument to get you to something else, enjoy it stock while you have it. Mods generally don't improve resale value.

12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats !

The Bullet Tele has been a deal for a while. Good as is and even better with a few simple mods ;)

Hngd !

13. Jimbojimmy

Jimbojimmy Squier Talker

Nov 21, 2021
    London
    Thank you so much for your tips and really useful information!

For the Locking Hipshot tuners, did you had to drill the whole bigger or they fit fine? Did you had to do any mods to the neck?

Do you know which other fender usa tuners will fit this squier bullet? Thanks in advance.

14. longtortoise

Nov 11, 2018
    CA
    The Hipshot tuners fit without any modifications using their 'universal mounting bracket'. I've read that the Fender brand ones require boring out the holes.

Cochise and JurnyWannaBe like this.