Squier bass VI - an unpolished diamond

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by arvidedor, Sep 12, 2020.

1. arvidedor

arvidedor Squier Talker

Sep 9, 2020
    sweden
    FD9CC2A5-ED72-49CE-98D7-09DBD7216670.jpeg 27FE26A7-3408-4810-9AE0-F60576AFC977.jpeg A8FAA35B-D798-400B-A1DB-3A7DBDD3733C.jpeg 08774FD4-100A-4894-AD34-7727162086F1.jpeg 03E7FA94-150C-4E1C-9396-A68D32D4AB36.jpeg Went to visit my brother this summer, of course i checked out his guitars.
    Behind the rest of them I spotted an offset sunburst something, turned out to be a Squier bassVI.
    I was very excited as he hadnt told me about it, so I asked him about it, his response (paraphased):
    ”Piece of **** guitar, it’s yours now”
    He wouldnt accept money for it.
    Turns out he was convinced it was a baryton, he still is. He was very put off by the bad setup and encountering the problems with the bridge and strings.

Ive filés Down some copper pipe pieces to stabilize the bridge, i shimmed the neck pocket with two sheets of copper, changed the strings to fatter/better la Bella ones and set it up myself, now it plays much better.

I also found the high gloss polyurethane finish to look plastic and cheap so I sanded the neck and headstock, along with the body. The latter I also refinished with clear matte.

Enclosed are a couple of pics, i hope they do it justice

BorderRadio, grizmit, so1om and 7 others like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    These are very cool, very capable, very fun instruments after a good set up. His loss, your gain. Happy New (to you) Bass Day!

3. offsetj

offsetj Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you ever want to get silly with it, try stringing it up as a B-b baritone. I set my Bass VI up that way and it slays.

Gabriel Tenorio String company does Bass VI sets just for that purpose. Great dude, great strings.

arvidedor likes this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I had one for a weekend (the same VM one you show here, not the current CV model), and found it very unpolished as well.
    The good:Neck, pickups/switching, and tuners
    The bad: Mushy, poorly cut nut, bridge that has to be turned around, replaced, or as you did... shim the neck to be able to intonate.

All that, and a expensive set of strings to boot put me off if for that big an investment.
    (Even after a CME 20% discount).

For cheaper, or free, I would have put in the time, and work (and done almost exactly what you did).

I still wanted one... eventually, but the price went up, and now the CV is even more ($500!!!).

Instead, earlier this year, I got a Harley Benton Guitar Bass... which was setup perfect with great strings out of the box for $230 to my door from Thomann. I didn’t really want the vibrato anyways, so it’s just what I wanted.
    2A04CD7E-956B-4F7D-BA96-E6D038E3BC9C.jpeg
    It’s also a good 2lbs lighter than the Bass VI I had.

That said... I’d still buy a Bass VI if one fell into my lap for what I paid for this.

5. I had a Squier Bass VI, but couldn't bond with it, at all. Selling it was easy for me especially when I was able to make a $120 profit.
    Cheers, Barrie.

arvidedor, Big tuna and radiotech like this.
  6. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Have not seen the Harley Benton before! Seems like a big improvement with the tune-o-matic style bridge. Now I have GAS for one of these!

radiotech likes this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    you’ll have to wait until the pandemic subsides, shipping from Thomann just more
    Than doubled ($67 per guitar now), it used to be one price for up to three instruments, but now it’s that much for each!

8. Elcheapo

Elcheapo Squier Talker

Jul 5, 2020
    Uk
    Love my squier bass vi. Initially i regretted it and it sat unused for a few years. Eventually shimmed the neck which gave me a better break angle and solved the strange sounds from the fat E, different strings and locked the trem, oiled the fingerboard because it was the driest ive seen so far. Would never get rid now.

arvidedor and radiotech like this.
  9. arvidedor

arvidedor Squier Talker

Sep 9, 2020
    sweden
    Excuse what might be a stupid question, but I had the impression shipping was free as long as your purchase exceeds something like 180gbp

10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I have an early 90s MIJ Bass VI I bought new.

Yeah, it’s a bass tuned E-E, not a baritone.

radiotech likes this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Not to the USA. :(

arvidedor likes this.
  12. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    So lucky you got one. have been trying to locate one in Asia but almost impossible....congratulations!!!!

arvidedor likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Shipping from the US ain't cheap for us either. Luckily, they rarely have anything I'd want to buy. :p

14. 808guitar

808guitar Squier Talker

Apr 23, 2018
    Hawaii
    I wrestled with one for about a year before selling it. I just didn't have the patience/cash to do the upgrades required to make it a usable instrument.

15. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Sweet, nice score on that burst VI! I have a black VM from the first year they ran them (found a tort guard for it). I put Bella Flats on mine and it fixed all the issues I had with it. I am completely out of room on one of the saddles for intonation, but luckily it is just about on the money. Same strings are still on there and in great shape, so it is a worthy investment IMO.

Here is a demo I did using it for Sabotage. That's not really a song you can play on floppy strings, so it gives you an idea about the difference in string tension. Tone is a bit light for this part, but still kind of cool and way fun to play!

Nduro, arvidedor and PangPang like this.
  16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I saw another of your videos on YouTube, where the bass player was playing an offset body bass, and it sounded great. What was that?

PangPang likes this.
  17. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    It was an Ibanez Talman 100. We love the color and the offset retro design. It's got an 2 band EQ and boy, it has gotten some big sound. Very reasonably priced and very good value for the money. My kid complains it has only 20 frets though, and missing one fret to play Bohemian Rhapsody ;-)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    DougMen likes this.
  18. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Just purchased (several weeks ago) from Fender direct a Squier Jazz Bass V and I have to say it is a killer.

bass 060.jpg

bass 063.jpg
    bass 061.jpg
    bass 059.jpg

Nduro, Shine and drewcp like this.
  19. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
  20. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    Love mine. It’s the only bass I need any more.