Squier 70s Vintage Modified (2014): Bridge Upgrade

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by BillyBoyAlfaro, May 2, 2020.

1. BillyBoyAlfaro

BillyBoyAlfaro Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    Costa Rica
    Hi, everyone

Does anybody know whether the 70s Vintage Modified is 2" 1/16 or 2" 3/16?

I will buy the MIM bridge that supposedly fits Squiers with full body size; however, I came across this dilemma.

Please help me out!

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You want 2 and 1/16"

VM51SQ and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  3. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    @BillyBoyAlfaro The Fender tremolo bridge assembly that would fit and has a bigger block is called "0071014049".

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    VM51SQ and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  4. BillyBoyAlfaro

BillyBoyAlfaro Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    Costa Rica
    That is indeed the MIM. With 2" 1/16 right?

5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes. The only difference between it and yours should be the block and afaik, you can buy that separately. Unless something has changed on the VM's and they don't use a Fender Bridge anymore. You could even buy a steel block instead of the MIM bridge that comes with a zinc block.

Here's just the block, for example

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...uo62qoKwGSmjpwQWidiYWsxSuQH1Ux3MaAthXEALw_wcB

Does your bridge have the saddles that have 'FENDER' embossed in them, like below?

51x1UuUD43L._AC_SY400_.jpg

If so, @Guitarmageddon wasn't pulling your leg when he told you it wouldn't make a difference. The only change would be a big block. The bridge itself is exactly the same as what you have. Or it should be. There's no reason to waste money on something you already have. If you just need the block, buy the block.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    VM51SQ likes this.
  6. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    I can't agree with Wound Up's post above.

The VM bridge unit is inferior to the MIM unit in many ways.

The VM bridge plate has the 6 holes for the body screws going through both the bevelled bottom edge and the 'flat' of the bottom too... in the MIM the entirety of each hole stays within the bevelled edge as it should.

The VM saddles whilst stamped 'Fender' are often too wide for the bridge plate which means you often get issues with string alignment which aren't solved until the saddles are changed.

The material used in the MIM whilst not on a par with cold rolled steel in AVRIs etc is certainly a huge step up from the pot metal used in the Squire... that's bridge, block, saddles and screws.

In short for the odd $25 get the full MIM unit and drop it right in. It's what Fender themselves sent me as replacement when I complained to them very nicely that the saddles on my brand new VM70 and their otherwise great instrument were too wide.

7. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France