Some Electrical Wire Questions

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Angry Possum, Sep 14, 2020.

1. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I don't think it will hurt anything, at least probably not. So why not try? It's only more money, time, and aggravation. <grin>

I suppose you could use Litz wire if you were really serious.

Video is much higher frequency, and external sound cards are amplified so you are talking about something entirely different for those.

2. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    I know the differences I am talking about, I also know I 'm new in the electric guitars too, but people in the field shield the control cavity.. I wouldn't say it's a myth, but that the problem might be from outside, like too close to the amp or something, but we come back where we started again. So control cavity shielding is sn excess

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    jefffam, Caddy and Angry Possum like this.
  3. SubSailer671

Single coil pickups are notorious for picking up 60 cycle RF, resulting in a hum. Shielding the cavity and the bottom of a pickguard helps quite a bit. Note that the shielding does not usually cover the pickup (although some pickups have metal covers).

The shielding is for the pickup, not the wiring. Relatively speaking, the pickup wire length is many times that of the internal wiring length.

4. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    Don't make me feel like a dumb, I just wanna make it out and I like your talking but I was clearly talking about the control cavity , fixed that in my last sentence too to make it clearer. Nobody shields just the pickup cavity and the pickguard, they go till pot cavity. If you think that is an excess I am pretty ok with that

5. SubSailer671

@nmagi
    I'm not trying to make you feel dumb, and I apologize if I come off that way. I was following the thread from your first post:
    Control cavity shielding in Stratocasters is to shield the coils, not the hookup wires. The control wires are relatively short compared to the pickup coils.

I do not see a need to shield the control cavity in a telecaster for instance. The pickup cavity yes, but shielding the pots, wire, and switch is likely overkill.

6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    This is true, no need to shield the control cavity.

jefffam and Caddy like this.
  7. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I only use new old stock push back cloth covered wire. It provides great vintage tone.

just kidding

jefffam likes this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think maybe some of the misunderstanding happening is because a lot of strat pickguards come with shielding only in the controls area, and not the full underside of the pick guard.

jefffam, nmagi and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    ^^ That
    Is true and confusing, also many guitars come with shielded wires, even my Bullet has shielded wire, seen much more expensive guitars though with plain multistrand wires, cloth or plastic/pvc insulated, whatever, we 've also seen guitars with conductive shielding paint hardly providing any contact, if at all e.t.c. Got a pickguard with a control shield like the original too, seller in a note saying it was for switch/pots grounding , so much for the ground cables or to the ground end then i guess
    I guess someone has to take note of all those measures when dealing with noise in his space and seems there's a lot of "economy" in guitar industry even in smallest things,which makes sense, when there are just a few of those things to deal with. Even on aluminum foil on the pickguards or .50 to a 1 $ per meter of wire but that is more frustrating than sticking the foil or soldering the wire shield
    SubSailer provided some good info anyway to make things clearer for our mind and souls :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    jefffam, JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.
  10. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier Talker

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I also just discovered a new love for solid cloth 22AWG wire. My question, can I splice 22AWG solid core to my Wilkinson pu's to make the leads longer? I let my local mom-pop tech do some work a while back and he cut the wires to the exact length and now I'm changing out some stuff and the leads are too short. I don't have stranded wire and don't like it anyway. If I felt sure of myself I'd rewire the pu's with solid cloth wire but there's all those little wires that could break.

I was thinking splicing a good amount from the leads, do a good wrap job around the cloth wire, solder it and cover it all with heat shield. But like everything with guitars there's 658,456 different answers to a simple question and none of them agree..lol

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Sure you can. I don’t know if I would though. Not sure if you could get a good mechanical connection before you do the soldering without it being a big bulge in the middle of the wire. I also like the flexibility of the stranded wire on the pickups. They just seem to get moved around more than pots and switches when you are working on stuff. But electronically, there would be nothing wrong with it, so if that’s how you want to do it, go for it! :)

jefffam and Year Zero like this.
  12. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier Talker

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks dbrian. Gives me food for thought. I must have some stranded around here. Don't need but about 3-4" per lead then use the cloth for the rest!. Thanks!

jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  13. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    I just bought some 22aw cloth wire from Tone works through guitar center. I Tried to find some reasonable bulk to have for some time but settled so I can get closer on the SE..

Yes, The Rodiebob Kenobi Lives!! Be around shortly!

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    I just bought similar stuff on Amazon, 22awg, stranded, six colors.

As mentioned, the wire itself won't affect your tone.

I like the flexibility of stranded wire when I go to move wires, or seal up the cavity. I like the rigidity of solid wire when soldering.

Tip: In a pinch, you can salvage the individual wires from an ethernet cable. Most are between 22 and 24 awg.

Tip 2: Get some heat shrink tubing while you're at it. Working on a Strat yesterday, the pickup leads were too short and I needed to butt splice additional lengths to the ends. It is far cheaper online. However, you'll probably end up with a 600pc kit that you'll pass on to your grandkids.

15. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Ok this right here is a smokin deal. From mojotones garage sale ebay site. Only see yellow. No black. But $12.99 100' roll. Who can't use one of these!!! Screenshot_20201027-092919.png

16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Can you post the actual link?

17. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Ill see of it can do that
    Gimme a sec

18. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    This is diagram how Knob_and_tube_1930.jpg I wire my guitars.

19. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    From what I've seen (retired telco) is that when solid core wire breaks it is usually from using too much pressure to strip the insulation off causing a nick that a few wiggles will break.

Never tried knob & tubing to wire up a guitar.....shrink tubing is a must though.

Angry Possum and jefffam like this.