Some Electrical Wire Questions

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Angry Possum, Sep 14, 2020.

1. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I don't think it will hurt anything, at least probably not. So why not try? It's only more money, time, and aggravation. <grin>

I suppose you could use Litz wire if you were really serious.

Video is much higher frequency, and external sound cards are amplified so you are talking about something entirely different for those.

drewcp, JurnyWannaBe and Angry Possum like this.
  2. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    I know the differences I am talking about, I also know I 'm new in the electric guitars too, but people in the field shield the control cavity.. I wouldn't say it's a myth, but that the problem might be from outside, like too close to the amp or something, but we come back where we started again. So control cavity shielding is sn excess

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Angry Possum likes this.
  3. SubSailer671

Single coil pickups are notorious for picking up 60 cycle RF, resulting in a hum. Shielding the cavity and the bottom of a pickguard helps quite a bit. Note that the shielding does not usually cover the pickup (although some pickups have metal covers).

The shielding is for the pickup, not the wiring. Relatively speaking, the pickup wire length is many times that of the internal wiring length.

drewcp, JurnyWannaBe and Angry Possum like this.
  4. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    Don't make me feel like a dumb, I just wanna make it out and I like your talking but I was clearly talking about the control cavity , fixed that in my last sentence too to make it clearer. Nobody shields just the pickup cavity and the pickguard, they go till pot cavity. If you think that is an excess I am pretty ok with that

Angry Possum and SubSailer671 like this.
  5. SubSailer671

@nmagi
    I'm not trying to make you feel dumb, and I apologize if I come off that way. I was following the thread from your first post:
    Control cavity shielding in Stratocasters is to shield the coils, not the hookup wires. The control wires are relatively short compared to the pickup coils.

I do not see a need to shield the control cavity in a telecaster for instance. The pickup cavity yes, but shielding the pots, wire, and switch is likely overkill.

JurnyWannaBe, Angry Possum and nmagi like this.
  6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    This is true, no need to shield the control cavity.

7. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    I only use new old stock push back cloth covered wire. It provides great vintage tone.

just kidding

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think maybe some of the misunderstanding happening is because a lot of strat pickguards come with shielding only in the controls area, and not the full underside of the pick guard.

nmagi and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    ^^ That
    Is true and confusing, also many guitars come with shielded wires, even my Bullet has shielded wire, seen much more expensive guitars though with plain multistrand wires, cloth or plastic/pvc insulated, whatever, we 've also seen guitars with conductive shielding paint hardly providing any contact, if at all e.t.c. Got a pickguard with a control shield like the original too, seller in a note saying it was for switch/pots grounding , so much for the ground cables or to the ground end then i guess
    I guess someone has to take note of all those measures when dealing with noise in his space and seems there's a lot of "economy" in guitar industry even in smallest things,which makes sense, when there are just a few of those things to deal with. Even on aluminum foil on the pickguards or .50 to a 1 $ per meter of wire but that is more frustrating than sticking the foil or soldering the wire shield
    SubSailer provided some good info anyway to make things clearer for our mind and souls :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    JurnyWannaBe and drewcp like this.