Some Electrical Wire Questions

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Angry Possum, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I finally ran out of electrical wire that I use for my guitar builds, now I need to order some. I will be using it for grounding to pots, pickups and positive leads etc. for guitar circuitry soldering.

1st. Question. Can I use a solid wire, or does it have to be stranded?
    2nd Question. What wire would I have to order. Gauge etc.

Thanks

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

Electrically speaking, the voltages and currents in a guitar are so small that you can use any wire. Literally almost anything, so long as it is copper and has a jacket and won't short to to other wires.

Ease of use, soldering, aesthetic appearance, and staying vintage true is another topic. None of which effect the sound or electrical conductivity in your guitar.

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have grown very fond of using solid core, cloth covered wire. Very easy to work with. But like @SubSailer671 said, anything will work.

4. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  5. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Thanks for all your much appreciated responses.

Vince

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  6. brodg68

brodg68 Squier-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    Only warning on solid core is it is more prone to breaking as it gets moved a time or two than stranded. Anything I would be taking in or out or pushing down into a cavity - stranded all the way.

7. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
  8. SubSailer671

9. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

When I ran a jumper wire for neck tone pot to control the bridge, I just used a piece of wire ripped from an old broken Sony Discman...works fine, couldn’t tell you anything specific, but works fine

10. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I actually still use my discmans and walkmans. I'm dead serious. They work great with the newer technology head-phones. I use beats with them, sound amazing, awesome highs and lows. Old school, am I.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I agree with @fuelish. Electrically, a guitar cannot tell the difference between solid core/cloth covered and stranded/PVC wire of the same gauge. Many say solid is easier to work with, I find it slightly more difficult. I've used it but prefer stranded. I don't buy wire. Dead desktop computer case power supplies have a ton of wire, that stretches to all the various components (especially large server cases power supplies). I found a computer repair guy ( a old time member here), who had a box full of dead power supplies. He clips the wire off a couple, sends it to me (I pay all shipping) and I've got enough wire to do a dozen or more guitars, only utilizing the thicker gauges. Everyone is different, but I find the recovered/repurposed stranded PVC wire works great and it keeps a little bit out of the land fill. (Probably not enough to matter in the grand scheme, especially considering smaller gauge wire bit removed; but a little.)

12. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Funny, interestingly, coincidentally, whatever term ya wanna use, just the other I was eyeing an old half disassembled old school desktop (like Windows 95 era), looking at all those wires, thinking to myself, "Hmmm, I might need to use them some day..." LOL....much like half the old stuff cluttering my garage and basement... never know when or what ya may scavange from it. :)

JurnyWannaBe and jefffam like this.
  13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    You know exactly when you will need accumulated 'stuff', for parts and/or repair...within a week after you finally clean things up and discard it. EVERY TIME, LOL.:(:confused::eek::rolleyes:

glmino, fuelish and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  14. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I do small electrical jobs for side money. A lot of times it involves changing old fluorescent ballasts. It's solid wire, small gauge (18 AWG), and comes in various colors. So far, it's worked quite well for me :)

drewcp likes this.
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Excellant re-use. Cool.:cool:

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  16. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Great idea, if I come across electronics being tossed out, I'll do the same.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  17. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    Wouldn't signal wires be better off shielded ?

mister2 and Angry Possum like this.
  18. SubSailer671

To some point, yes. But shielding does have parasitic effects on an AC signal (like audio), and there isn't much signal to begin with on a guitar--that's why we amplify them after all. Also, the wire in the pickups are not shielded as that would defeat the purpose. The length of wire in the pickup coils are much, much longer than the short wires between them and the electronics.

I don't think using shielded wire would make any perceptible difference, and if it did it would probably be in the wrong direction.

drewcp, Angry Possum, jefffam and 2 others like this.
  19. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    Yes, I know, but the "bare" wires can also act as parallel capacitance and then affecting both ways. Anyway that the signal is too low you mention is the measure to first consider I guess but why settle ? :) Isn't my thinking correct? I 've been burnt with visual cables and grounding of a pretty expensive STB, the only way to make it work was a 60$ 1,5m cable, then had some trouble with my external sound card too, fixed that with aluminum foil on the casing, so I guess I may be pretty sensitive with grounding and shielding long time ago

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Angry Possum and JurnyWannaBe like this.