So, with guitars like F/A's....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jamesgpobog, Oct 21, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I'm not sure what to think.

Certainly with high end vintage guitars you generally don't mess with them. On the other hand you have things like Danelectro and Teisco that were not well thought of in their time, but now are sought after collectors items.

Right now, I actually have more F/A's than anything else, and I am getting them very cheap, they are undervalued. I think good, undervalued guitars could be platforms for mods, paint, pup swaps, all sorts of stuff.

So where is the line between fun and wisdom? Is it all just a crapshoot?

2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    To me ,if it's not fun ,then fooey on it ! ;)

3. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Rollmeaway, jamesgpobog and dbrian66 like this.
  4. ManFromMars

ManFromMars Squier Talker

Jul 8, 2020
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I'm curious to see where the value of rosewood fingerboards land in 30 or so years. With more restrictions and builders moving away from using RW, I can see the value of even low end FAs rising simply because of the neck, especially if it's easily swapped to another body.

Then again, who knows. We're ~50 years out from Danelectros and Tiesco's. I may not even be around in 2070 to find out.

Rollmeaway, drewcp and wildelectric like this.
  5. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I have not verified it, but I have read in a couple places that the neck pockets are to Fender specs.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  6. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

I confirmed about the neck pocket width in a recent thread, but here is the pic again. The neck is off a FA Overtone.

IMG_20201004_120913401.jpg

Rollmeaway, jamesgpobog and drewcp like this.
  7. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yea me and you talked about this a bit. I have two Smokey Grey Overtones. One, I set up real nice and its actually a good players guitar. Both have the trems decked and blocked. The other is set up real high to use like a lap slide, if I get around to practicing how to play slide before I meet my maker.

I can say that I put a Strat neck in the pocket and it was routed with Fender specs.

Why they stopped building guitars is a mystery to me. I think there is a thread on the Sister site Telecaster Discussion Page that has a guy who was one of the luthiers on the high end First Act guitars. He shares a lot of info about their last days. They made some really high end guitars costing well into four figures. I think the name did them in.

jamesgpobog and Michael7 like this.