So I got fed up with living in high density apartments

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by brians, Jun 1, 2021.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Why not plan on giving them a lovely place to vacation? :)

Families and communities have different dynamics. My own first settled in Brooklyn where my grandparents and their siblings eventually bought a home. Two of their four children half stayed n Brooklyn, two moved out to Long Island. My generation went further afield -- both of my sisters and I getting away from anything the even felt "New York."

But only in our later years did we all seek out what was truly "us." My older sister -- the family's real free spirit -- settled in coastal California (Santa Cruz), my younger sister in Colorado, and I of course, in a rural 'art town' in New Hampshire.

My son and his wife fly, so distance really doesn't mean that much. But when my son was young, and pennies dear, our being able to vacation in southern Florida where my parents retired was a super boon to us!

But that's America today. The old way of staying close to family may be better.

If so, well pray that your kids grow up to have good taste! And "means." :D

-don

2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    The tricky thing about NYC is that salaries tend to be higher here. If I were teaching elsewhere, I'd probably be making half of what I make now.

Then again, I'd also probably be paying half of what I'm paying in mortgage ... and probably far less than half in RE and state
    taxes. So the end result may actually be the same.

Though, I hear both NH and Delaware are low tax states that are very attractive to retirees. You never know ... maybe you'll have a fellow Squier Talker as a neighbor in a bit. :)

3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Congratulations @brians That sounds pretty awesome but one aspect would concern me...

My friends in and from South Africa tell me about all kinds of critters running around the open spaces and they make our Northern New Jersey rabbits, turkey, deer and even black bear seem like house pets. Is that something that you need to be aware of where you are?

I went through the same type of thing but as an adolescent. I was bummed when our dad moved us out of Brooklyn and into suburbia. Not cool. Now I'm glad. I have grown fond of peace and quiet and it really is at a premium around here. We don't want to move out but, as we get older, it may be hard not to take the money and run. Where to though? If everyone wants to live here, why should we move further from a cosmopolitan center like Manhattan? We'll see. If we do move it will be because of the taxes.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Congrats buddy, welcome to the country club ! :)

5. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Now you need a Peavey Bandit to use as a practice amp!
    I have always lived rural, but now this area is being consumed by the endless subdivisions of suburbia, and I am looking 50 to 60 miles further out.

dbrian66, brians and Caddy like this.
  6. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Hey Uncle Joe, no, as I said earlier in the thread, we are not by a long way , that far rural.
    One would have to be extremely organized ( and very wealthy) to live in the heart of the bush where wildlife encounters would pose a real threat, and those areas are now mostly controlled as private or national parks.

We still have to be very security conscious, as often the two legged species are more dangerous than the four legged ones here.

7. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thanks Robb , not sure I quite qualify for the country club status, but I'm no longer surrounded by concrete, and that's a start.

8. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Yes, this is a reality everywhere, the insatiable need for housing and business is much greater than the good available practical real estate, and "so called progress " marches at a very fast pace. So a window of maybe 5 to 10 years is open now, but that can change in the blink of some major corporate eye deciding to develope wherever you are here. Also bearing in mind, mining is our major industry, and the mining companies can invade an area almost overnight should they discover a reason to. Mining "cities" come with massive people problems ,so one cannot really predict how the land will lie in the next years, but that's the chance one has to take.

What we are doing is a reversible process , should that ever be a reality.
    Not that I would go back to the high density lifestyle, but rather move again to a similar type of area. But yes , wherever you go that is a real risk, and no way to control it without mega mega money

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    That's good to know, as I was wondering the same as Uncle Joe.

The one thing that disappointed me when I visited SA (for work) was that I didn't have enough time to visit a national park. But I did the next best thing, I ate springbok and ostrich. :)

Robb, Uncle Joe and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I'm contemplating similar things, but less extreme.

At the end of this year I will likely be moving house. I'm currently living in a lower-end part of the city about 40km from where I work. For the same amount of rent I currently pay, I could move to a place less than 1km from my workplace.

But...

This would mean apartment living.

At present, I am only me and a cat, but I love having space in my house, and like to compartmentalize things. I like having a 3 bedroom house with 1 bedroom, 1 leisure room featuring my PC and instruments, and 1 study room with my library and work space. Not to mention having a garage and a yard.

If I move close to work, I get a 2 bedroom apartment with a parking space.

Personally for me, the house I live in is more important than the area, as I'm mostly a homebody anyway, so I will likely stay in the same area but seek a nicer house.

A few years ago I was going to move 'to the mountains', take a year off, and do nothing but write. Decided against it, as it wasn't worth my sanity.

But someday, I will.

brians likes this.
  11. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    If I were you, but I'm not and it depends on many personal factors, space is king to me, I never want to go back to " practicality, but I can't swing a cat " no reference to your cat lol, but all of us are different and circumstances often dictate what is the best option for us.

fattboyzz likes this.
  12. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Pics of the mini forest please?

13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Nut

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the move. I can imagine how much better you like it.
    We live on seven acres out in the country and love it. Enjoy you're new space.

duceditor and -r3- like this.
  14. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Space.

Space.

Space.

Space.

It's not that I don't like people. I do! As occasional invited guests.

But the uninvited? The every present?

Nope. Not I.

Just Jan and me. That's it. For days and days at a time. Sometimes even for weeks.

Okay. Sometimes I do have the joy of smiling at the UPS or FedEx men. And giving them a wave. :)

Yup! Lost in the woods.

-don

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 9.11.32 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Did you get settled in and enjoying your new place ?

grizzlewulf likes this.
  16. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Don, truly you are living the dream right there.

duceditor likes this.
  17. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Well, our dream anyhow. Some people prefer bustle, unceasing sound, and lights.
    “Know thyself” said the philosopher. (And such can take years to do.)
    “Then go for it!” Says I. ;)

-don

fattboyzz likes this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Im a country living kinda guy. Yalls place would be heaven ;)

duceditor likes this.