So I got fed up with living in high density apartments

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by brians, Jun 1, 2021.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thanks Davis

dbrian66, Robb and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I'll get there soon.

Idyllic is a big word for this little cottage :)

3. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thanks Loin lover, I love your humour in the joke thread

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Robb like this.
  4. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thank you Don

5. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thanks Strat

6. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    There will be some sacrifices but hopefully it will be worth it.
    I just got so fed up with neighbors all around me in that environment, of course there can be advantages but more often than not they are problematic.
    And it seems that the last 18 months has brought out an understandable anger in people, and that was upsetting to be around a lot.

7. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thanks Grizzle

8. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It sounds a lot more idyllic than my tiny one room apartment in a high-rise in downtown Honolulu

9. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Awesome, yes post some photos, that would be cool. Good Luck to you both. Do an American Indian Sage on the house. It's good to do it on any new house, that one moves in to.

10. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I sense peace and contentment. You've found what eludes most all of what the human race seeks. Congrats.

11. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I will find out what that is thanks

12. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Nice thoughts, thank you, but trials and tribulations continue

13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Urban living --and even heavily populated suburbs and condos -- can have real advantages. But historically such have been based on finding a community that either shares ones values or, at least, is willing to let you alone. -On the greater availability of work. -On the availability of cultural and learning opportunities. And all of this has, at least for a great many, a stronger appeal in their younger years than later in their lives.

In other words one can prefer 'condensed' living circumstances for quite a number of good reasons.

But many have observed that even this paradigm is shifting. This as shared values and even the willingness to leave others alone are largely disappearing; as work opportunities become less 'place' dependent, as as the cultural (and even educational) advantages of the more population condensed areas appear to be shrinking.

"Nature" provides other opportunities that many -- even urbanites, who are often surprised to discover this -- find more enriching than anything man can create.

What I find encouraging and joyful is seeing people's personal dreams come true. And to see their willingness to 'chance' change. That takes some courage.

Kudos brians! May it work out as well for you as it has for us! :)

-don

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Best move you could ever do. We've been in the middle of the forest for the past 24 years and can't even imagine living in the city anymore.

15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Good for you @brians . I'm planning a similar move in a few years.

16. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Sounds like a cool move..... We have "some of each" with our house....we live in a smaller modernizing city, our sub is maybe 30 yrs old-ish but everyone keeps their properties up. We live on a cul de sac - have close to an acre...when we go out on our back porch, neighbors on either side can't be seen, the houses up the hill to one side are blocked by bushes/trees, and our backyard borders a 300 acre farm, mountain view behind that...our back porch is our sanctuary - our Zen room....we have a birdbath and several feeders, we get everything from hummingbirds to an occasional hawk, had a 3 ft black snake climbing the tree net to the stairs the other day, got cows on the farm, occasional wild turkey, occasional coyotes......so, yeah we live on the city limits, drive up to our house - head out the back door and it's like a different world - and my closest neighbor doesn't mind hearing me play guitar. And we have a wireless electric fence so we can just let the dogs out and they roam the yard until they want to come in. Other than deciding if I want to officially retire or work another few years, life is pretty darned great....kids are grown and on their own....haven't lived in an apartment for 30 years, dunno if I ever could again

SOOOOooo, to make a long story short, congrats on getting out and into a house where you can do your own thing :cool:

17. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Fascinating thread!!

I like both for the obvious reasons country and city dwellers cite.

I could never choose one lifestyle for life.

I was almost the only person of color growing up in a small rural town of 4,000 (now 1,200).

I never felt like I fit but to this day my musical tastes reflect this culture. I am in a small coastal California city akin to a Malibu, only a hundred times smaller. We rent a police and fire department and we don’t have a Starbuck’s, McDonald’s, or CVS and the richest man in town got sued out of existence by no growthers and the man was only trying to give our town a much needed CVS Express pharmacy with fewer than ten employees.

But getting into rock guitar at an early age, I longed to go to an LA, NY, or London. I wanted everything bustling and fast to enter my veins and come out into my fingers. My musical heroes from Kiss to the Sex Pistols to the Doors all exhibited the “city” and it was where all the records were made. When you’re in a small town you get idiots bragging about learning a barre chord F. Excellence is not encouraged.

If I want to see any given top 40 act I can see them in a club in a major city. If I want to see sports, in the rural area I am in I can watch the local fishermen play softball but in the big city I can watch Curry and Thompson shoot 3s from every corner and Green stuff centers like they’re rookies. If I feel like opera the best I could do in my small town is see Domingo on public TV, but in the big city, he runs the opera house. In a rural town I could sit in a cafe and browse Guitar Center but in the but city I can see said gear in person.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  18. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    All cities are garbage places to live imo and you'd have to be nuts to live in a town with more than 10k people. Congratulations. Now you just have to figure out how to keep all the other city dwellers out so they dont ruin everything like they are doing to South Carolina.

19. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    So well said!

I truly believe it’s so often age related.

dbrian66 and brians like this.
  20. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've lived almost my entire life in NYC. I often wonder why I'm still here. But for now, I'm rooted here ... with property and family. I'm on the Queens/Nassau border, so it's one of the few less congested areas in NYC.

While it sounds silly, one of my pet peeves is the inability to travel on a whim. Traffic dictates my movements. Tolls are also a big part of inhibiting travel.

One of the biggest attractions of living in NYC was the plethora of ethnic foods available to us. But NYC no longer holds the monopoly on ethnic cuisine. I've been able to get great ethnic and diverse foods in almost every place I've visited in the USA.

So I have about 12-13 years until retirement. I guess it depends on where the kids settle down ... will dictate where my wife and I retire to. But we intend on doing lots of traveling. :)