So I got fed up with living in high density apartments

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by brians, Jun 1, 2021.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    After this whole on going lock down situation , for close to 2 years now, my loved one and I decided to find another way to live, and gave up our cluster apartment.
    After much searching and agony , we found a stand alone small bungalow type house in a mini forest just outside the city we are used to.

It's really pretty basic, has two good bedrooms,great kitchen,two bathrooms and a great but small living area but awesome grounds with big trees and lots of bird life. It really is a little cottage in a mini forest.

No immediate neighbors, there are folks on the estate but not that one would know.

I reckon it's about 40 or so years old and looks like it hasn't been attended to for 10 years at least.

Compared to where we were , this is almost like a different world, my dogs think they are in heaven ,
    and it makes me so happy to see them run as opposed to being restricted in the cluster,
    I had 3 Scotties and a rescue and my daughters Peke, but we lost our champ Scottie in December to cancer and I am sad he didn't make it to see this.

So, the place is going to take a lot of work to sort out but I am stoked to do it.
    Can play my guitar as loud as I want, run with the dogs, cook outside and grow things,vegetables and herbitals.

It's a big change for us from a modern type cluster to this, but after two nights now I'm feeling up to it and I'm waking up full of energy and ideas.

It's quite rustic but has everything we need but as complex dwellers for 30 years or so , it is a dramatic change.

I think we just got to a point that we had to change our daily lives which had become frustrating and boring and do something different.

It's not an "off the grid thing" but it's so far removed from the lifestyle we we living, and I think after 30 years of marriage we are strong enough to do this.

I'm digging the thought of having gigs in the gardens ( well they aren't gardens yet, more like weedy mud areas, but we'll get there)

My guitar playing will have to be reduced somewhat whilst I tame the grounds but I will use my acoustic more than before.

Some of our family and friends think we are mad ( and there is justification for that ) but man I needed to get out of that concrete environment, it was getting to me.

So I will post pic and stuff as we go along , but I already have one room that I will set up as a jam room and volume is not going to be an issue.

So we've been here a few nights , and it's getting better all the time , got a lot to figure out .

2. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Congrats! Having lived in a high rise concrete jungle and miles from the nearest traffic light I have empathy for those who cannot see nature daily the way you have described. Enjoy.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just SO thrilled for you!!!

My wife and I were at about the same point in our lives when we, now about twenty years ago, took a similar step. -A step that we’d slowly and diligently planned for and made calculated sacrifices for. And our hone, too, required much work. (the now glorious porch was then held up by supports and the “floor”was then consisted of oddly placed sheets of plywood.)

Worth it? Oh yeah!!!

Enjoy!

-don

4. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Nothing crazy about what you're doing @brians enjoy!

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Congratulations. We're planning a similar move, which will likely happen sometime next year. We won't go full-on rural like you, but we want to GTFO of the city. It's gone mad.

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a little touch of heaven. Congrats....

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

It does sound really great ! !

9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Nothing better than having your own space!

Conga-rats!

10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Sounds like a great move.

Apartment? Condo? Townhouse? Not sure how anyone can live that way. Never have in my 73+ years and never will. Same goes for big cities or even suburbs of big cities. A big city would be pure torture for me. Don’t even want to visit them.

11. SoCalJim

SoCalJim Squier-Nut

Nov 12, 2020
    SoCal
    My wife & I spent a decade in a downtown, mid-rise condo before moving into our current single family house in the exburbs. It took us a while to get used to the condo life, and we never fully embraced it. But our commutes to work were either on foot or on a bike. Now that we don’t have a work commute (retired!), the need to live in the heart of a city was gone...and so were we!

12. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Noice.. Something about living in a rural environment that stirs the soul. Nice that you can make changes without the city inspector showing up to give you a not here sandwhich! Lol..

Glad to hear you getting some of that kind of therapy. Tight wires!

13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Sounds like a good move! The closest I’ve ever had to an apartment was my barracks in the army, and that was enough to insist I always have a yard from then on out.

14. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Id be more excited, unfortunately my sig other and I are moving from small town East Texas back to The borderlands of Dallas County.. Only good thing is the new mothership backs up to my original home lake. I THINK ILL POINT MY GUITAR THAT DIRECTION! Steps into space and falls two feet off the soapbox..

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Any new pets stop by yet ?

I know you live in South Africa ,so what about the wildlife ? ;)

16. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    No pics of this idyllic place?

17. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Congrats mate. All the best to you and your Mrs in the new house.

18. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    No we not in the full on bush, it's not that rural, we still quite close to the city. If one wants to live in the real bush in SA it is extremely expensive , only the VERY wealthy can afford it.
    Unfortunately tourism has mapped out that segment and it's difficult to find affordable , safe, open space, with the emphasis on safe.

19. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Thanks man

20. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    It's not full on rural , but a big enough change from high density living.
    For us being surrounded by trees and few neighbors is a big change.