Small practice amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by TheBoss72, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    Actually I have one of those and it's a great choice. A little more money than the others, but not much. I got mine used for under $100.

Ted Spikey, JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  2. yoga

yoga Squier-Meister

Nov 7, 2021
    uk
    I have a Fender Champion 20 , great home amp & lots of options , the cleans are sublime & she can get very dirty .

3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    And I happen to love the Behringer V-amp... It's loud, and it's got several different clean amp models... Which is what I mainly used it for... But there's TONS of amp models... I refer to it as the poor man's Katana, lol...

4. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    Vox Valvetronix Amps and Boss Katana Amps are the best i`ve played for their price....price increases the more volume you require but the quality of sound and features for both is consistent.

5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I have a Katana 50 too, but I don't consider it to be a practice amp, it's just an amp.

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I feel the same way. My Katana is not what I would consider a practice amp.

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    But is that an amp ? I thought it was essentially a multi-effects modeling pedal so you would still need a separate amp.

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. Ted Spikey

Ted Spikey Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2021
    UK
    Wow, serious stuff.

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  9. EssCee

EssCee Squier-Meister

Oct 4, 2021
    Barcelona
    Line 6 Spider

I've just started, and on a limited budget cos I'm financially illiterate, and I found a Line 6 15w amp over here for 10€.
    When I got it I realised it was the bass amp version (LowDown LD15), but I like it. Nearly killed it with the worst soldering job, but it survived.
    I'm currently looking at a Spider IV 15w, and it reviews quite well, for a small modelling amp.
    Go 30w or above, and they come with a footswitch to change between the modes (clean, overdrive, metal, insane).

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    That's funny in a way. You read my post about how I hate my Line 6 15 w amp. If you were close to me I'd probably give it to you as it's just collecting sonic dust. Maybe the IV is better but I t hought the III was unusable at just about any volume and at any setting.

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  11. EssCee

EssCee Squier-Meister

Oct 4, 2021
    Barcelona
    I gotta admit, I missed your post about Line 6 - and I looked for mentions of it. But, well, 2 am, wine, etc.
    Remember, it's my FIRST amp. I was impressed, especially for 10€, and I still like it.

And I'd offer to pay shipping, If I didn't already know how much the damn thing weighs.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-holic

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    My daughter picked up a Sundown 15R amp up at a garage sale for $20.00 looks brand new 15 watts with reverb and she gave it to me. I put on my bench because it’s small and use it to plug into when I am working on guitars, it also has a dirty channel. For a small amp don’t sound to bad it has a place to plug in ear phones you can get them new for $49.00 are cheaper I have had for a year now and it seems to be okay. 548B04EF-2D8A-4E2A-B5FB-B400692E790E.jpeg

dbrian66 and fattboyzz like this.
  13. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Don'tcha ever practice with a full band? (I kid, I kid)

I mean, I have a couple 5W Epi Valve Jr Combo's, 3 or 4 10W SS 8-10" speaker real practice amps, and one of those little AC2 RythmVox guys, but practicing at home with the Katana on half-watt is just a much more versatile amp and much more enjoyable experience for me while I sit on the couch, swap pedals in and out of the chain, and work out riffs while I watch TV.

dbrian66, BeepBoop and gary mitchell like this.
  14. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Edit: Also, at like, what 24 lbs? Carrying a Katana 50 feels much more akin to carrying one of my 90s 10W practice amp than it is to carrying my 50-60lbs Peavey VT Classic 2 x 12 or one of my Crate Vintage Club 30s, lol

dbrian66, BeepBoop and gary mitchell like this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    The Vox G3 mini is a gr8 lil practice amp.
    It will run 10 hours on 6 AA batteries too.

71MvVFrYJaL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Cochise and gary mitchell like this.
  16. Doc538

Doc538 Squier-Meister

Jan 23, 2021
    Ma
    I also vote for the Fender LT-25. Inexpensive with tons of built-in sounds and settings, and you can use fuse and other computer controls with it. However, I only use clean and a light gain setting… Although I wonder about the Spark as it can play with you, sometimes I get tired playing with myself :eek:

17. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Obsessed With Music & Guitars Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I like the Fender 25R Frontman. It's a really loud amp. Also the Spark 40, and the Mono-Price 15w tube amp.

18. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I do love my Katana. It’s a 100, but it also has the low watt settings, and I think the cabinet is about the same size as the 50. But in my minds eye, a practice amp is small. Something you just throw on the coffee table and jam.

As long as it gets you practicing, I guess it’s a practice amp! :)

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.
  19. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Fender Vibro Champ XD .

Cochise and Caddy like this.
  20. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    These are are the type of threads I just never really understand, and they are frequent. Looking for a practice amp or a bedroom amp. Doesn’t often seem to be about portability or weight (which shouldn’t matter anyway since it is staying home.

I have a Fender Mustang GTX50 which is 50 SS watts. Works just fine for me at home. I almost always have it at a lower volume than my acoustics are. I play watching TV and have no problem hearing the dialog on the TV and sounds fine to me. Wouldn’t matter if it were the 100 watt version. They do have volume pots. Easy enough to turn down. Seems any amp should be able to be used as a practice or bedroom amp.

SquierTap and miket1117 like this.