Small practice amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by TheBoss72, Jan 14, 2022.

1. TheBoss72

TheBoss72 Squier Talker

Jan 4, 2022
    Ohio
    Asking the experts on here. I will be buying a used practice amp. Looking for something that offers "clarity" on clean tones for good practice feedback and some gain/tonal settings to keep it interesting. Volume is not important. Any good bang for the buck combos you'd recommend? I've been considering the Behringer GM108, Fender Champion 20 and Fender Mustang 1 v2 but have really no idea as the selection is overwhelming.

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have a Roland Micro-Cube that I really like. And I also have a new Spark40 on the UPS truck that should be delivered today. I’ll let you know next week what I think about that one! :)

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John

Nov 24, 2018
    In the shop building RCs.
    I second the Roland Micro Cube.

4. ReeseD

ReeseD Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    I bought a B stock Spark and it's pretty awesome. I was between that and the Boss Katana (I know, very different options) but found the deal on the Spark.

5. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm looking at a Yamaha THR10x.

It chugs !!!

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    The Micro Cube will chug as well!

7. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Nut

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Anything with software runs the risk of not being supported or updated. I would not get something I have to rely on it having a associated app or website. I’ve had all my amps for 20 years and while I’ve played through others nothing excites me as a must have. I make my amp a practice amp by using the volume knob.

Angry Possum, Caddy, Paruwi and 2 others like this.
  8. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I have an ancient Roland Micro-Cube that still cuts the mustard.

9. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm just gonna muddy the water. You might want to look at a Vox VT20+. It's got a good clean setting and a ton of pre-sets for other amp models.

miket1117, SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  10. frankthedog

frankthedog Squier-Nut Silver Supporting Member

May 17, 2010
    SE Ohio
    The Mustang I v.1 or 2 is amazing for the $

SquierTap, dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    I had that Behringer and I thought it was among the worst amps I've ever owned. For comparison sake, I still have a Line 6 Spyder III with the 8-inch speaker. It's been in the original box for the past six years or so and I still have the manual. I hate it a lot ... but I would still prefer it to the Behringer.

I know you will get a lot of advice for other amps but both the Champion 100 and the Mustang I would serve you OK for your needs. Plus the Mustang I still can use the Fender Fuse software, which has been discontinued but can still be downloaded.

Heck, I will join the pack. I'd recommend a new or used Blackstar ID: Core 10. I have the first version and I understand the later versions ... 2 and 3 ... are even better. I think the Blackstar has a FRFR response speaker or one close to those specs so the cleans are very defined. I also think the crunch/dirt settings are better than on the Fender units.

Cochise, JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  12. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Squier-Meister

May 30, 2019
    ND, USA
    The Fender Champion 20 is solid. No experience with the others.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Squier-Nut

Aug 18, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Boss Mini Katana

yes I’m serious

14. howserx

howserx Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    This is my current practice rig. https://imgur.com/gallery/Lmc5qem A Bugera T5 and a H&K 1x8. The T5 has reverb and is scaleable from 5W to 1W and .1W. For low volume playing I think it sounds best a 1W but if you put it at .1 and bypass the tone stack and dime everything it gets some crunch. Otherwise it stays pretty clean. I've been playing clean songs lately so this is working pretty well. Nice and small.

Generally for practice I lean towards modelling amps. they sound good at low volumes and have built in effects so you don;t have to have pedals everywhere. Initial setup can be a pain. Set up as in making presets that you like as built in ones are usually bad. Oh and another plus is that modellers usually have headphone jacks. Some small tube amps (like the Bugera) have headphone jacks but the sound through them leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't found a tube amp that has a headphone jack that I would actually use. Ive had the Blackstar H5, dark terror, the T5, and a Bantamp Atomic. All had cab simulated headphone jacks. All were bad.

15. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I have a couple Boss Katana 50 MkII's, and they are, bar-none, the best "practice" amps I've ever owned. I've probably said it like a dozen times previously, but the half-watt setting is great for home practice and the 50W setting is great for actual band practice with another guitar, bass, and drums.

I mean, I liked the first one so much that I bought a second just so I could keep one at the house and leave one at the practice space. Now the only thing I'm hauling to the space every week is my pedal board and a six-pack.

16. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Somewhere east of the rockies
    My vote is for the Fender LT-25.

17. Randall E

Randall E Squier-Meister

Oct 3, 2021
    Central California
    I'd go for the Yamaha. Too many good reviews and happy users. Wish I purchased that instead of the 100 watt monster I ended up with! What was I thinking, I only practice in a 12x12 room?

18. Ted Spikey

Ted Spikey Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2021
    UK
    I guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to get out of your amp. One of the nicest sounding practice amps I have ever had was a Fender SP10 which I didn't need and came free to me with a guitar my wife insisted on buying!. Had no effects but a pushbutton overdrive but in the end was a bit reluctant to get rid of it. I currently have a Frontman 15R with overdrive and reverb. Cost me about GBP40 which doesn't sound as nice but is a good basic amp. If you want more effects there's probably not much to choose between the Champ and the Mustang. Chose the Mustang over the Champ in the end and paid GBP65 for it. It's my go to now. Well worth the money and plenty of great tones if that's what you want. The downsides are there's only one input channel, no independent overdrive or sustain and no effects loop. Needs a special footswitch with limited application. Have never bought new and never bought a failure, fingers crossed.

Read a lot of good about Line 6 but never tried one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, I've got a Positive Grid Spark, a Katana 100 Combo, a Katana mini, a Behringer V-amp 1X12, AND a Fender Champion 40, lol... As far as "all-in-one" the Spark walks away with it... Recently went on vacation and all I took was my Bullet 'Stang and the Spark, and I had every sound I could want... I've got over 50 effect pedals, but the Spark is stand-alone... The Katana is my main recording amp, and the built-in effects are TOP NOTCH (It's Boss, waddaya expect) but for testing out pedals, and general practice I use the Champion 40... But the 40's downfall is the stock speaker, it has one of the tiniest magnets I've ever seen, so I replaced it with a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang...

20. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I like the Champion 20 for practice. It's pretty straightforward and you can add individual effects, unlike the Mustang 1 v2