Show Us Your Recording Setup

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by RetiredNSquired, May 20, 2020.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Would love to see how other folks around here are recording, and what your setup looks like. Here's my very basic, beginning rig. Running Reaper 64, with a Behringer UMC202HD audio interface. A cheap Midiplus controller/keyboard. Right now, mic-wise, I have an Audio-technica and Yeti Blue Snowball, but subject to imminent upgrades, probably an SM57 type. For when I want mic'd guitar, I have my MP15 in the guestroom closet as an iso booth. It all actually hooks up and works well together, and I'm having a blast figuring this stuff out! Show us what you're using out there. Studio (2).jpg

beagle and Silver like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    No pics. I have a Tascam DXP-008ex. Never used it really. Very clunky to use and still need a PC to do anything with it.

I have a Tascam 244 for cassette, gonna sell that. Giving away 2 reel-to-reels this weekend.

I had considered an all out DAW and studio but as my music style has changed and varied.. I had the band and the drummer had a full blown studio. Or we had no money or room or either.. Now I am in between bands. I do a lot of my own music which is surf/instro/ambient. hmm.. Then stuff with my daughter is our own stuff and nothing to complicated there.

The result? I can do everything with a looper, the Boss RC-3. It has 99 slots of memory and up to 16 hours of total time. For instance, I can get all my parts ready with my Trio band creator. I have that going into the Boss on AutoStart. I start the Trio and play entire songs into one slot, changes and all.

With a mixer, I can set up a few mics to record live, mix everything and again, send it into the Boss which is stereo.

Otherwise there are loopers as loopers. The little Tiny Donner and the Beltway are perfect.

But for me, I've done a lot of music, recordings, and CDs. It's a huge time investment for me to learn and keep up with that stuff these days. I'd rather just play and record as simply as possible,

AllroyPA likes this.
  3. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
  4. 526a16e86e859093990973ad2ccf90a1.jpg

All kidding aside, I don't record. I would never subject anyone to my playing efforts sometime in the future. :D
    Cheers, Barrie.

5. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

My modest setup: Focusrite Clarett 2Pre, Axe I/O, 2015 MacBook Pro and M-Audio Keystation 88.
    IMG_1352.jpeg

fadetoz likes this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Just built a new PC for the studio.
    Now I just need to write some music Still have allot to do to have the room ready

MVIMG_20200524_225729.jpg
    MVIMG_20200523_231935.jpg MVIMG_20200523_232002.jpg MVIMG_20200523_232006.jpg MVIMG_20200523_231939.jpg

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Stereo, does overdubs, fits in my pocket, etc..

zoom_h1n.jpg

Dinomikesr and fadetoz like this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I used to record on my computer, creating bass, drum, and keyboard backing tracks using Band in a Box, and then I'd use software from Voyetra called Digital Orchestrator to record my guitar parts in sync with the midi files I created using BIAB. That was when I had a desktop computer, and two good soundcards from Turtle Beach and Creative Labs. When my computer died and I bought a new one I couldn't install the Voyetra software because ir requires a code key to install, which I can't get, because after Voyetra merged with Turtle Beach, they no longer supported the software. And, since the software embedded the midi and wave files together into a single proprietary file type, unlike Cakewalk and other software that just kept the midi and wave files separate and synced them together. So, I can't play back any of those recordings now, even though I have many of the files backed up on CD. The only ones I can play are the ones I recorded on audio CDs as wave files of the midi and audio files together playing back. So, that soured me on recording for a long time. I did buy a little four track Tascam, which works great, but I only used it to record a few times, putting the BIAB midi parts playing back on two tracks, and then recorded guitar on the two remaining tracks. I should have got the 8 track one instead, because it only cost a little more and has reverb on every track. Now I just play a rhythm part into my Digitech looper and record me playing a solo part along with it on my Nikon digital camera. tascam-dp006-compact-digital-multitrack-recorder-3.jpg tascam_dp008_ex_1_1.jpg JamManSoloXT_Top_Text_original.png ZYFRONT-MD.jpg

9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

8 channel, guitar effects, jam tracks, drum machine, tuner, and more. Fits in my pocket.
    IMG_20200608_075718.jpg I

10. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Used Lexicon Lambda Interface box I got on eBay for $34.
    Pair of 70s classic headphones i bought used on ebay.
    Free Garageband recording software.

Priceless.
    received_1179701075705638.jpeg

11. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Garage Band may be the only reason I want a Mac

12. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
  13. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I've been working to get my recording setup going as best I can. I ended up getting a new Behringer interface that supports more than 2 inputs finally.
    Also got a new multi Effects that you can load your own custom IR files to. Sound panels are up now too. That was about 4 hrs of fun.
    All that and I recorded this with just a camera with an add on mic...

PXL_20201022_043140844.jpg
    PXL_20201021_023159570.MP (1).jpg

PXL_20201022_041659190.jpg PXL_20201022_041436511.jpg

campermoose likes this.
  14. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Looks like the gear hoard has definatly been growin... Ill be the bad influence guy again. Ya find 2 or 3 things under a bed and in a closet ya dont need anymore. Ya then mug ur neighbor and blame it on El Nino... Ya then buy an Akai MPC Live II... It aint cheap. Thats why the neighbor might be needed... But it will take the rest of the "band" into a new realm... The non guitar sounds... Then ya get the blowback to the guitar sounds... As they now sound better because the band sounds better... Just a thought as it looks like ya got the guitar sounds covered and then some with the options to pick from...

fadetoz likes this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I now use both my Mustang LT25 and my THR10C going straight into a DAW thru USB, and they both sound AMAZING! The best home recording sound I've ever gotten. I just started using the LT25, and, as impressed as I've been with the THR10C, I think the LT25 may sound even better.
    I've been using the THR with the Cubase software that came with it, but with the LT25 I've been using a very simple and straightforward DAW from NCH Software called Mixpad. I really don't like real complicated ones, 'cause I don't need to edit or use plug-ins or do big multitrack productions. I just use BIAB to create a midi file of bass, drums, and keys, and then just record some guitar along with it. And sometimes I don't even do that. I just record a rhythm guitar into my looper, and then play it back and solo over it into my DAW, with them both recorded on one track.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    It has grown a bit. I really should unload a guitar or 2. Not a bad idea to start exploring other sounds too for sure

17. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    Mine is my cell phone. Someday I want to upgrade to a audio interface.
    Jim

speelyei and fadetoz like this.
  18. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Figured id mention as it looks like u are set up and then some as far as doing the recording part and then the guitar parts as well. But then the stuff used to do the rest of the band is outmatched and then some... The MPC units have been the backbone of hip hop style production for years but they can do a lot more style wise then just that... So if someone was lookin to really upgrade the band part it would be hard to beat as a production tool. Definatly not cheap tho as the new ones are basicly a DAW inside a device that u can also play using the 16 pads and etc... Then they can sequence external gear like synths and etc. And have like never ending options for sampling other sound sources as well and on and on... Definatly really cool as far as creating a backing band to play with...

Anyways heres an example of mine sequencing a Yamaha Reface CP(Fender Rhodes/Wurlitzer) and a Yamaha Reface YC(Organ)... It also sequences the 3 Volca FM synths in the 3 tier stand as well... All sequences/sounds were created by playing the lines on the MPC using the 16 pads... Its really cool for doin drum lines and bass lines and etc...

Treehouse likes this.
  19. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
  20. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    My corner consists of a HP Optiplex 380 (Windows 10) Ableton Live, FL Studios. Audio Interface is a Behringer U-Phoria UM2, Midi Keyboard is an M-Audio Oxygen25 (4th Generation) and the Microphone is a Trust GXT. I use Sennheiser Cans, a Vox VT30 Valvetronix Amp and VFS5 Footwitch for Guitar and a Behringer BXL1800 Ultrabass amp and Zoom B1on pedal for Bass. There are also back-up Blackstar amps for guitar and bass.

Attached Files: