Show us your free guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Eddd, Apr 20, 2020.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Silvertone H 615
    Built by Harmony for Sears Silvertone line, this old 1950-early 60's flat top, 2 tone sunburst was the standard for 1st guitars. What did every 1st guitar have? A ball-bat neck. Kids couldn't play 'em, they gave up, stuck it in the closet all strung up, and 50 yrs later it was "discovered" w/ a separated and bowed to bleep neck.
    Not this one. It was in the old Want Ad mag that came out every wk about 20 yrs ago, Guitars-Free, Need DSCN3891.JPG Repair. I took the drive, 2 old warriors, stripped of every part they once had. The other needed everything including a bottle of Titebond III. This one needed tuners, bridge, trapeze, nut, and strings, and a bottle of cleaner. I had all the parts from my Harmony Stratotone days. Threw him a $20 for good will, and here it is. As they say in hockey and vintage guitars........ "save".

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Shine, jjudas, Angry Possum and 3 others like this.
  2. zadude

zadude New Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Toronto
    About 20 years ago I was living in Japan and was visiting my inlaws and went up stairs to sleep as I was bored and I was poking around in the closets and noticed an amp and behind it was a guitar in a bag. I opened it up and there was this beautiful Cherry Sunburst Les Paul (Greco) - the bag was really dusty and looked like it had been sitting around for years. I tuned it up and plugged it into the amp and everything worked perfectly. I ran downstairs and grabbed my wife and brought her upstairs to ask about it. She asked her mom and found out it was her brothers. We called him that night and I asked if I could borrow it - he said sure. I kept it for a while and knew I would either have to give it back - and leave it in Japan. So I asked him if he wanted to leave it back at his mom's place. He told me to keep it as he hadn't played it in about 20 years when he had a band in high school. I was so excited when I moved back to Canada I started researching and found it to be a 1983 Greco EG-59 Les Paul. I have a friend who worked in a guitar store for years. He fell in love with it. It is almost brand new and the neck feels like butter in your hand when you are playing. What an amazing gift. It wasn't the 1959 Les Paul I had dreamed about finding one day - but as close as I am going to get, I am pretty sure. Great guitar.

Attached Files:

Shine, Kickstand, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  3. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Only free guitar I have ever had is a Livingstone (an Aldi label) 1/2 size acoustic that someone was throwing away. I drove past their house, saw it in the trash pile, grabbsed it.

Not a good guitar at all, and it now lives in the site office of my work, where it is there to be played by anyone who feels like it.

There are a few skilled players there who can pluck some very nice sounds out of this little POS :)

I don't have any pics unfortunately, but it's identical to this...

https://www.crazysales.com.au/onlin...uner-cutaway-wooden-kids-gift-red-209019.html

Eddd, mb doug and Angry Possum like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I got this one a while ago, when it's original owner died.

sFamos.jpg

It's older than me...

Shine, jjudas, Eddd and 4 others like this.
  5. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    That's real real sweet, what brand is that?

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It's a Famos, made by Venlonia in Holland.

IMG_20200120_124319.jpg

Shine, jjudas, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  7. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    My wife's cousin saw someone cleaning up after a yard sale one day, hauling what didn't sell to the curb. When he saw these he thought of me. An old (early 70's I think) Harmony acoustic that actually plays and sounds pretty nice, and a Tele Star classical which is a bit rougher and doesn't hold tune too well. Can't complain though, was happy he thought of me and jumped on them.

Attached Files:

Shine, dbrian66, Eddd and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    Another freebie from a friend although I did put new tuners, pick ups and install a bigsby clone with roller bridge. It's a 70's Antoria FujiGen, Japan made SG copy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have at least anothe 3 freebies

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  9. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    This was a Yamaha RGX110 24 fret, it was left in one of my ex employers flats by someone who did a runner owing him money. It had been hand painted (body, neck including headstock) after stripping it I finished it with a few clear coats of lacquer put new tuners on it., it has a great action and the pick up is pretty hot too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Shine, mb doug and Eddd like this.
  10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    mb doug and Eddd like this.
  11. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    Another freebie is this Indonesian made Squier Standard Telecaster, changed the pick ups ou for Wilkinson Vintage telecaster pick up set, a black Wilkinson bridge with compensated brass saddles, 3 ply black pick guard and a black control plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shine, mb doug and Eddd like this.
  12. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    This was the prototype Bill MacKechnie Raven West model. Bill gave it to me.
    IMG_20190621_193912.jpg

13. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Not me.

mb doug likes this.
  14. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Can I have it?

mb doug likes this.
  15. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    The Eddiecaster .....:D

IMG_0858.JPG

Fergyuk, mb doug and Eddd like this.
  16. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Nope.

mb doug and fadetoz like this.
  17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

This one is mine. A gift from @Eddie of this forum when I mentioned I was GASing for a nylon string acoustic. This is an early 70s (likely 1970 based on s/n) KAY made in Japan. For the last 2-3 weeks it has been my #1 player.

PXL_20201018_001605393.jpg

Fergyuk and Kickstand like this.
  18. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    This one is a 2000 CAE Squier SE. The ad on CL stated, Free guitar, case and stand. I was the first person to reply to the ad and got the guitar a hour later.

20181120_162817.jpg

Fergyuk and Eddd like this.
  19. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I don't think of it as 'free', but I guess it kinda is.

This is the first electric guitar I ever made. A guy at Urban Workshop wanted it for a wall hanger (he collects guitars with 'stories'), and gave me $225 for it. I was stunned...

homemade tele no. 1.jpg

That allowed me to buy my GAS relief...
    20200922_155801.jpg

So yeah, I guess in a way it was free...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Angry Possum, strat_strummer and Eddd like this.
  20. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I ‘d buy that Tele.

jamesgpobog likes this.