Show us your free guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Eddd, Apr 20, 2020.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    The Jay Turser LP was black. A friend is an apartment maintenance guy. someone left it when they moved out. He brought it to me. I used parts from my shop to equip it. I finished it to look like vintage burst. Weighs almost 11 lbs...
    The ProTone I bought on Reverb. I sold it on Reverb. When it got to the buyer, it had some very minor dings from shipping. Insurance paid me the value and I got it back with a few very minor dings. I can live with that.

DSCN4752 (2).JPG 10.jpg 3.JPG DSCN4753 (2).JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

This is my Rescue Guitar.
    Every Spring and Fall the town has a "cleanup week", where they'll accept all kinds of oversized or unbagged garbage items. Typically this is when people put out perfectly good junk like old furniture or stuff with possibly useful parts, and they'll do it a week or two ahead so that scavengers can have first dibs.
    I was driving off to the grocery store last Fall (or maybe it was 2018), when I caught a glint of something shiny-ish by the side of the road at the edge of someone's lawn. Being the magpie that I am, I turned around in somebody's driveway and came back to check it out.

It was a Washburn X10 in Metallic Grey.
    When I picked it up, it had 4 strings on it, missing the 5-way switch tip, no whammy bar (not a Strat standard thread), and missing a strap peg. It had a volume pot with a Tele knob, but was missing the tone pot. Oh yeah - the neck was bent up at a 30º angle at the body with the screw holes in the neck stripped and splintered. The neck plate and three out of four screws were still there. It rattled when I shook it. The 5-way switch had a broken spring that provides the click-stops for the different positions, so it just moved smoothly.
    I figured that it should at least be good for spare pickups (HSS) or tuners, or something. No scratches or dents.
    I plugged in, and when I tapped the pickups they all made some kind of noise. A good sign, I thought.

A few months later I got around to rebuilding the neck (where it bolts on) with slivers of hardwood and carpenter's glue, and drilling pilot holes.
    I reassembled it and put some strings that I had swapped out of the VM Jag, tuned it up, and it held. Woo-hoo!
    The rattling thing was the (original?) Tone pot, so I soldered that back in. I had some generic radio instrument knobs that I think go quite nicely with it, being black with a shiny top.
    Without a whammy bar (I think it may be a 6 mm thread), I decided to wedge the block.

Aside from the slightly stiff tuner for the D string, there's nothing wrong with it. The output seems somewhat louder than my VM Jag or Fender Strat. The neck and fretboard feel pretty good.

Washburn X10_IMG_0615.JPG
    (can't see the metallic glitter in the photo)
    I have a replacement 5-way switch (from Long & McQuade) that still has to go in, and a new set of Roto Reds, then it's ready to be set up again.

3. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    Too funny - I have that same exact bass, AND I got it for free as well. It was my brother's in the mid 90's and after he stopped playing in a hardcore band it sat in his friend's basement for 10+ years. His friend found it while cleaning and my brother knew I liked to noodle & record so he handed it off to me.

mb doug, MrYeats and Angry Possum like this.
  4. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    True story; when I donated a kidney to my brother whom was dying from kidney failure 10 years ago, my good friend and guitar player in my band Sal from White Room gave me this 1995 Japan Tele as a kind gesture for making that sacrafice. I have more free ones, but I wanted to post this one first because it has great meaning to me in my life and my brothers life and a good friend. 20180808_112526.jpg

PS @Eddie cool free guitar, that's a beauty.

speelyei, jnz84, jbrowning and 9 others like this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    The fickle finger of fate has been quite generous to me when it comes to free guitars. This is the most recent. When I discovered a bit of a flaw, I contacted the company to ask what they thought. Their reply was a full refund and told me to just keep the guitar. Free is always good.:rolleyes:
    Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 8.09.38 PM.png

speelyei, jbrowning, Fergyuk and 6 others like this.
  6. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I hope your brother is doing well ,and what you did for him was beyond words. My mom had 2 transplants in the early 90 ‘s and did quite well after.

MrYeats, mb doug and Angry Possum like this.
  7. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Thank you. Yes he is doing well. Glad to here the great news about your mother. God Bless.

Vince

Eddd, MrYeats and mb doug like this.
  8. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Ok second free guitar.
    I guess the universe is listening....
    One of my friends spotted this guitar out for garbage collection several months ago. It was lightly covered by a tarp and was rained on very lightly. He threw it in his van and called me to come get it.

A Harmony Strat made in China I believe.
    It Has great sound and a wonderful playing neck

Outside in garbage.
    164174.jpeg

Bringing it home to cleanup, etc.
    20200206_150402.jpg

Cleaned up.
    20200206_182854.jpg

speelyei, jbrowning, jjudas and 8 others like this.
  9. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    My first guitar was a freebie, it was a gift off an uncle in the late 60's
    It's an early 60's Vox Clubman, I still have it but it's unplayable, one day I'll resurrect it with a new neck.
    They were made in England and looked like:
    [​IMG]
    This is not a picture of mine!

mb doug, jbrowning, Eddd and 3 others like this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    This '04 Epi Special SG was gifted to me for my birthday by my mom in 2004. It's been taken apart and rebuilt many times. It currently has Guitar Madness Dark Matter pickups in it.

20190803_161546.jpg

11. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2018
    Philippines
    Never had a guitar for free. Oh how I wish I experience something like that. LOL

But I gave away a couple of guitars and amps to kids for free.

mb doug and Eddd like this.
  12. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Hopefully we can start a new generation of real musicians,not just lousy vocalists who only sound o.k.with loads of auto tune ,redundant rappers and programmers who get the big bucks for composing some computerized beat.

Angry Possum, mb doug and Neophyte16 like this.
  13. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada

mb doug likes this.
  14. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Tis better to give than receive! :)

mb doug, Angry Possum and Eddd like this.
  15. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    I picked this one up from a friends dad while I was laid off last year. Love playing it. The person before him and started the relic process.

20190129_140315.jpg

Jim

speelyei, Best1989, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  16. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Nut

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
  17. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I bought this really nice Chibson from a Chinese seller on eBay about 2 years ago for $297 shipped. Guitar was amazing. It had a bad fret that affected only one string. High E on 12th fret. So I inboxed him and told him I wanted to send it back. He said ok, send it back to this California address, which he sent to me. He then said wait don't send it to that address. He removed the address from the return procedure. So Long story short. He refunded me all my money, and never posted a return address. Never asked for a dime ever again. 2 years now. So I'm thinking there's a wharehouse in Cali stocked with these Chibsons. I since added real Grovers and a Gibson Decal. Guitar is gorgeous. My 3rd Freebie.

20180803_174416.jpg 20190323_100509.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    mb doug, Fergyuk and Forum Guest like this.
  18. pblanton

pblanton Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2020
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I have a Chibson '56 Goldtop with P90s in it that I got in the mail after having ordered a different Chinese custom guitar that I received with no issues.

I emailed the company to ask why they sent me this extra guitar but they never replied.

About a year after I got it, I switched the crap electronics out with real Gibson parts and put in a set of Lindy Fralin's that a friend gave me. The Klusen knockoffs are great so I left 'em on. The fit and finish of the guitar is on par with a real Gibson, which I have two of. With the new electronics, it is a great guitar. Of course it has no real value, so I'm keeping it forever.

2020-04-29_10-42-49.jpg

19. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Those are very odd wear patterns.

Bob the builder and mb doug like this.
  20. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    I agree, the person who did it didn't quite know what he was doing. But I'm not going to try to fix it and it plays great so I'm happy with it.

Eddd, Bob the builder and mb doug like this.