Show us your free guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Eddd, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Great looking guitar! What’s the story behind this one? How did you get it for free?

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I bought everything in this picture as a bundle from a guy getting rid of his stuff. A week later, I sold the amp for the same amount of money as I paid for everything, so in the end, the guitar was free!

4AEEDCB9-534C-47A7-90BE-4796536E2918.jpeg

barber76, speelyei, duggerh and 16 others like this.
  4. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    O.K. Here’s the story. About10 years ago a kid who worked with me at the bike shop told me he had some guitar that always went out of tune.So about 8 years later I saw him come into the bike shop and I asked if he still had it and if he was interested in selling it. He said that he would have to ask his dad(who is also a friend of mine) . Next day I went out for lunch and when I returned it was sitting on my work bench with a note saying .”enjoy” . And there is the story of how I got a free MIJ strat.

barber76, -r3-, speelyei and 20 others like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s awesome!

BlueTele, Montandy, Fergyuk and 5 others like this.
  6. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Don’t you love it when things work out in your favor. Are those South Park magnet on your dishwasher?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  7. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Of course I don’t have digital pictures of it, but I picked a Harmony arch top acoustic out of a dumpster once. It wasn’t in the best shape, but I could play it. It ended up hanging on a wall at an apartment and I totally forgot to take it when I moved...

MrYeats, mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Oh well .You got it for free ,now maybe somebody might get some free enjoyment out of it.

9. So does it stay in tune now? Was there ever an issued like the kid said? Cool Strat for being free.
    Cheers, Barrie.

10. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    No it doesn’t stay in tune, had to block the trem..I tune it at the machine heads not the bridge. I really don’t like Kahler or Floyd Rose style bridges.this way it stays in tune no problem

speelyei, Montandy, MrYeats and 4 others like this.
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    No, not South Park. But I had to go back to the picture and look! They are just magnetic dress up dolls for my kid. The one does look like Cartman though!

1F7D73D0-2501-4807-8383-2D20861FA1F0.png

12. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Not really free as I found it lying smashed in an empty street and paid to have it reassembled, high end Ibanez Prestige.

4th November 2017, James H Cadden 6w.jpg

Treehouse, duggerh, Montandy and 12 others like this.
  13. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Why would someone do that ? Was his name Pete?

14. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Only explanation I have is that it may have fallen from a car and other cars had ran over it and someone had taken it off the road and propped it against a wall. The irony is that for such a relatively expensive guitar it was in the cheapest type of soft case, the plastic coated ones from the 1970s/80s which entry level classical acoustics came in.. The zip was burst so there were shards of wood in the street and I scooped up everything I could find out of the rain and stuffed them into the case.

Montandy, MrYeats, Shine and 3 others like this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    My brother-in-law found a Johnson Acoustic with a broken D string in a dumpster, and gave it to me. I replaced the strings, cleaned the board, and set it up, not a bad starter, about Epi quality. Even though a Johnson, it was a upscale model, and amazingly got me $125 on a trade at GC!

I did some computer work for a co-worker once, I wasn’t even going to charge him for the work, just the parts (hard drive), for his kid. When I dropped off the computer, he was so happy, he went to pull out his wallet, and I was waving him off to say just $60 for the cost of the hard drive, he said no way I was going to be allowed work for free.

I saw a guitar poking out of the closet, and asked if his son played. He laughed, and said “For two weeks, five years ago!” He then pulled the guitar (LTD F-100), bag, chords, and amp (Roland original micro), and handed them to me: “Take them, he’s never going to touch it again anyways!”

Sure enough, his son came home from school, and saw his computer was up, and immediately jumped on it. His dad asked if it was ok to give me the guitar, he didn’t even hesitate... “I need the computer, more than the guitar.”

I kept the Roland (have a bass RX, and Street cube as well now), and sold the LTD (too pointy for me).

Montandy, MrYeats, RoyalWe and 4 others like this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    No pics but I was meeting a woman at GC to buy a CIJ Jaguar 8-9 years ago for $300. I was looking it over in the parking lot with every intention to buy it at that price but apparently I was taking too long. She then pulls an MIM Tele out of the back seat and says "$300 for both". Indeed I did.

Montandy, pblanton, Best1989 and 8 others like this.
  17. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Glad you did .They must have belonged to an ex.

Montandy, MrYeats, RoyalWe and 2 others like this.
  18. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I've never gotten one for free, except for gifts or inheritances. Not sure that counts as free.

Edit:
    I did get a guitar for $0.00 on Amazon Prime Day in 2017. And another for $2.65.

Didn't use any points or anything, just had huge discounts for some reason.

Montandy, MrYeats, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  19. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    My only “free“ guitar… was this Fender Lite-Ash Telecaster given to me by my brothers and father when I was sick with Hodgkin’s*, to lift my spirits.

it was a great guitar brand new right out-of-the-box, but I replaced the birdseye maple telecaster neck with a Strat neck I finished myself... because while I love teles I don’t like birdseye maple or telecaster headstocks.
    I also replaced the pick guard with an anodized black one.

1D0DA9AA-81A9-47A6-9092-67F49904854C.jpeg

*I’m fine now, thank you. 6 yrs cancer-free.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    speelyei, duggerh, Montandy and 11 others like this.
  20. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    At first I thought "What? Who's got free guitars?" Then I realized I had.

Duh!

These two. Both gifts from Jan.

For our 40th, the "Ruby Anniversary," I had a choice between ruby cuff links or this...

Fender Telecaster web.jpg

Or, looking back a bit further, to 2004. Jan's mom and dad had left her a small cash legacy. Jan being Jan she decided to use it giving a special gift to everyone she loves. This was mine...

Gibson SG Supreme web.jpg

-don

Chefbaze, speelyei, duggerh and 12 others like this.