Show us your Artist Model Squiers, now that they are ALL discontinued

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
The only artist model guitar I've ever owned is the J Mascis Jazzmaster, a great one to have. It's also the last one "Squier" may ever make as Fender has decided to end the artist signature series under that branding. The deal with Mascis ended at the end of last year and that Jazzmaster is technically discontinued, though some retailers still have some in stock. (If you ever thought of getting one and put it off, now is the time!)

Rather than show you my Mascis, I'm going to post Fender pictures of all the Squier Artists Series guitars that I am aware of. I ask of you to post any that I missed, plus pictures and your thoughts of any artist Squiers you have owned. (I'll make a separate post about the basses.)

One thing all of these guitars and basses have in common is that I truly had never heard of any of the artists before I learned of their instruments. I still have never heard a single song by any of them to this day, including anything by Mascis, in spite of owning his signature Jazzmaster. I certainly didn't buy it to play his style of music. It simply is the best Jazzmaster Squier has ever made with great mods over the Classic Vibe version.

Ignore the prices you see in the photos below. Those were the "suggested" retail price that no one paid, and was usually $150 or more than what you'd actually pay.

Hank Marvin Strat Approximation.png
Hank Marvin Stratocaster (1992-1993; Made in Japan)
Signature on headstock. My picture is an approximation of what it looked like.

Tom Delonge Stratocaster.png
Tom Delonge Stratocaster (2002-?)
Inspired by the axe played by Tom Delonge of Blink-182, this simple and straightforward Strat guitar design incorporates a single volume knob with a Duncan-Design Detonator humbucking pickup, and a Delonge engraved neckplate . If hard-core, power-pop is your bag, this is the perfect rocker with unbelievable price tag.
Unique Features: Knurled Chrome Dome-Style control knobs. Available in Surf Green, Polar White, and Black.

Ehsaan Noorani Stratocaster.png
Ehsaan Noorani Stratocaster (2011-2015) Available only in India
This is the Stratocaster that was what the Classic Vibe guitar in my avatar was based on. There's a lot of BS about that model here and on another site (no, it was never, ever supposed to be a MIM Fender model!). Noorani is huge in India due to his work in Bollywood. Special features of this guitar included three Tonerider pickups in an HSH configuration, Sperzel-licensed locking tuners, flame maple top (transparent green, purple, crimson, or blue), though there was a later version that was solid Aztec gold at a higher cost. The 5-way switching is as you would expect except: The middle position is the two humbuckers together and the 2 and 4 positions are a split coil with the middle pickup for Strat quack. The non-standard 2 point tremolo actually has American Strat-spaced posts.

Simon Neil Stratocaster.png
Simon Neil Stratocaster 2014 Catalog.png
Simon Neil Stratocaster (2011-2017)
"The Simon Neil Stratocaster guitar puts Simon's own personal touch on a Squier Classic Vibe series instrument. Based on his Fender Custom Shop Time Machine™ '60s Stratocaster guitar, features include an alder body finished in Fiesta Red, vintage-tint gloss maple neck, Simon's signature on the back of the headstock as well as the Biffy Clyro band logo on the front, 3-ply mint green pickguard, three custom vintage-style single-coil pickups utilizing a mix of alnico III & V magnets - perfect for rhythm parts and rich, clear leads - vintage-style tuning machines and tremolo, and aged plastic parts."
Unique Features: Simon's Signature on the Back of the Headstock, Biffy Clyro Band Logo on the Front of the Headstock, Aged White Knobs, Pickup Covers and Switch Tip, Vintage Tinted Neck, White Dot Position Inlays, Vintage Styling, Synthetic Bone Nut, Headstock: Artist Signature on Headstock, Aged White Switch Tip, Vintage Style Tremolo Arm. Sold only in Europe.

List continues in next post...

Last edited:

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
O-Larn Signature Stratocaster.png
O-Larn Signature Stratocaster (2008-?)
Unique Features: Soft-V shape neck, Duncan Designed Hot Rails, No Tone Controls, O-Larn Signature on Headstock, Large 70s Style Headstock, Available only in Thailand. 3 Color Sunburst, Daphne Blue, Olympic White, Black, Natural, Fiesta Red.

O-Larn Signature Stratocaster Series II.png
O-Larn Signature Stratocaster Series II (2013-?)
Squier and Thailand’s premier guitar ace, O-Larn Promjai, are delighted to join forces once again to bring you the acclaimed musician’s second signature model, the Squier O-Larn Signature Stratocaster Series II. Its three custom vintage-style single-coil pickups can be combined several different ways thanks to a special push-push switch. Combined with the guitar’s standard five-way pickup selector switch, the result is a remarkably versatile instrument offering great new tonal variety.
Other features include an alder body, maple neck with “soft V”-profile and smooth satin matte finish, large headstock, comfortable 9.5”-radius maple fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets and black dot inlays, single control knob (master volume), single-ply pickguard (white on White Blonde model, tortoiseshell on Two-color Sunburst model, white pearloid on Transparent Blue model), two-point synchronized tremolo bridge with block saddles, and vintage-style tuners. Available in White Blonde, Transparent Blue and Two-color Sunburst gloss finishes.
Unique Features: No Tone Controls, O-Larn Signature on Headstock, Large 70s Style Headstock, Available only in Thailand

Sham Kamikaze Stratocaster.png
Sham Kamikaze Stratocaster (2009-2012)
Squier introduces its Sham Kamikaze Signature Stratocaster guitar model, named for and designed with the help of Malaysia’s top guitarist. The guitar puts Kamikaze’s own personal touch on a Squier Classic Vibe series instrument, not the least of which is its distinctive and non-traditional reverse headstock design and reverse string arrangement, which lends a certain subtle, loose feel to the guitar’s comfortable playability.
Features also include an alder body finished in Black or Vintage White, gloss maple neck, Kamikaze’s signature on the front of the headstock and a Sigma logo on the back, vintage-style single-ply white pickguard, three custom vintage-style single-coil pickups (reverse-angled bridge pickup) with reverse staggered alnico III magnets, vintage-style tuning machines and tremolo, and aged plastic parts. Malaysia only.
Unique Features: Sham Kamikaze Signature on Front of Headstock, Sigma Symbol on Back, Reversed, Large, '70s Style Headstock, Only Sold in Malaysia

J Mascis Jazzmaster.png
J Mascis Catalog.png

J Mascis Jazzmaster (2011-2021)
"Squier honors alt-rock godfather and Dinosaur Jr. leader J Mascis with a striking new Jazzmaster guitar model that delivers as much massive sound and performance as its namesake. The pickups, hardware and finish are all specified by Mascis himself for tremendous tone and value.
Unique Features: J Mascis Signature on Back of Headstock, Large '60s-Style Jazzmaster Headstock, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Squier Engraved Neckplate, Aged White Plastic Parts and Aged White Dot Position Inlays Aged White Plastic Control Knobs and Black Knurled Knobs, Tremolo unit is positioned closer to bridge.

Last edited:

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Avril Lavigne Telecaster Blacksj.png
Avril Lavigne Telecaster 2014 Catalog.png
There were two Avril Lavigne Telecasters circa 2012:
“Our Avril Lavigne Telecaster guitar features the chart-topping Grammy nominee's distinctive star logo inlayed at the fifth fret, with a checkerboard pickguard and Lavigne's signature on the headstock. Other features include a single dual-coil humbucking pickup, chrome hardware, a 'Squier' engraved neckplate and side-dot only position markers.“
Unique Features: Distinctive Star Logo at 5th Fret, Black and White Checkerboard Pickguard, Avril Lavigne Signature on the Headstock, Gold and Black Squier Logo, Squier Engraved Neckplate, Black Plastic Parts, Side Dot Position Inlays Only, "Barrel" Style Switch Tip, Chrome Dome Style Knobs
Unique Features: Skull and Crossbones Logo at 12th Fret, Avril Lavigne Signature on Headstock, Silver Squier Logo

Deryck Whibley Telecaster Black Both.png
Deryck Whibley Telecaster  2010 Catalog.png
There were two Deryck Whibley Telecasters, one black and one white: (2008-2013)
"Squier's uber-cool artist signature model is the Artist Series Deryck Whibley Telecaster guitar. Whibley, as all the cool punk-pop kids know, is the leader of Juno-winning Canadian punk-pop trio Sum 41. His signature model nails the vibe of a classic '70s Fender Telecaster Deluxe model, with features including Whibley's signature red X graphics, a single ferocious Duncan Designed™ humbucking pickup and retro-cool "Blackface™" amp control knobs."
Unique Features: "Deryck" Signature on Front of Headstock, Large '60s Style Strat Headstock, Red "X" Graphics on Body and Pickguard, Single Chrome Covered Bridge Humbucking Pickup, Skirted Black/Silver (1-10) Amp Control Knobs, Black Dot Position Inlays, No Belly Cut on Body, Side Mounted Input Jack.

Last edited:

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
J 5.png
J5 Tele Gold 2014 Catalog.png
There were two J5 Telecasters, one black and the other Frost Gold:
"John 5 is a self-described "Fender fanatic" with a jaw-dropping collection of his favorite instrument, the Telecaster ("the greatest guitars ever built, by far," in his words). His Squier signature model, the J5 Telecaster, is a double-bound beauty based on his oft-modded workhorse Telecaster, which was pieced together at the Fender Custom Shop."
Unique Features: Matching Painted Headstock, Bound Top and Back, Silver Squier Decal, Toggle Switch Mounted on Upper Bout, Chrome Switch Tip, No Tone Control, Neck and Bridge Volume Controls are in Opposite Orientation, White Pearloid Dot Position Inlays, Narrow Dot Spacing, Synthetic Bone Nut, Knurled Chrome Knobs

Jroot.png
Jim Root Telecaster Black 2014 Catalog.png
There were two Jim Root Telecasters, one in black and one in white (2012-2018):
Unique Features: Flat Finish in black or white, starkly simple single-knob/single switch control layout, black die-cast tuners and other black hardware, and two pulverizing passive humbucking pickups with black covers.

Continued in the next post...

Last edited:

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Joe Trohman Telecaster.png
Joe Trohman Telecaster 2014 Catalog.png
Joe Trohman Telecaster
(2011-2015):
Squier and guitarist Joe Trohman (the Damned Things/Fall Out Boy) have teamed up to create an unusual new take on the venerable early-’70s Fender Telecaster Deluxe. The Joe Trohman Telecaster guitar is a triple-pickup beauty that rocks a ton of tones with easy switching features.
Unique Features: 5-Position Rotary Pickup Selector Switch, HSH Pickup configuration, Joe Trohman Signature on Back of Headstock, '68-Style Large Stratocaster Headstock, Skirted Black and Chrome Amp Control Knobs, White Clay Dots Inlays.

That's it. I am not aware of any other Squier artist series guitars. I'll cover the basses in the next post. ;)

Last edited:

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2018
France
That's a great thread ! Thank you for your research!

By the way, I remember two Avril Lavigne Squier telecasters. One was black with a chequered pickguard and a star logo and the other was all Black with a skull logo on the fretboard. Squier_Avril_Lavigne_Body.jpg

Some more pics :
Squier_Avril_Lavigne_star_inlay_witte_achtergrond.jpg Squier_Avri_ Lavigne_ kop.jpg
Squier_Avil_Lavigne_Telecaster_Black_RW.jpg Squier_Avril_Lavigne_Avri_ herself.jpg

Last edited:

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2018
France
And some specs:

Squier Avril Lavigne Telecaster Black RW

Fans of Avril Lavigne's punk-rock/powerpop period are naturally already familiar with her beautiful signature guitars. You don't have to be Chad Kroeger to be able to appreciate this extensively modified Squier Telecaster. The chequered pickguard and star inlay next to the fifth fret make that this guitar is highly striking. Additionally, it sports a Squier logo and Avril's small signature on the headstock. What's more, the coil-split function makes this guitar remarkably versatile.

Squier Avril Lavigne Telecaster: construction​

The familiar Telecaster is at the base of this guitar. The raw humbucker combined with the basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard make this guitar perfect for powerpop and punk rock. Its coil-split function make this guitar more versatile than you might expect. The three-position pickup switch allows you to alternate between the clear sound of the two single coils and the raw tone of the humbucker.

Versatile no-nonsense guitar​

With a single pickup and just one volume knob, this guitar is a prime example of a no-nonsense punk-rock guitar. Punk rockers looking for a proper, affordable Telecaster with a humbucker in the bridge position will definitely be able to appreciate this particular instrument. And, as we're used to from Squier, the price to quality ratio is nothing short of excellent and the guitar is carefully finished. It is a must-have for fans of Avril Lavigne and yet its signature features are subtle enough not to put off those who aren't.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
I always kinda appreciate when an artist's signature guitar is something that won't break the bank, makes them seem less snobby or something, even if it's an artist I don't listen to...I mean, it's all marketing and just based on whatever contract they signed, but still...if I were a guitarist anyone gave a crap about, I'd rather put my name on something the kid in the garage next door could realistically afford. But that's not very likely to ever happen so I'm not gonna sweat Squier's discontinuing these guitars lol

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Oops! I missed one:

1659877231182.png
Apparently only available in 2016 and maybe only in Europe?

"The Jarman bros, longtime fans of offset Fender guitars and basses, have taken a leaf out of former collaborator Johnny Marr's book and landed themselves a signature model each, thanks to Squier.

Ryan Jarman's Signature Guitar - interestingly, there's no model designation here - mashes together a host of body shapes, producing something in between a Jagstang and Mustang.
A short 24" scale length is paired with a Duncan Designed Jaguar single coil in the neck and a high-output humbucker in the bridge, controlled via phase and on/off switches for each pickup, plus master volume and tone controls.

Scenesters will also love the stunning Burgundy Mist finish, vintage-style Jazzmaster bridge, large '60s-style headstock and metal control plate.

The Ryan Jarman (of The Cribs) Signature Guitar and Gary Jarman Signature Bass will be available from September for £345 and £330 respectively."