should i take the chrome off.

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by gary mitchell, Nov 18, 2019.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    As you know i got a sweet deal on a mint Squire M-80 special. i took the fender pickups out because I didn't care for them. I got a set of Gibson 490s hum buckers with chrome cover are caps. Anyway i was building a frankenstein p bass. I didn't have a lot of time with the M-80. Well I got it out and was going to play it, i notice I couldn't a just the bridge pickup. i took it a part and found with the chrome cap are nickel what ever, but it was and cannot go all the way down all the way onesie the back side the cap was hanging uo on the edge of the pickup hole , i can hear the giggles now. My friend suggested taking the caps off the pickups, maybe but i sort of like the caps, and i don't know if i want to deal with wax. i don't have anything to in large the hole with. i thought about taking some tape and putting some sand paper on a drill bit. what do you all think. rose-soap-with-colloidal-oats-268-r1.49x.jpg

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I don't understand what you're trying to explain.....and why is there a photo of a bar of soap?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    picture

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    After removing the cover you are going to be left with a fairly standard looking pickup with the rather obvious exception being that it is coated in nasty looking wax. There are a number of ways to remove this but I decided to just chip away at it with a small flat screwdriver. I used my fingernail to remove any wax on top just to ensure I didn’t scratch any of the nice, shiny finish. Would you do it. I put the bar of soap because of the name of it i thought it was funny.

5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    So you need to remove a cover for it to fit in the guitar? Why?

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I wouldn’t remove the cover. Go buy a cheap Dremel tool and make room for the pickups. Shouldn’t take long and you will have a tool that you will end up using a lot for guitars and handyman type stuff!

7. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    because the covers make it a little to tight, but the neck pickup fit nice.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Atlen

Atlen Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Would be easier to just widen the hole in the pickguard. Sandpaper, a file or a sharp knife would work. Don't think you will get rid of all the wax without heating the pickup. Have not tried myself though.

dbrian66 and Angry Possum like this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I think he wants clean tones. :)

fuelish, fattboyzz, grizmit and 9 others like this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    There is no pickguard - that's what's confusing me. It's a Squier M80 with Gibson style pickup rings - rear routed.....so covered pickups will fit no problem....

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Picture. Part 2.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    You shouldn't need to enlarge the holes, and there's nothing wrong with leaving the chrome pickup covers on the pups.

13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    You got soap ...

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Where there's soap, there's hope. Maybe with a little water the pickups will move freely?

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    It fits the ring but some of the wood needs taken off to fit in.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    What part of the pickup isn't fitting? Is it just the tabs on the sides where it screws in? Or is it the corners of the pickup cover...the sides?

If it really is the chrome cover that's slightly too large, personally, I would dremel or chisel out a little bit of the body, and paint the bare wood black

Bob the builder and dbrian66 like this.
  17. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Removeing the cover will make the pickup sound more clean and articulate because the second set of poles are now uncovered. If it was a plastic cover then it wont matter.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Maybe.

19. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  20. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    the thing the pickup fits at the ends of the hole, but in the middle where the pickup won't fit. the pickups that came with it they fit like a charm, but i did not like the stock pickups myself they had know cover on them. i put a set of real gibson 490s in it. like i said neck pickup went right in. the picture shows the pickups it came with. i kept them in case. s-l1600.jpg