Should I Buy This Ibby for $40

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Angry Possum, Jun 1, 2021.

Should I Pull The Plug On This Ibanez G10

1. Yes

51.7%
  2. No

48.3%
  1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'm not a big fan of Floyd Rose as I don't use trem bends as much, so I like a good stock bridge without a tremolo bar.

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  2. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I gave the one I had to a grandson. Played pretty good. The square edge body style doesn't bother me at all, and the neck was pretty nice. Like a lot of inexpensive guitars, it needed a setup and or someone to play it long enough to figure the pickup positions properly and get the strings as low as they could be. Nicely made solid guitar.

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  3. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I voted no to your original question of “Should I buy” but realised your vote is if you should “pull the plug” meaning not buy.. so don’t rely on the results of that vote too much! Ha

I don’t think it’s worth the investment. You’ll likely have a few guitars in your stable that are of this quality and it’s not going to bring you anything new. Hold out for something really special, or reinvent what you’ve got!

4. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Sounds like a fun project, I vote yes.:)

Hadronic Spin and Angry Possum like this.
  5. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I may do the creature from black lagoon wrap now if I get the Ibby. I'm checking with the company to see if they can do this photo. Should be cool.

20210602_142529.jpg

6. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Back to the original seller that is...

7. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Even if you could then flip it for $60, which I don't think you easily could without some serious TLC which would render your profit non-existent as your time is also valuable, considering it's quite beaten up underneath those stickers...

A $20 profit margin isn't really worth the hassle IMO, plus it'll hardly be a keeper, considering it's just another cheap starter guitar. I back up the idea one thing would be to take it for the $20 your friend paid for it, but $40 doesn't really sound like a score.

8. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    I don't think this is about acquiring with intention of making a profit. I think it's about having a good time. OPossum (c what I did there?) is plonking out $40 + a PuP that's hanging around plus some filler and body wrap to create a fun diversion. A night out would be more expensive than that and you might not have a souvenir like the axe when the theoretical night out was done.
    So, have fun!

9. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    I have no problems with capitalism; people can sell what they want at whatever price they wish to sell at. Great.

Now, from my perspective; friends don't jack-up prices for friends.

I stand by my original post.

Regards

J

Angry Possum and drewcp like this.
  10. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Without its stickers, this silver guitar would look really beautiful! Perhaps somme goo gone could help?

11. Shreddergirl

Shreddergirl Squier Talker

Jun 4, 2021
    Bluesville USA
    Possum, thanks... i don't feel so bad i only have about 22... hidden from hubby... i have to sneak them into the house, when he's at work..;)

12. Shreddergirl

Jun 4, 2021
    Bluesville USA
    I'm with ya... stickers on a guitar body yucko....

BlueSquirrel and fattboyzz like this.
  13. Shreddergirl

Jun 4, 2021
    Bluesville USA
    great point!!! I bet you got a JEM in your collection that would kick this guitar's butt... :D

14. Shreddergirl

Jun 4, 2021
    Bluesville USA

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Ida bought it for $40 if it weighed no more than 7lbs ;)