Seymour Duncan Telecaster Bridge Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by SteveP4172, Jan 15, 2021.

1. SteveP4172

SteveP4172 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2020
    USA
    I just picked up a used set of the SD Vintage Telecaster pickups. I noticed on the Bridge that the cotton string that cover the wire is not covered ? Shouldn't there be some black tape around the cotton string to keep the pickups clean ? If I put tape will that harm the pickup in any way ? This is my first set of Duncans so not sure, and I don't want to harm the pickups but want to keep them in the best shape possible, let me know if you have any thoughts there, thx

2. DrewB

DrewB Squier-Meister

Jan 3, 2020
    Independence, MO
    No, they don't put tape over the string.

SteveP4172 and Nduro like this.
  3. Nduro

Nduro Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    I have a fender 62'custom also with a string outside

Attached Files:

SteveP4172 likes this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Can someone please explain to me what you mean by the "string"?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. Nduro

Nduro Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    on the coil I have a waxed and taped white string with no tape insulation on the outside

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  6. SteveP4172

SteveP4172 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2020
    USA
    @DrewB @Nduro thanks for your replies, I looked on the SD website that the waxed string is uncovered, I think it would be easy to get dirty but will leave them as is.

Nduro likes this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have actually never noticed that before on Tele pickups. I guess it's because I'm more familiar with Strat pickups, which have nothing covering the magnet wire on the coil, except the pickup cover. But, I've had Mustangs, including my current CV one, where I removed the cover and the copper tape around the coil that kills the highs, so the coil is exposed, and I've never had a problem with it.