Setting up a Jazzer

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Strato67, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    Going to give it a chance because like I was saying the tone is there...tired of ******* with them though..lol...I am getting too old .

Big tuna likes this.
  2. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

The problem with the Mustang bridge is that the radius of the bridge pieces doesn't always work with the fingerboard radius. And, I have seen cases where the resulting string spacing no longer coordinated with the pickup pole pieces.

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    And, some have found, placed the strings too near the fretboard edge for some user's playing style.

-don

5. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Nearly 97% of tuning problems are the nut. Then the saddles/bridge, tuners, strings.

Caddy likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Second all the Mustang bridge comments--for that kind of cash, a 9.5" radius Staytrem would be nice, though. I doubt the bridge is the source of tuning issues.

Caddy likes this.
  7. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    I go to bed last night guitar is tune ..intonation seems spot ..joy...wake up this morning and its back to square one...this guitar is outta here...its not a pro quality guitar to me.I hope I can get a couple hundred bucks back for it.

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Bummer Strato. And as a working pro consistency and reliability just has to be a given for you.

-don

9. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    Maybe its a lemon Don...I am going to take it tomorrow and put it towards a Pro jet I spotted.

duceditor likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Has to be!

My VM Jazzmaster has extraordinary stability. I've finished a long session, put it on the stand, and gone back to it the next day and it is in decent for cold tune.

Still, it has no doubt been an off-putting experience and that is a true shame.

-don

Caddy likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    That sucks-- why would it change over night? That's what I'm wondering, anyways.

As a former Pro Jet owner, you might be jumping out of the pot right into the fire if it's the Bigsby model...

so1om likes this.
  12. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    huh. Interesting.

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Perhaps it is the guitar adjusting to the neck. Now I know several people say this just doesn't happen but I know at least twice I took an electric in to the shop and left with it with low action and good intonation ... and the next morning I opened the case and the action was higher. It occurred with my Squier VM Jag and so I hand-adjusted the rod and it seemed to "stick."

I just got back from an acoustic guitar class on setup and adjustment and the instructor said the same thing ... that the action can vary a little.

Again I've met people who swear this is impossible ... that once you set the neck tension then it shouldn't change.

Should you want to sell it I'd think you would have little problem at $200 or so before shipping.

so1om likes this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I find they often do. So much so that I wait at least 24 hours after the initial adjustment of the neck before I do any other part of the setup.

I'd say that 50% of the time there has been further motion. And that has been so for any and all makes of guitar.

-don

Caddy and so1om like this.
  15. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Whenever I adjust the truss rod, well first....

when I get a guitar and bring it home, I let it acclimate a week AT LEAST before I do any changes to it. Maybe strings, maybe a course adjustment to the strings, etc.

Who knows where the guitar has been? I bought an Epi SG from Texas in the middle of summer. The seller was a closeout dealer, not a guitar dealer. It could have been sitting in a warehouse. I live in Chicago where it was very high humidity. It traveled on a truck, etc., etc. Give it a break and let it rest afterward. And this includes buying at a mom and pop and driving 2 miles to your house. Maybe they had it in an attic.. anyway..

After a week or two, I do strings, set up, intonation. If I have to adjust the neck, I do ONE 1/8-1/4 turn MAX. And then I let it sit for a day or two. Then repeat as necessary.

Some have luck just cranking away, I'm in no rush. I have close to 50 guitars and this method is better safe than sorry.

Also. guitars can need adjustment at somepoint.

Caddy likes this.
  16. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    It was bought locally...its just not a very good guitar. I am going to flip it. Second VM Jazzer same results.. just not up to par with my builds or a 40 dollar Bullet..Stay tuned.