Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Marko60, Apr 6, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have Blowup on TCM right now

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I recorded that and watched the bit with the Yardbirds this morning. Train Kept a Rollin'. Page playing a Telecaster and Jeff Beck busting up a semi-hollow because his Vox amp was giving him trouble. Odd scene.

Edit: I just looked it up and the tune is listed as "Stroll On."

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Watching Margin Call on SHO. I actually saw the premier nine years ago at the small theater in J. C. Chandler's hometown here in Jersey. It was his first film. He explained that he grew up surrounded by Wall Street adults and when the market dumped in 2008 he had his inspiration. Interesting guy and very gracious with his Q&A. I'm happy to read that he is doing well. Good movie.

4. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I watched a movie on amazonprime a couple nights ago called The Vast of Night. Set in the 1950's. Like a Twilight Zone.

Strang_Banger likes this.
  5. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

SWMBO and I just finished "Ford v Ferrari", with Christian Bale as Ken Miles and Matt Damon as Carrol Shelby.
    Certainly entertaining to watch.
    [​IMG]
    It's really more about the Little Guys versus Corporate Giants, and passion versus bean-counting.

6. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

upload_2020-7-12_20-52-17.jpeg

Very entertaining if you like animated films

7. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Yknow, I think I forgot a couple. If I repeat myself, I'm sorry. If I repeat myself, I'm sorry.

Valdez Is Coming One of the most under rated westerns ever. A couple things to watch for. 1. The 3rd act is a game of cat and mouse. The bad guy thinks he is in control, while the entire time he is being played like Keith Richards 'Micawber'.
    2. Pay close attention to the conversation right at the end between El Segundo and Valdez. Some amazing dialog, topped only by the ending dialog.

Now, I'm gonna try and dance around that closing dialog without giving anything away, but when it's over, spend a few minutes thinking about what has happened, what was just said, and what the future holds, and then think about the cat/m0use game. It really is a great film.

Kung Fu Hustle Folks, trust me on this one. This is laugh out loud funny in lots of places. Do not even think for the slightest minute that you have seen a Kung Fu film like this before. I own the dvd and it get's played a LOT.

I can only speak for myself, but if you have even the slightest romantic streak in you, hidden or not, you might want to have some tissue nearby at the very end.

8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Watched Ford vs Ferrari today. Pretty darn good watch.

Taurus likes this.
  9. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Uncut Gems on Netflix.Never a big Adam Sandler fan, but he is great in this.

10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just watched Moon with Edward Norton on Showtime, where he plays a lone miner on a 3 year mission on the dark side of the moon. It was really good, and I'm surprised I never heard of it before.

11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just viewed "Greyhound" a film about convoy duty in the North Atlantic.

Very intense film. More like experiencing it than watching it.

Made we realize once again how wimpy we have allowed ourselves to become, and how much others paid for our too often taken for granted liberty
    Highly recommended!

-don

12. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

13. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Oh yeah.
    The Crowning Moment of Awesome in that movie is
    the long-distance sniper scene with the Sharps. The Bad Guys riding across empty open desert have no idea where the shooter is, yet they keep dropping.

14. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    " You know, Bob Valdez, you hit one of my men 700-800 yards..."|

"Closer to 1000..."

That 3rd act is almost indescribable. There are SO many great moments of dialog. When he tells the girl to "Move over.....a little more...", what I consider the best line in the film, "I knew it. When?" "Before I know better.", and the last 3 lines with that devastating last line of the film by Lancaster.

I wrote an analysis of the 3rd act several years ago. The situation is seen completely opposite by Tanner and Valdez, Tanner thinking he has Valdez trapped, and Valdez playing Tanner like a violin, completely in control, bringing Tanner and his men exactly where he wants them. That's when Tanner's cowardice comes to the front, and El Segundo drops Tanner like a hot potato...and Tanner is on his own against Valdez.

Fast forward, All of Segundo's men saw what happened, and they talk. IMHO, Tanner is completely destroyed as a man. If you saw the Harry Potter films, think of how Lucius Malfoy ended up.

15. TomL

TomL Squier-holic

I’ve not seen anything new since the start of the year, when I saw Jojo Rabbit and 1917 within the space of a couple of weeks. Both now out on BluRay/DVD/various streaming services.

Both well worth watching, but incredibly different.

I really liked Jojo Rabbit when I saw it at the cinema. Very funny, but some very sweet and poignant moments in it. If I was critical, it was that the N@zi characters all seemed very silly and cartoonish. I expected Hitler to be like that, because it’s Hitler as the imaginary friend of a 10 year old boy rather than Hitler himself, but the other N@zi characters seemed like that too.
    Watching it back a week or two ago, I’ve changed my mind slightly. Behind the silliness, some of the characters do have a touch of menace, others a touch of sadness and even of genuine care, concern and common sense. Watching ‘Hitler’ back, again behind the buffoonery, you can see how manipulative the N@zi regime was, the way it got inside kids heads, which makes the moment Jojo tells ‘Hitler’ to f**k off all the more powerful and victorious. It is a thoroughly excellent film.

1917 - wow! Brutal, horrific. The cinematography is fantastic. There are of course moment of battle, but the true horror is the landscape, the picture of devastation and slaughter.

Other than that, I’ve just been watching all sorts of old films either on normal TV or Netflix and Prime, or my own DVD and BluRay collection.

16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just watched JoJo Rabbit recently and I loved it. I also saw a great film about trafficking of children called Reclaim, with John Cusack and Ryan Phillipe, where John was the villain, a cold blooded killer, which is different for him, 'cause he usually plays the hero. And, I also saw Solo recently, which I thought was too long, but I still liked it. The guy who plays Han Solo looks like a young Jason Bateman. And, I continue to see awesome classic films that I've never seen before on TCM, all uncut and commercial free. August is the "summer of the stars" month, and a different star's films are featured every day. The only drawback is that Eddie Mueller goes on vacation in August, so there's no Noir Alley on Saturday night.

Strang_Banger likes this.
  17. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Today is Burt Lancaster day on TCM, with The Train airing right now, followed by his crowning achievement IMO, Elmer Gantry, and then The Birdman of Alcatraz, From Here to Eternity, and Atlantic City. Burt won the Oscar for best actor for Elmer Gantry, and Shirley Jones won best supporting actress.

18. Strang_Banger

Strang_Banger Squier-Meister

Really good crime film on HBO called Dragged Across Concrete. Hope ya’ll like it.

I agree with you about TCM Dougmen. Watched Ice Station Zebra other day. Never had seen it. It was great.

DougMen likes this.
  19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Right after that scene we saw Jeff walking down the street carrying a Tele.