Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Marko60, Apr 6, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Whoooo boy, Valdez is an EXTREMELY under rated film. That dialog between El Segundo and Valdez at the end is spectacular... "Ever hunt buffalo?" "Apache." "I knew it! When?" (sadly) "Before I know better..."

Yowza...

2. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    JoJo Rabbit.

Fantastic.

Block Head Ike and otisblove like this.
  3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just watched Woody Allen's film Scoop with Scarlett Johanssonn, Hugh Jackman, and Ian McShane, and I liked it a lot. I watch a lot of TCM, and I never miss Noir Alley on Saturday night. And some classics I"ll watch everytime they air, no matter how many times I've seen them. Hitchcock's Rear Window, North By Northwest, and Vertigo, as well as some of his lesser known works, almost anything with Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, William Powell, Orson Welles, Spencer Tracy, Brando, Rod Steiger, Poitier, Henry Fonda, either Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, and lately I've begun to appreciate John Wayne's films, like The Searchers, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. And also Joseph Cotten. I'll watch Niagra anytime it airs. Gaslight is another favorite, as is Double Indemnity, Strangers on a Train, the Thin Man series, and so many others. It's really hard to find anything current to compare to the wealth of classics that are readily available. I also love classic musicals from Rodgers and Hammerstein, as well as many others.

jamesgpobog and duceditor like this.
  4. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Well depends how many you’ve already seen. Joker was brilliant and I’d DEFO recommend that. Do you have Netflix? There’s a lot of good ones on that. Spencer Confidential, The Platform is weird and creepy but makes you think but best is Tiger King. That’s an interesting series.

You can get Disney+ free trial for a week. I do recommend that cos the Simpsons is on it. Every season, every series, in addition to every Star Wars and Marvel stuff if you’re into them. I actually prefer Disney+ to Netflix. Only problem is Disney+ free trial is only for a week while Netflix free trial is for a month. They’re both cancel anytime so you don’t have to pay.

Some others I can think off on top of my head are:
    Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift (i’m not so keen on the newer F&F films, but Tokyo Drift was brilliant)
    Dark Knight triology
    Logan
    Grimsby
    Borat
    Dictator
    Lots of Dwayne Johnson movies, they have decent storylines and are funny
    Ride Along (1 & 2)
    War Dogs
    Lord of War
    Spy next door

I guess it depends what you’re into. Blow is a good gangster/mafia movie, and there’s a new one on Netflix too, haven’t seen that yet.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Too bad there are so many miles between us. I think you'd be a regular seat warmer in the Bette Davis Theater.

We love theme watching. Genres and sub-genres. Films with similar moods and spirits.

For instance we just viewed two "Brit" themed films The Man Who Never Was and Mrs. Miniver - the later actually made in the states - each showing the uniquely British (well, once) :) quiet strength.

Father's Day will traditionally be 'my day' for choosing. I'm leaning to back-to-back screenings if the two "Midway" films.

On Mother's Day I quietly (and "willingly" ;) ) submitted to two Brookheimer films including Armageddon. Jan loves them, I loath them. Funny that! :D

-don

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    DougMen likes this.
  6. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Last movie that I saw ,which I liked was Easy Rider.I’m not much of a movie guy.I have it on DVD.

7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I binged these earlier this week. All three. It was a bit off-putting to have different actors playing the main characters in each of the three films, but since the performances weren't particularly outstanding, it worked. I'm not so sure I enjoyed the present day dystopia due to the fact that the premise focuses on railroads. A bit difficult to suspend my disbelief there. Also, for some reason, it was easier to believe that self-empowered creators were dropping off the grid when I read the novel. Seeing "The Shadow" grab them up didn't work for me. Galt wasn't a very persuasive, back alley, presence. At least we were spared the interminable Galt monologue in three. All in all I didn't think it did Rand justice, but I'm glad it was attempted.

The character I envision constantly, when watching current events, is that of Robert Douglas' Ellsworth Toohey from 1949's Fountainhead. I didn't find as compelling a character in this modern Atlas Shrugged movie series. I was disappointed, but glad I watched it. Thanks for recommending it. I had forgotten about it after watching the first one years back.

What did you think @duceditor ?

toohey-peter-v-the-fountainhead.jpg

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've not seen the Fountainhead in years. In fact I saw it before I'd actually read any Rand.

At the time I found the idea of an architect destroying his own work because others had distorted it interesting, but unconvincing,

The years have brought me far closer to Rand's POV. And current happenings... well I'd best leave that to another time and (especially) place. ;)

I will need to give it another viewing! Thanks!

-don

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I watched The Fountainhead not long ago when it ran on TCM. The Roark/Francon, Gary Cooper/Patricia Neal dynamic was always creepy. Certainly the antithesis to Me Too. I think most viewers will find that aspect of the plot objectionable. I would say it makes the film seem dated but it seemed that way to me when I first watched it fifty years ago. I always preferred Atlas Shrugged. The acting in the 1949 film was great though. Worth watching with a jaundiced eye.

duceditor likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I found that so in all her books as well. But underlying her entire outlook was a rejection of the concept that mankind should show any responsibility for another, beyond frankness, honesty, consistency and truth. I suppose you could call it "enlightened selfishness" although I expect Rand would have been offended by the phrase.

I personally long ago rejected the "we are all really one" thesis (although, frankly, that words ascribe more thought to the subject than the purely emotion based response most of even its hardiest practitioners give it) -- but the idea of "using" people, especially intimately, was off putting to me even when i was a young and hormone driven rocker.

I guess that is the beauty of ideas. There can in the end be as much satisfaction in rejecting them as in accepting them. I.e., "chew but do not necessarily swallow." You know... like with bubble gum.

Oh... and do blow bubbles if you wish! :)

-don

11. jordnot

jordnot Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    EU
    Short mini series, only 5 episodes, Chernobyl. About the horrible nuclear distaster in the old Soviet Union

Awesome.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes! Exceptional!

-don

Uncle Joe and jordnot like this.
  13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Check out TCM's schedule for today and tomorrow, chock full of classics, we already had DOA and The Postman Always Rings Twice today, still to come are Rebel Without a Cause, and In a Lonely Place, on of Bogart's most overlooked films, with the incomporable Gloria Grahamme. And, tomorrow's schedule is just as awesome.

duceditor and Uncle Joe like this.
  14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I think Rand may have opposed the term "Enlightened Selfishness" and preferred "Self Interest". Personally I believe in the "we are all really one" on a metaphysical level and temporally I am a big believer in individualism. I remember how my colleagues in the EU and Asia were deeply awed by the charitable commitment stemming from this philosophy. They pointed it out to me when I was quite young. I fear that, on a grand scale, it is likely a phenomenon of the past. It will always exist in art though, even if it is somehow erased from most historical reference. There's a lot of truth in art, and I believe it to be the last vestige of history to be censored, typically. It's a big reason why I love classic fiction and old movies so much. It reveals recent history that is often lacking in formal education settings, I think.

duceditor likes this.
  15. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Recently watched "Ad Astra" with Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones.
    Not what I expected. Strange and interesting, doesn't answers all the questions.

One String Sam likes this.
  16. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I went to see it at the cinema on release, it is a bit off the wall.

17. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Weekend at the Waldorf. 1945
    2 hrs and 10 min. of delightful escapism.

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Michael Clayton is one of my favorites. It's running on HBO seemingly constantly. Works for me. It's quintessentially NYC. George Clooney as the firm's fixer, Sydney Pollack as the boss, Tilda Swinton as the heavy, Tom Wilkinson as the genius lunatic plus great hit men, wise-ass card players, an empathetic Shylock, attorneys, cops, in-laws and a cute kid. The best minor supporting role is a fantastic performance from Denis O'Hare as an unhinged client. For me it's a perfect film.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

it is a perfect movie - pollacks last I think - great cast !

20. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

You guys have to see tarantino's last one - A+

Taurus likes this.