Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Marko60, Apr 6, 2020.

1. TampaMark

TampaMark Squier Talker

Jul 12, 2019
    Tampa
    The Mule directed by Clint Eastwood. I got it from the library before the lockdown and viewed it two times. I got the 30-day free Netflix subscription and saw The Last Kingdom season 4, that show is just getting better and better. British actors just kill anything done by US actors, even bit parts.

BlueTele likes this.
  2. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

We love anything British. Subscribe to Britbox. I'll have to check out Last Kingdom.

Eddie likes this.
  3. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    It seems like I've been on a bit of a Steve McQueen kick lately... Watched "Bullit" Saturday night, preceded by the "Magnificent Seven" Friday night.

I may watch "The Great Escape" later this week, even though I've seen it several times, like the other two.

4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Jan and I love themed movie days and night.

Sunday here is usually "Science Fiction Sunday" and yesterday we themed it "Steven Spielberg Day" and watched...

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.11.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 3.06.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 6.43.10 PM.png

Enjoyed 'em all!

"E.T." is so good -- so original! -- that there is simply no other film like it. If anyone hasn't seen it since they were a kid, or if you've only seen it on TV, you owe yourself a large screen hi-def viewing. It was just wonderful!

"Close Encounters" was a milestone when it was made. And it still has many examples of the Spielberg touch fo good story telling. But of the three it thrilled me least. (Still worth a view mind you -- we're talk levels of gold here!)

I'd found "War of the Worlds" a disappointment when I saw it on its release. Interestingly this viewing pretty well changed my mind.

I'd always wished for filming of the book Wells wrote. Victorian times, up close to the ugliness. A cold, impersonal, "scientific" presentation.

This wasn't that, but it had much else to recommend it. Details that other films skip -- such as what the Martians did with the people they caught. The red vines that covered everything. The terrifying aspect of the giant tripods. And the special effects were truly superb.

Tom Cruise, whatever else he is or isn't, can play the perfect un-self aware, totally selfish, man. And a man willing to grow. He was, frankly, superb here at both.

What a pleasant way to spend a sequestered Sunday afternoon and evening! :)

-don

Uncle Joe and Forum Guest like this.
  5. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

Not the greatest sci-fi, but on Netflix I recently watched Extinction with Michael Pena and liked it. Has an interesting take on things that I won't divulge here.

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I enjoy reading western history, particularly Cold War intrigue. Whittaker Chambers' Witness is my favorite autobiography. That has lead me to become a fan of fictionalized accounts of the era, particularly the novels of John Le Carré and the films that have followed. For my fiftieth birthday my mother-in-law gave me a first edition of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Great gift.

There are two film versions of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and I'm guessing anyone reading this who enjoys the genre may have seen the excellent 2011 movie featuring Gary Oldman as George Smiley with John Hurt, Mark Strong, Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch leading a magnificent ensemble cast. What many may have missed is the outstanding (available on DVD from Amazon for about twenty bucks) three DVD release of the BBC's seven part television mini-series starring Alec Guinness as George Smiley. It may prove slow moving for some. I enjoyed it. It's been almost ten years since I first watched it. Now that I have time I'm going to watch it again. Your post reminded me that it's on a shelf in the basement. I just retrieved it for viewing. Thanks!

7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I've never seen Stargate with James Spader and Kurt Russell but I'm recording it on DVR. Is that one any good?

8. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but as I recall, if you're a sci-fi fan, it was reasonably entertaining, though hardly stellar.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Uncle Joe likes this.
  9. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Lately I've been getting into old movies on TCM (Turner Classic Movies), I've watched several Humphrey Bogart films lately, last night catching, "Tokyo Joe". One night about two weeks ago, they were running a submarine-themed string of flicks, like, "Destination:Tokyo", "Periscope Up", "Torpedo Run", and finishing up with, " Ice Station Zebra", which was too late for me, especially since I'd seen that one a couple times before (but it was decades ago, and I would've watched it again anyway, but I just couldn't stay awake.)

Uncle Joe likes this.
  10. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    Here's another: A relatively recent movie (last decade) that I really enjoyed (or at least that didn't completely disappoint and piss me off), was "Body Of Lies", with Russel Crowe and Leonardo Dicaprio. It's basically a modern spy thriller, largely taking place in Iraq and Syria. particularly interesting was the relationship between the operator in the field (Dicaprio), and his CIA boss back in Washington, who used to be a field operative, but is now upper management, splitting his attention between his distant operations, and his comfortable American home life of making his kids lunches and taking them to soccer games. That whole dichotomy was very interesting and well done (and surely to be dismissed my younger moviegoers as being "boring" because there were no car chases, big titties, or 'splosions! :D)
    Don't be misled by the mediocre reviews, it was actually a pretty cool flick, vastly superior to the majority of dog**** movies of recent years.
    And though there were admittedly a few stretches, ( that's Hollywood, whatcha gonna do), it was a rare action movie, in that it didn't devolve into being a completely ridiculous comic book, as seems to be the rage these days.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I just noticed that the 1979 BBC version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is free on YouTube. Here's episode one of seven:

One String Sam likes this.
  12. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    The series is fantastic, the follow up, Smiley's People, is also worth watching.
    Edit, I think pretty much all of the remaining episodes of Callan are on you tube

Uncle Joe likes this.
  13. bluezedd

bluezedd Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Scotland
    I watched this last night based on your recommendation, and it was really enjoyable. Thanks.

gearobsessed likes this.
  14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Igby Goes Down. It's running now. I can't believe the movie is from 2002. There's a special place in my heart for Susan Sarandon even though we disagree on so many topics that dominate media focus. She may have suspected it but never knew it. Great fan. I sat next to her, at Madison Square Garden for Ranger games, in 1995 and 1996. Nice lady. I actually met her years later in Florida and she was extremely gracious. Great actress. Her first film was called Joe.

One String Sam likes this.
  15. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Sweet!

bluezedd likes this.
  16. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Started watching "Fastball". Being there's no baseball. 20 minutes into it so far, not bad.

17. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    I have been wanting to watch that since it came out, but had not gotten to it. Ended up putting it on last night, and I really enjoyed it.

18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Whoa. I never saw this one until last night. Great film. Disturbing. I'm blown away. This is an excellent recent review of the movie, but it's loaded with spoilers:

19. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Here's one for ya':
    1975, Robert Mitchum as Phillip Marlowe...the famous Raymond Chandler private eye character...(also played prior by one Humphrey Bogart!).
    Bit parts by Harry Dean Stanton and a guy named Sylvester Stallone :)
    Free on YouTube right now :) Enjoy!!

Uncle Joe likes this.
  20. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    T-34

Valdez is Coming

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020